Your Favorite Horror Movies

Started by diasdegalvan, October 02, 2012, 12:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

Going to add Halloween III: Season of the Witch
It's regarded quite low by the general masses but the main reason given is that there's no Michael Myers in it. They should have left out Halloween III from the title. I liked it when I saw it on TV some time ago great atmosphere. STOP IT STOP STOP IT STOP IIIIIIIIIIT

Anyone seen Dead Snow? Looks like a decent zombie movie made not that long ago (2009).

Sam Hain

Nosferatu
Original Holloween Franchise
Night of Living Dead
Fri 13th part 2

boltthrow

Dead Snow is okay. 

So is The Dead, an African zombie movie.

Demon Lung

GodShifter

Demon Lung

That shit was outrageously funny

retardgroove

HORNS

Quote from: priest on October 05, 2012, 08:10:14 PM
nice call on AAWIL HORNSy

Its just that era. The early 80s, still riding on the enthusiasm of what was the golden age of cinema - the 70s, cranked out so many masterpieces.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" is the "Citizen Kane" of science fiction, and I'd say the same about "An American Werewolf In London" as a horror movie. Even though its a major studio release the gore is first rate and Landis doesn't pull any punches. That movie has some laughs but when you're not laughing its shocking the shit out of you.

diasdegalvan

Watched Near Dark tonight really good vampire movie has Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton both of whom were in Aliens and have large roles in this movie. Delved into the western genre in a confrontation scene near the end.

Ah so all three in the picture were in Aliens the woman is Jenette Goldstein who was Pvt. Vasquez in Aliens didn't recognize her.

Lumpy

Near Dark is good, but feels dated. It seemed great in the 80s, but a recent viewing was less impressive. Still, worth a rental.

Dead Snow was terrible. Standard low budget 'college kids on vacation get slayed' and it takes like 45 minutes to get started. Clueless director. Waste of time.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

GodShifter

Another vote for "The Exorcist III". Very creepy in parts.

diasdegalvan

Quote from: Lumpy on October 04, 2012, 05:05:55 PM
Quote from: diasdegalvan on October 04, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on October 02, 2012, 01:05:05 AM
Cemetery Man, Shaun of the Dead, and Dead/Alive are great if you like a little humor in your horror.

I liked 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later (sequel). I assume you've seen all the Evil Dead movies (awesome). Dog Soldiers - pretty good. The Ring (US remake) - good. Session 7 - good.

Saw The Ring liked it didn't enjoy at all 28 weeks later.

Yet to see Dead Alive and the Evil Dead movies.

Dead Alive is super-awesome. Directed by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings). By the end, it's totally over the top, but you're already surrendered. I dunno, I haven't seen it for a long time, maybe it doesn't hold up.

Missed this post I'll eventually watch Dead Alive but a bit apprehensive having seen the trailer for it more than a couple times. Each time I've seen the trailer it comes off as being too over the top but yeah it's just the trailer.

Demon Lung

The cabin in the woods is a newer decent movie

Lumpy

Quote from: diasdegalvan on October 07, 2012, 03:05:43 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on October 04, 2012, 05:05:55 PM
Quote from: diasdegalvan on October 04, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on October 02, 2012, 01:05:05 AM
Cemetery Man, Shaun of the Dead, and Dead/Alive are great if you like a little humor in your horror.

I liked 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later (sequel). I assume you've seen all the Evil Dead movies (awesome). Dog Soldiers - pretty good. The Ring (US remake) - good. Session 7 - good.

Saw The Ring liked it didn't enjoy at all 28 weeks later.

Yet to see Dead Alive and the Evil Dead movies.

Dead Alive is super-awesome. Directed by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings). By the end, it's totally over the top, but you're already surrendered. I dunno, I haven't seen it for a long time, maybe it doesn't hold up.

Missed this post I'll eventually watch Dead Alive but a bit apprehensive having seen the trailer for it more than a couple times. Each time I've seen the trailer it comes off as being too over the top but yeah it's just the trailer.

Splatter/comedy. Maybe not what you want.

ez

Not one mention of the '74 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre?

jesus christ people.

also, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie is mandatory zombie fare.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lumpy

Texas Chainsaw 2 is also good -- that one also has some humorous aspects. Has Dennis Hopper and I can't remember who else. "Hit her again, Grampa!!!"

ez

I'll claim that OG TCM is the best low budget horror movie ever made, bar none.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

grimniggzy

Quote from: diasdegalvan on October 02, 2012, 12:15:10 AM
Haven't seen these but want to watch them:
Re-animator, Night of the Demons and The Fly.

I'll vouch for all 3 of these being awesome.

Lumpy

Quote from: ez on October 08, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

It's very good, especially because it was early on (1974). But Night of the Living Dead was maybe better (and even earlier - damn, 1968? - thanks Google!). In my opinion.

ez

Quote from: Lumpy on October 08, 2012, 04:25:00 PM
Quote from: ez on October 08, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

It's very good, especially because it was early on (1974). But Night of the Living Dead was maybe better (and even earlier - damn, 1968? - thanks Google!). In my opinion.

While NotLD was earlier, only cost slightly more to make than TCM and ultimately is in my opinion the better film for many different reasons, I'll argue that TCM still is the better horror film. Few films have really managed to convey both psychological and physical/visual horror as well as TCM did.

Demon Lung

MikeyT

Johnny Ramone's Top Ten Favorite Horror Films

Bride of Frankenstein

Invisible Man

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Night of the Living Dead

King Kong

Re-Animator

Evil Dead

Wolfman

Freaks

Psycho
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

lowdaddy

jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

BastardCthulhu

Love the Hellraiser series...well, first 4 anyway.  I'm actually scared to watch anything past Bloodline.  Input?

agent of change

Quote from: BastardCthulhu on November 16, 2012, 12:43:55 PM
Love the Hellraiser series...well, first 4 anyway.  I'm actually scared to watch anything past Bloodline.  Input?

Only liked the first two. Whichever one brought in a Cenobyte that shot CDs out of its mouth left me disappointed.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.