what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juggernaut

Quote from: themusketking on October 02, 2012, 07:07:10 PM
Clash Of Kings by George R.R. Martin. About 500 or so pages into it. I really dig this series so far.

Just wait until you finish the next book.   My jaw was hanging open by the end of that one.

themusketking

I'm really pumped about it.  It's not a challenging read, but there's so much to take in. I love HOW the books read.  Good stuff, indeed.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

lowdaddy

the complete works of isaac babel - isaac babel

on food and cooking - harold mcgee
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Andrew Blakk

I'm on a roll. Finished yesterday The Circle... A teenage book about witches (My daugthers)

Today I'm reading Metro 2034 by Dmitry A. Glukhovsky.

MadJohnShaft

Mo Yan, the Chinese writer best known for his 1987 novel "Red Sorghum," has won the 2012 Nobel Prize in literature.

When someone gets that - is it awarded for the book they just wrote? Or is it just for being a good writer.... I bought the new one but maybe I should have got Red Sorghum instead...

Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

I'm reading Cloud Atlas and now that it's a movie, as I am progressing in reading it, each subsequent airing of the same commercial makes a little more sense.

All books should have that - a kick ass marketing campaign.

The Shocker

Mr. Poopypants

Reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, translated by Yuji Oniki. I'm a little late picking up this book, but truth be told I only recently learned about it from reading Amazon reviews on The Hunger Games by Collins. I really don't intend to read THG only because it seems a bit too rated G for a story that should be more explicit in its narration. I'm liking BR so far. Just finished reading the chapter where Takako gruesomely kills Kazushi after he attempts to kill/rape her. I found it a just killing. The others, I disapprove.

And oh, I also picked up a free copy of Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert. I sort of know what type of reading I can expect from this book, but something compels me to read it. Please don't judge me.

Andrew Blakk

The Destitutes of Lodz by Steve Sem-Sandberg. (I think it just has been translated into english this fall)

It's about a jewish getto in Poland during WW2. Fantastic book, but of course quite cruel and heavy.

Recommended!

MadJohnShaft

Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter

This went down like a smoke bear ham.... interesting book.  He has a hunting show on the Sportsman's channel and is an interesting guy. I will keep following him.

http://www.amazon.com/Meat-Eater-Adventures-American-Hunter/dp/0385529813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353425199&sr=8-1&keywords=meateater

MadJohnShaft

I bailed on Cloud Atlas, I wasn't following it so at the 50% mark I am out.

I need a more easier straight forward read so I am starting a classic

The Bandit

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on November 30, 2012, 09:52:17 AM
I bailed on Cloud Atlas, I wasn't following it so at the 50% mark I am out.

I need a more easier straight forward read so I am starting a classic

Hey I read that one (my dad is a big scifi fan).  Isn't it part of a series?

Poopy, Hunger Games is most definitely not G rated.  The book is much more graphic than the movie.

Currently reading  Haunted: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk.  Interesting structure to it.   

MadJohnShaft

Ryno

MJS...I try to avoid about 95% of the gibberish you usually post, but with that Enders Game post, and your occasional good food post, I'll roll it back to 50%.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

khoomeizhi

ender's game is a fun one, for sure. i'm a fan of speaker for the dead and xenocide, too...

mjs - consider reading ender's shadow next. same story from bean's p.o.v. interesting to counterpoint. the later ones in the 'shadow' series were alright but...earthbound. geopolitics? boring.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

kevin2012

Am reading the top moody talk.. Why DO I LOVE YOU!!!! increadible fentastical journey!!!

MadJohnShaft

Reading is not as good as typing

berrugal

As I recently started goofing around in aikido, a Japanese martial art, I googled some related stuff and among the many things one could found I found this story of a kid who wants to do a martial art in California and goes from gym to gym, or rather from "dojo" to "dojo", trying the free classes and reviewing the whole thing.

He studies electrical engineering at Berkeley, and in this thread

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12882&s=

he tells the story of how he attends the 4 free introductory classes  (guess his engineer thing is why they cut him some slack in the first place ) at a certain "elite of the elite" dojo. Really entertaining, and the comments in between add up to the fun. Also, the spaces between posts, give the feeling of wait, as in it's monday and he's attending his next class on wednesday, so there are several posts from other people in between the stories, not the whole thing...  I don't know, but with this and other threads I've been going to sleep really late lately !`

I'm not the only one, here's some critic from reader:

QuoteMan, I should have been in bed two hours ago, but no way could I crash without reading the latest installment of this saga!
Last edited by Dustdevil; 6/02/2004 3:59am at
Regarding the map, we are lost

diasdegalvan

Game of Thrones still put it down for about a month but I'm close to finishing it. Also reading The Wind Through the Keyhole which is book 4.5 in the Dark Tower series. Starts off right after Wizard and Glass and it also involves Roland telling a story about him in his youth.

Danny G

^^^
Never heard of that one, big fan of the Dark Tower series. Thought they lost steam in the last few, as if King was trying to be done with it already. But the very end of the very last book was pretty awesome.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Reading  "A tree Grows in Brooklyn".  If you read this and you are still a wasteful asshole then fuck you.
No Focus Pocus

diasdegalvan

Finished reading The Wind Through the Keyhole
It's a Dark Tower novel that takes place in between book 4 and 5 although most of it is stand alone. For about 1/3 of the book it takes place in Roland's youth like Wizard and Glass. One half of the book Roland's youth self tells a story from where the name of the book comes from. A story within a story within a story hehe. I really enjoyed the Wind Through the Keyhole story the Roland in his youth story was okay.

Also read today while at Target Darth Vader and Son. Cute little book.

Started reading today Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell.

diasdegalvan

Finished Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell which is about Orwell's experience fighting in the Spanish Civil War was on the Republican side serving in the POUM militia on the Aragon front. He also gives his take on the politics on the Republican side of the war through what he saw. Survived getting shot in the neck by a fascist sniper and the witch hunt on anyone related to the POUM.

Right now I'm almost done reading The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes On A Latin American Journey by Ernesto Che Guevara

MadJohnShaft

You only look at the pictures

I am reading another of the Enders books, good call on switching to Enders Shadow second.