EVIL DEAD

Started by Marcos Reino, May 13, 2013, 02:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos Reino

The remake. I don't want to spoil you all into oblivion, so I'm just gonna' say the following: I'm a huge fan of the original and, for the most part, I really fucking liked this one... But for the one very important thing that drives me up the freaking walls, which I shall not yet mention. Has anyone already seen it as well?

Demon Lung

Quote from: Marcos Reino on May 13, 2013, 02:39:01 AM
The remake. I don't want to spoil you all into oblivion, so I'm just gonna' say the following: I'm a huge fan of the original and, for the most part, I really fucking liked this one... But for the one very important thing that drives me up the freaking walls, which I shall not yet mention. Has anyone already seen it as well?
yes and I agree with you.

lowdaddy

it was better than i expected for sure.  but it still didn't hold a candle to the original.  which i also watched recently.  the gore kept me in the game.  much more gruesome than i expected.  what i didn't like was that they tried to introduce some kind of back story about the family life of the main characters....blah blah blahs...who gives a fuck?  like i said the blood was good.  but i actually thought it could have done with even more of it.  it was really well done - the gore - so why not give us EVEN MORE of it?  all in all it was better than i had any right to hope for going in.  but, in the end, it was another one of these modern american horror films.  and there's much better horror coming from elsewhere in the world these days.

and i don't know what you're referring to as far as the thing that drives you up the wall.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Demon Lung

I will not spoil the ending.

Marcos Reino

SPOILER AHEAD:

Dude, the end, the fucking end, Jesus, wtf? I didn't mind the back story or the modern "realistic" approach, I hated with a passion that they resurrect the chick, I swear I was almost going boooo... and then as if that wasn't enough, after an hour and a half of gory creepy and ugly, it gets all Sam Raimi funny all of a sudden... super baddie comes up from the ground (bad) so she rips her own arm off with super human strength (really bad) and kills the demon with a chainsaw while going all "feast on this, bitch!" ....WHY?? Horrible! Really? I fucking hated that, not even for a cartoony bad horror flick. No. Jesus. I hope they have a DVD with an alternate ending version... was it too much to let the bad guys win like in the original? The whole part was completely unnecessary, at least end it with the classic shot running at full speed through the forest at ground level and end in the guy's face... this is like when they fucked up JU-ON remaking it to make Buffy the freaking Vampire Slayer survive in the end... is that really fucking necessary, do they need to please audiences who go through so much gore and pus by letting 'em have the good guys win??? WHY???? Is there a Dollar in that? This is Evil Dead, dammit! I can live with it being demons instead of Lovecraftian Necronomical things - although that was way better - but let the evil fucking spirits win, for crying out loud!

Other than that, I liked it a lot. I went in stoned and it did keep me consistently tense and freaked and in love. Until the horrible, horrible, dissappointing ending.

Marcos Reino

by the way man, if you want more blood, I'm sure they'lll release a non-theatrical version with a whole bunch of extra gore.

lowdaddy

Quote from: Marcos Reino on May 13, 2013, 08:45:00 PM
SPOILER AHEAD:

Dude, the end, the fucking end, Jesus, wtf? I didn't mind the back story or the modern "realistic" approach, I hated with a passion that they resurrect the chick, I swear I was almost going boooo... and then as if that wasn't enough, after an hour and a half of gory creepy and ugly, it gets all Sam Raimi funny all of a sudden... super baddie comes up from the ground (bad) so she rips her own arm off with super human strength (really bad) and kills the demon with a chainsaw while going all "feast on this, bitch!" ....WHY?? Horrible! Really? I fucking hated that, not even for a cartoony bad horror flick. No. Jesus. I hope they have a DVD with an alternate ending version... was it too much to let the bad guys win like in the original? The whole part was completely unnecessary, at least end it with the classic shot running at full speed through the forest at ground level and end in the guy's face... this is like when they fucked up JU-ON remaking it to make Buffy the freaking Vampire Slayer survive in the end... is that really fucking necessary, do they need to please audiences who go through so much gore and pus by letting 'em have the good guys win??? WHY???? Is there a Dollar in that? This is Evil Dead, dammit! I can live with it being demons instead of Lovecraftian Necronomical things - although that was way better - but let the evil fucking spirits win, for crying out loud!

Other than that, I liked it a lot. I went in stoned and it did keep me consistently tense and freaked and in love. Until the horrible, horrible, dissappointing ending.

actually i had completely forgotten about the ending.  i guess the film just didn't register that strongly in my brain.  or maybe i'm just getting older and my brain is tired of remembering stupid shit for me.   :D

The Shocker

I wanted "Raining Blood" to play when it was raining blood.

Demon Lung

Quote from: The Shocker on May 14, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
exactly what I said

JkFlesh

Quote from: Demon Lung on May 14, 2013, 09:38:18 PM
Quote from: The Shocker on May 14, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
exactly what I said

I saw a sneak preview with the director and he said that scene was actually a tribute to "Raining Blood".  R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman.

The Bandit

If that's the case, why not have it in there?  Missed opportunity.

WhoreOfTijuana

pretty much agree with what's going on in this thread.  Was apprehensive going in loving the originals, came out all right tho.

frobbert

I have zero interest in watching this
bite me

WhoreOfTijuana

Quote from: frobbert on June 27, 2013, 05:59:39 AM
I have zero interest in watching this

It was nice Frobbert in the bringing back the Evil Dead vibe, camera work, etc.

If you go in knowing the girl is NOT Ash, and not going to be Ash, just a different timeline all together it makes it fun

frobbert

If I want 'fun' I'll watch a comedy thankyouverymuch. Fuck all those unneccesary remakes  >:(
bite me

Demon Lung

Yeah man but its not a remake. It has nothing to do with the other movie. You really should check it out. You will be pleasantly surprised. Look at how many of us were. And you know that there are some movie snobs in here. Check it out. It's not a waste of time. It's fun like the original is fun. That is about as much as they have in common.

frobbert

I'm kind of done with 'fun' horror movies. I much prefer movies that take their horror seriously, like Let The Right One In, Martyrs, [Rec], Kill List, Calvaire and Antichrist. Yes, all non-American movies (although some of them were remade and dumbed down by Americans). 'Fun' is exactly what's wrong with American horror nowadays. Even non-genre movies by arthouse directors like Michael Haneke and Lars von Trier are scarier than anything by hacks like Rob Zombie or Eli Roth. Fuck 'fun' horror!  >:(

So there!

(but hey, I probably will check it out when it comes on TV though  ;D )
bite me

lowdaddy

Quote from: frobbert on July 01, 2013, 02:33:51 PM
I'm kind of done with 'fun' horror movies. I much prefer movies that take their horror seriously, like Let The Right One In, Martyrs, [Rec], Kill List, Calvaire and Antichrist. Yes, all non-American movies (although some of them were remade and dumbed down by Americans). 'Fun' is exactly what's wrong with American horror nowadays. Even non-genre movies by arthouse directors like Michael Haneke and Lars von Trier are scarier than anything by hacks like Rob Zombie or Eli Roth. Fuck 'fun' horror!  >:(

So there!

i'd add inside to that list.  it's a great french horror flick.  and i agree with everything you said.  although i haven't seen a couple of movies on that list.  will have to remedy that.

frobbert

O yeah, those fucked-up Frenchies. Gaspar Noe's movie Irréversible literally made me sick. Still have to check out Inside.
bite me

retardgroove

So there!

I need to watch Kill List again. It was fun.

frobbert

Quote from: retardgroove on July 01, 2013, 03:49:10 PM

So there!

Actually Ben Wheatley's next movie after Kill List (Sightseers) is fun. As in genuinely funny, not wink-wink-nudge-nudge-look-at-me-being-all-hip-and-postmodern funny. It's also pretty gruesome.
bite me

retardgroove

Quote from: frobbert on July 01, 2013, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: retardgroove on July 01, 2013, 03:49:10 PM

So there!

Actually Ben Wheatley's next movie after Kill List (Sightseers) is fun. As in genuinely funny, not wink-wink-nudge-nudge-look-at-me-being-all-hip-and-postmodern funny. It's also pretty gruesome.
It's still not out in the U.S., but in my Netflix que.

lowdaddy

just watched kill list on netflix.  sooooooo what the fuck was that.  i'm lost.

retardgroove

Quote from: lowdaddy on July 02, 2013, 12:25:32 AM

It's a family drama, mob drama, horror drama. The had already started the ritual from the beginning of the movie as I took it.

frobbert

Quote from: lowdaddy on July 02, 2013, 12:25:32 AM
I think it's great that there are still directors with a vison all their own. Ben Wheatley is one of the more interesting contemporary filmmakers right now. Like I said Sightseers was also great and his new upcoming movie looks promising too:
bite me