what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Picked up "God Bless You Mr Rosewater" 2nd hand walking into town today, now have that, "Sirens of Titan" and "Galapagos" in my "to read" pile.
Are you morbid?

diasdegalvan

Just finished The Children of Hurin written by Tolkien I think I read shortly after WWI revised it several times later but never completed it before he died. Finished by his son Christopher using his manuscripts. If you enjoyed Lord of the Rings I think you would like this. It's set 6500 years before the War of the Ring and is about this curse Morgoth laid upon Hurin and his kin for having defied him. Most of the book deals with Turin his son (seen on cover of book). No happy ending in this one.

Current book I'm reading.

lowdaddy

recently finished volume 2 of solzhenitsyn's gulag archipelago.  then i tried to read proust's in search of lost time, volume 1.  i got about 30 pages in and said, "fuck this pansy-ass bullshit.  now i'm about to start henry miller's the oranges of hieronymus bosch.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

diasdegalvan

The Zapata book was a great informative account on maybe the most revered man in Mexican history and deservedly so. Since he was elected to protect his villages' land rights he always stayed true to them and the Morelos country people through those turbulent times until he was betrayed and killed.

Mr Neutron

Just finished Less Than Zero.
horrible. one of the worst books i can remember reading.

starting on The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway
"Where words fail, music speaks."

acrimony

Less than Zero was good but very dated!

Reading some new Bukowski's short stories. So far, so good!

diasdegalvan

Just finished The Waste Lands book III of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Ties up some loose ends with the first and second book and delves further into Roland's world but I didn't like how it ends on a cliffhanger. Really cool action-adventure series highly recommended think of the man with no name of the Sergio Leone films with a fellowship of three other pilgrims from our own world journeying with the gunslinger in his and theirs quest for the Dark Tower in his world that has "moved on."

Now I'm starting Cain by Jose Saramago.

diasdegalvan

I finished reading Cain as well as The Hobbit now I'm continuing on with the Dark Tower series in Wizard and Glass book IV.

lowdaddy

just started freud's interpretation of dreams.

MadJohnShaft

Personal Narrative Of A Pilgrimage To Al-Madinah And Mecca : Volume 2 by Sir Richard F Burton.

I'm digging this, but sure is damn long - we finally got out of Medinah and are going on to the Haj to Mecca on our camels. Written in 1850, I have some of his other books now, they are all public domain.

I better go back to White Teeth by Zadie Smith before I forget what was going on.  And started that Frank Langella bio.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

diasdegalvan

I just finished Wizard and Glass book IV of the Dark Tower series. This one didn't really move the quest much further on as 90% of the book was Roland telling the story of his first love and ka-tet. The story had been told previously only in parts and short on details so it was nice reading the story in full. Thought it was great much more of a western than the previous books.

I also read the first two Harry Potter books fast easy reads.

Had a hard time choosing what to read next but I'm going with Dune by Frank Herbert.

Jötun

[soundcloud]http://snd.sc/NHCMKH[/soundcloud]

AgentofOblivion

The Information:  A History, A Theory, A Flood by J. Gleick
A fantastic book thus far.  Information theory is revolutionizing the way we think of the Universe, physics, and history and this is a book to help illuminate the public on this new paradigm.  I'm only in the beginning stages, but his treatment on the invention of logic being born from the code of the alphabet has been fantastic.  He argues that consciousness itself and what we mean in the modern sense by the word "thinking" was not in existence until language was shaped by the creation of symbolic written words.  My favorite quote so far, "In the long term, history is the story of information becoming aware of itself."  Great stuff founded in legitimate science and presented by a talented writer.

black aspirin

Just finished Quantum Man by Lawrence Krauss, a book about Richard Feynman.

Now I'm on Hitch-22, the memoirs of Christopher Hitchens.
This Juan goes to 11.

mortlock

Quote from: black aspirin on July 07, 2012, 04:51:39 PM

how was quantum man. sounds interesting..  

black aspirin

Quote from: mortlock on July 08, 2012, 08:29:39 PM
Quote from: black aspirin on July 07, 2012, 04:51:39 PM

how was quantum man. sounds interesting..  

It was really good, although there's only so much of the technical science stuff that I could understand.  I'm fascinated by Feynman, so anything about him is interesting.
This Juan goes to 11.

lowdaddy

finally finished the freud.  now i'm into a collection of tolstoy's short novels.

juggernaut

Just finished this a few days ago and loved it.  It's a perfect beach read.  If you're into video game nerdery and 80's pop culture references it will be right up your alley.

frobbert

Finally finished Moby Dick. The climax certainly pays off but I'm never reading that one again. Waaaaaay too much whaling shit.

Now reading David Mitchell - The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
bite me

Dunedin

Just started on "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker. Just finished a trashy true crime thing about a Mafia hitman called Tommy "Karate" Pitera who bore all the hallmarks of a serial killer and is claimed to have killed over 60 people.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

diasdegalvan

Just finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin only on page 80 or so but I've noticed the HBO series is pretty loyal to its original source material.

lowdaddy

just began one hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez.  i'm also reading rustic italian food by marc vetri.

Andrew Blakk

Just finished this one:

and have started with...:

MadJohnShaft

Cloud Atlas, before The big movie comes out
Some days chickens, some days feathers

themusketking

Clash Of Kings by George R.R. Martin. About 500 or so pages into it. I really dig this series so far.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.