List your favorite Westerns here!

Started by Ranbat, July 22, 2012, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowdaddy

does bring me the head of alfredo garcia fall into the western pantheon?  i guess not.  but it's a killer flick regardless.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Ranbat

I dropped into the video store last night and picked up a few to watch this week. Jonah Hex was actually not too bad for a comic book based movie. I also grabbed 3:10 to Yuma and Unforgiven. I saw they had Open Range and the Proposition. Is Josh Brolin making a career out of Western movies? Seems he's in a lot of them. I'd consider No Country for Old Men a Western too actually.
Meh :/

Sundholm

Haven't seen The Proposition. It's on my list simply because it's written by Nick Cave and Guy Pearce has a knack for finding good projects.

deleted account

deleted account

The Shocker

The Shooting & Ride In The Whirlwind are worth checking out too.

Demon Lung

Ranbat

Quote from: Lumpy on July 23, 2012, 08:04:30 PM
The Unforgiven is seriously overrated.
After watching it again this week, I agree.

Ranbat

Quote from: Lumpy on July 23, 2012, 08:03:25 PM
Quote from: Ranbat on July 23, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on July 23, 2012, 08:44:04 AM
I loved the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges.

I've thought about giving this one a chance, even though I consider the John Wayne version holy.

Is it controversial to say that John Wayne is a fucking terrible actor, compared to Jeff Bridges? What are you waiting for, the new version is true to the book and has great performances. The worst actor in the movie is Matt Damon, the cast is stellar. Directed by the Coen Brothers. What else do you want?

Watched True Grit w/Jeff Bridges last night. I still prefer the John Wayne version.

boltthrow

Quote from: Ranbat on July 27, 2012, 08:48:32 PM

I kinda felt that way when it came out.  It was good but the reaction seemed more like an appreciation for Clint than the actual movie. 

Morgan Freeman:  "Ya use your hand?"

lowdaddy

Quote from: boltthrow on July 28, 2012, 10:23:03 AM
Quote from: Ranbat on July 27, 2012, 08:48:32 PM

I kinda felt that way when it came out.  It was good but the reaction seemed more like an appreciation for Clint than the actual movie. 

Morgan Freeman:  "Ya use your hand?"

i think it's a great western but i'm not a fan of westerns.  i love that scene where hackman is beating the shit out of morgan freeman.  "and if his lies are different than your lies then ima have to hurt you.  and not gentle like before.  but bad....."   *shiver

deleted account

I don't think it's overrated at all.  I think it's rated perfectly:  totally awesome.

it's got everything you want in a western plus shit you didn't expect from a western yet delivered in western fashion.  and great performances all around

lowdaddy

diasdegalvan

A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon A Time in the West
The Proposition
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Jeremiah Johnson

Lumpy

I watched the original "True Grit" last night -- the remake is superior, IMO. Similar in many ways. Corny ending in the original, bad acting. In the originbal, there's a few long shots which show lots of landscape that are nice, other than that I think the new one is better in every way (except no Corn Dodgers). Kim Darby does display her bust (contours) though. In the new one, the girl seems more asexual or pre-pubescent, and so it was creepy when LaBouef talks about 'stealing a kiss'.

New one, hands down.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

deleted account

first one's got the mom from Better Off Dead!  other than that, eh.  I should probably see the new one

Lumpy

First one has Robert Duval and Dennis Hopper, but most of the acting is better in #2.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

peoplething

I agree with most of the picks in this thread. I haven't seen some of the new ones, maybe I'll queue something up this weekend.

Tombstone is not good. The Duke isn't for me either.

Not a top 3, but fun too watch and it definitely grows on you after a couple times through.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Ranbat

Picked up Appaloosa because it was suggested here and really liked that one. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was a good pick too.

OUTLANDAH

I'm a little disgusted nobody (no pun intended) no one has mentioned any of these

My name is nobody
The great silence(very very goo)
Blindman
The battle of Cable Hogue
A bullet for the general

DavidATX

Wild Bunch
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Tombstone
Fistful of Dollars

Modern/non-traditional:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
No Country for Old Men

skydogdiesel

grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

deleted account

yeah, WTF peoplething???  I just smoted your heavily undersmitted ass for that

peoplething

For a while I thought Tombstone was really a great western. Only having seen it in the 90's. A few years ago I picked it up on DVD and watched it again, thinking it was this great film... to no success. In fact I tried watching it a few weeks ago..... and still a big fat Nope.

Although there are some great performances (Kilmer being far and away the best), and some really memorable scenes that convey the tension and frustration the Erp's felt, the whole love triangle between Russel, his drug addict wife and Delaney ruins the whole damn film. It seriously drags all that's good about that flick into a weird fuzzy, warm, Disney meets Daniel Steele abyss that translates more into Pride and Prejudice than an American western.  

They could've easily hacked the twenty-five minutes of that stupid romantic sub-plot, and made it a top notch western.

so, smote away lover.  :-*
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator