List your favorite Westerns here!

Started by Ranbat, July 22, 2012, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted account

the romantic subplot was completely necessary because that's what happened.  or at least that's what happened according to them.  same difference.  can't leave it out and have Kurt look like some kinda Kansas City faggot.  it's Kurt Russell for Pete's sake, of COURSE he's gonna get the babe!  you're just gonna have to suppress your 8-year-old "I want all action and no yucky kissing" movie-watching sensibilities and watch it again

boltthrow

Val Kilmer was good in what was otherwise a shitty-looking, fake-ass Western. No grit, no dirt, it was actors in costumes with fake facial hair saying goofy Hollywood lines.  The End.

deleted account

nice review, Bob Towne.  "hey!  let's get some more dirt over here!  Ms. Griffin says it's not gritty enough!"

GodShifter

Yeah, dude, Tombstone wasn't good, imo.

Even the sub-standard, and overly long, Lawrence Kasdan directed Wyatt Earp with K. Costner, was better.

Though, imdb rates Tombstone with a 7.7 and Wyatt Earp with a 6.5.

gritty_fingers

Tombstone was entertaining but its no classic. I agree with Godshifter, Bolt and People although I may have enjoyed it a little more.
"Ginger People"

Demon Lung

The thing that I find funniest about tombstone is that while you are driving on the 10 just east of Tucson you start seeing the signs advertising the towns. Kurt russels face is on that sign. Not Wyatt earp but Kurt russel

Soundgardenia

Does Zachariah count as a western? If so, that's probably my favorite.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

The Shocker

Demon Lung

I,Galactus

Quote from: The Shocker on August 19, 2012, 08:38:49 PM
The entire fucking Deadwood series.

Quasi related question:  has anybody seen AMC's Hell on Wheels with Jesus Caviezel?  Any good?

Deadwood is fucking awesome btw.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Sundholm

It's actually Anson Mount and, although I've watched everything up to this point, the jury is still out on it for me.  It's entertaining but definitely not Deadwood good.

Allenswrench

'Hey Amigo, you know you have a face beautiful enough to be worth two thousand dollars?

'Yeah, but you don't look like the one who'll collect it.'

natehusky

I watch westerns a lot on Netflix , most of the good ones I can't remember the names of but at the top of my list are too bravo & one eyed jacks .

Crutch

I'm surprised there's no mention of The Man who Shot Liberty Valance. It's Wayne's best western, imo. Plus Lee fuckin Marvin is a great antagonist.

And it's on Netflix instant if memory serves me correctly.
I will show you the life of the mind.

natehusky

It's on there , I thought about giving it a run . Never seen it

Crutch

Well for what it's worth, its a John Ford film and his best, imho. Classic western in the respect that westerns are all about men coming to grips with perdition. It blows The Searchers out of the water because if you need to have a major bad guy take on the Duke, it had better be a bad mofo like Lee Marvin.

Good foundation film for the later Leone westerns...
I will show you the life of the mind.

themusketking

Quote from: I,Galactus on August 20, 2012, 08:29:19 AM
Quote from: The Shocker on August 19, 2012, 08:38:49 PM
The entire fucking Deadwood series.

Quasi related question:  has anybody seen AMC's Hell on Wheels with Jesus Caviezel?  Any good?

Deadwood is fucking awesome btw.

I love Hell On Wheels.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

kyussapple

Crutch beat me to it . Yes the man who shot liberty valance was probably the one western that got me into the genre. I used to hate westerns back in the day seeing as that's all my dad and grandad watched back before they got cable lmao.

Others I liked
Appaloosa
Dances with wolves
True grit ( both )
Pale rider
Man with no name trilogy
Drums along the Mohawk ( not really a western but love it anyway )
Outlaw josey wales

Ranbat

Meh :/

boltthrow

chille01

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was a good one, and I've lost track of how many times I've watched Little Big Man.

Maybe it is just my age, because I was a kid when they came out and for some reason Keefer Sutherland was my favorite actor (?)... But I still have a soft spot for the Young Guns movies. 

chille01

One I watched about 10 years ago and remember liking was the Jack Bull.  Just googled it, and turns out it was an HBO made for tv thing... But I remember it being decent.

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

thisissomeguy

Movies:

The Dollars/ Man with No Name trilogy
The Wild Bunch
The Train Robbers

TV:

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Deadwood
More intense than playing a game of Battleship with Roger Waters.

OUTLANDAH