what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
I read previously Heart of a Dog by the same author and enjoyed that. The book I'm reading now is regarded as his classic. I'm enjoying it thus far immensely.

lowdaddy

Quote from: diasdegalvan on January 05, 2013, 12:57:12 PM
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
I read previously Heart of a Dog by the same author and enjoyed that. The book I'm reading now is regarded as his classic. I'm enjoying it thus far immensely.

Such a great book.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

diasdegalvan

Death with Interruptions by José Saramago
Midnight January 1st new year nobody dies this continues on in an unnamed country who have to deal with the effects of no one dying.

Andrew Blakk

After Walk this way about Aerosmith (a good one acctually) I've been throwing myself over A feast for crows. Finally! I've been putting it on hold for quite some time now...

Ah, awesome!  ;D Cerise, Brienne, Sansa, The wall, dragons, Lord Stark etc. Like a long lost friend!

diasdegalvan

Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen
About the legend and murder of Edgar J. Watson. I'm about 90 pages into it and the book so far is incredibly good it's being told here in book 1 by the perspective of friends and family.

And

Continuing withe the Dark Tower series with Wolves of the Calla book V by Stephen King

alfie

Kurt Vonnegut - God Bless you Mr Rosewater - like it very much!
Are you morbid?

SabbathJeff

since i've moved here to bumfuckville PA i've been reading a lot.  Got through-

The Teachings Of Don Juan
At The Mountains Of Madness
America (The Book)
I Am Legend
The Greatest Show On Earth/The Evidence For Evolution
Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The Fall
A Very Short Introduction To...Atheism
and probably 10 others I can't remember.

I finished each book and felt nothing for them, engrossed while reading, yet completely free of opinion once finished.  I wasn't like this before lithium.  I've since slowed down on the reading after the fall about 3/4 days ago; it's hard to pick a book up after that one I suppose.  But I took a reading break because I wanted to try to let the knowledge contained in each just sit with me, if any was gained, it's fighting to make new memories but i'm not who I used to be and it's hard.  I want to read a book and absorb it's knowledge, not just read it, wait awhile, and start the next one.  It's frustrating, but the reading itself has been calming, nothing heavy emotionally in any direction post lithium, so it's odd. 

I really enjoyed Dawkins' latest work; their wasn't a finality to it, but I for one feel that that book is the On the Origin of the Species of my generation, or my parent's I suppose, but this time, this channel...it expounds detailed yet understandable concepts using Darwin's idea as a basis, yet using all of the knowledge gained up to time of writing as well, making for a thorough tool for the naturalist, yet still the grandiostity of nature lay in itself not in his pages, and once read, one understands how massive, complex and beautiful life itself is, or comes that much closer to the grandeur in any respect. 

I've been trying to read disparate things and really open myself up to new things, reading my brother/his fiances books, or my dads (I stole the don juan teachings, 4 realz).  It's interesting.  They keep you occupied well when it's quiet and you can really get into it,
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

MadJohnShaft

Man, Cloud Atlas sucks. Full that.  I am finally finishing up White Teeth, but reading the Enders game books is getting in the way.

Serious Books are starting to really piss me off, so many things that come highly recommended are either impenetrable or hard to follow.

themusketking

The Way of Shadows. Book 1 of the Night Angels series by Brent Weeks.  Aboot 300 pages in...love it so far. Will be starting A Storm Of Swords, book 3 of the Game Of Thrones series after I finish this one. Reading essentially ANYTHING else is easy reading once you've read 2 George RR Martin books in a row. 2000 pages of Game Of Thrones, lol.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

giantchris

Quote from: themusketking on January 29, 2013, 12:21:56 AM
The Way of Shadows. Book 1 of the Night Angels series by Brent Weeks.  Aboot 300 pages in...love it so far. Will be starting A Storm Of Swords, book 3 of the Game Of Thrones series after I finish this one. Reading essentially ANYTHING else is easy reading once you've read 2 George RR Martin books in a row. 2000 pages of Game Of Thrones, lol.
Night Angel series is pretty good but the Black Prism series or w/e it's called is a bit better.  Night Angel was a little predictable.  I'm surprised more of you guys don't read Brandon Sanderson (and don't hear much about Joe Abercrombie here either).  Both of those two are just as good sa George RR Martin and I'd be inclined to say Mistborn is better then Game of Thrones but it's awfully close. 

Sundholm

Just finished The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington. Hilarious 14th Century black comedy.

And The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks.  I haven't read any of his Sci-Fi but, after this, I will.

Starting on We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.

Dylan Thomas

I am reading the third Song of Ice And Fire novel, A Storm Of Swords.  I'll probably start some non-fiction book soon as well, I like to read a fiction and non-fiction book at the same time.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

konz

We live in Water- Jess Walter
Collection of short stories, highly recommended.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

diasdegalvan

Right now I'm reading Roadside Picnic and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

I read two of the previous Harry Potter books and The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King recently. I really enjoyed Eyes of the Dragon it's a fantasy book set I think in the same world as the Dark Tower books but in a past medieval period has a familiar antagonist one Randall Flagg. Taking a break from Shadow Country and Wolves of the Calla.

GodShifter

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on February 19, 2013, 07:34:03 AM
I am reading the third Song of Ice And Fire novel, A Storm Of Swords.  I'll probably start some non-fiction book soon as well, I like to read a fiction and non-fiction book at the same time.

If you want a good non-fiction book, I recommend Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. A very good account of a WWII POW, Louie Zamperini, who was stranded at sea for 28 days and then endured horrible brutality by his Japanese captors.

TSOIAF books are aces. Well, the first three are anyway. I've read those twice now.

Dunedin

I know its a kids book but I'm really enjoying the "His Dark Materials" series of books.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

SabbathJeff

Slowly finishing Childhood's End.  Sci-fi isn't really one of my genres in literature, I like some movies fine, but i feel like stuff like this just takes too many liberties.  i don't think it's clear enough how the overlords manage within a century to stop all negative behaviors or whatever.  It just sort of happens, like everyone, and I mean everyone, just said "okay" and changed.  I don't see that it works that way, but again, I don't know what I would do if some overlords came to town; certainly I'd try to talk to them and see if they wanted me to do anything differently, etc. but to completely stop being who you are if you're a evil person or whatever?  I don't think the sight of 10,000 saucers would do that to all man, but I don't know.  I didn't write an international smash seller.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

themusketking

Finished The Way Of Shadows. Loved it.  Just started Storm Of Swords. Cannot wait to knock it out so I can finish the Night Angel trilogy.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

MadJohnShaft

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on November 20, 2012, 10:28:18 AM
Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter

This went down like a smoke bear ham.... interesting book.  He has a hunting show on the Sportsman's channel and is an interesting guy. I will keep following him.

http://www.amazon.com/Meat-Eater-Adventures-American-Hunter/dp/0385529813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353425199&sr=8-1&keywords=meateater

I really dig this so I read it again - I read the free part of his Buffalo book and may read the rest.

I,Galactus

I'll probably read lots more Steinbeck later because holy shit do I ever wish my life actually meant something.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

diasdegalvan

Previously read Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Book II in Hunger Games trilogy), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick and Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest is the book I'm reading right now first book in the steampunk genre for me pretty good so far.

MadJohnShaft

I have Boneshaker but haven't cracked it open - any good?

Finally reading this....

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

diasdegalvan

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 08, 2013, 10:51:42 AM
I have Boneshaker but haven't cracked it open - any good?

I'm midway through and it's ok so I can't really recommend it. It has a good premise/ideas (post-apocalyptic down town Seattle with zombies/airship pirates) promising a fun read but the actual plot is rather boring but my main problem with it is I don't care too much for the two main characters. I could probably think of more bad things to say than good things.