what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - the kindle edition is not available and I suspect it's because it is messed up like the iBooks edition, the reviews mention missing chapters and formatting issues.  Guess I will have to read the stupid paper edition.  Ours has got a big old crack in it so I would need to go to booksbythepound and purchase it.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

I got The Tunnel to read eventually

Thirty years in the making, William Gass's second novel first appeared on the literary scene in 1995, at which time it was promptly hailed as an indisputable masterpiece. The story of a middle aged professor who, upon completion of his massive historical study, Guilt and Innocence in Hitler's Germany, finds himself writing a novel about his own life instead of the introduction to his magnum opus. The Tunnel meditates on history, hatred, unhappiness, and, above all, language.

Soundgardenia

Just finished reading Blindness by José Saramago. It's a great book, however, I wish I have read it in the original Portuguese version... Apparently the translator died while he was working on this particular book, and unfortunately, the switch of translator becomes quite apparent. Asked my mom to send me the original and will give it a second try.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

alfie

Dancers at the end of time, Michael Moorcock. I have to be in the mood for him but he is a genius. Very funny.
Are you morbid?

MadJohnShaft

So many many fantasy novels read here.

I'm thinking of The Company - I am in the mood for a spy novel and this one gets amazing reviews

lowdaddy

just finished some murakami.  started petersburg by andre bely today.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

MadJohnShaft

I'm sad the massive 1Q84 got a cold reception. I like his writings so I didn't mind that not much happened, that book got in me.

When is Scarlett Thomas going to write new book?  (Apparently Sept or so) The last one was poor

I ordered a copy of this, after reading a bit online:

Elements of Algebra
Book by Leonhard Euler
Elements of Algebra is a mathematics textbook by mathematician Leonhard Euler, originally published circa 1765. His Elements of Algebra is one of the first books to set out algebra in the modern form we would recognize today.

Soundgardenia

Currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

SabbathJeff

Just started and have to finish my sunday night An Unquiet Mind.  An intern who runs a group handed it to me.  Hits home in many ways, in others not at all.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

I,Galactus

This ridiculousness:

Then I will be done with fantasy forever.  Except now I'm watching Game of Thrones, too.  :-[
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

SabbathJeff

Finished An Unquiet Mind.  Very interesting.  The author's and my experiences with manic depression were very different, and her answer doesn't answer it for me, but I keep on chuggin for my own reasons now.  Love and Lithium are two very different things, and while I have one I feel like i can't feel the other.  I've tried.  It's overly poignant that lithium compliance and love are all that are necessary to keep on ealive; as in it's nice that lithium worked for her, but love is not something I think needs to be there for wanting to live.  love isn't what keeps me going.  My heart and mind are very much broken, and I know that without lithium i would be dead.  The elemental salt isn't entirely why i want to live, but it is the bulk of the reason why i have the ability to want to live at all.  Interesting read from the perspective of a doctor's life on lithium, past struggles with manic depression, and a life affected by this gene variation.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

lowdaddy

the dwarf - par lagerkvist

The Bandit

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

diasdegalvan

Soundgardenia

Had to stop reading Blood Meridian because it was actually depressing me, which is weird since it's the first time I've actually felt forced to stop reading a book for my own sake. Not sure exactly what book I should pick up now... Everything I have on my book queue is leaning towards the depressing side. Any "feel good" book suggestions?

RAGER

Bukowski.  Tales Of Ordinary Madness.  Very uplifting :D
No Focus Pocus

lowdaddy

Quote from: RAGER on May 17, 2013, 04:15:17 PM

that's a great collection of stories.  i haven't read any buk in a very long time.  i may need to revisit soon. as for me, i've just begun

the gulag archipelago, 1918-1956, an experiment in literary investigation
volume 3

aleksandr solzhenitsyn

RAGER

Women is always a good read.
No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

I have a thing for Ham on Rye.

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 16, 2013, 11:10:14 AM
This ridiculousness:

Then I will be done with fantasy forever.  Except now I'm watching Game of Thrones, too.  :-[
I used to be a huge fan but I read them in Dutch and then I wanted to switch to English to keep up with the books but they had changed names of characters and the amount of characters is such a clusterfuck I kinda gave up.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Dunedin

Quote from: alfie on April 05, 2013, 04:30:42 PM
Dancers at the end of time, Michael Moorcock. I have to be in the mood for him but he is a genius. Very funny.

Awesome trilogy, read it in my teens. Lent it to my Dad, who surprisingly also enjoyed it. I knew he liked the odd bit of sci-fi but I honestly thought it would be too "far out" for him.

I'm currently reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which needs no introductions.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

bbottom

I picked up Chuck Palahniuk's survivor this weekend and started it last night. I'm only like three chapters in so I can't come close to giving it a proper critique just yet

alfie

Decided to pluck Jack Vances Emphyrio off the shelf to mark his passing, few pages in and looking good.
Are you morbid?

Soundgardenia

Quote from: RAGER on May 17, 2013, 04:15:17 PM

I actually read that not too long ago!!
Went to the bookstore last week and scored these goodies:

Against better judgement, I'm currently reading Dostoyevky's Crime and Punishment, but only because I know there's a shipment of Zoloft on its way here.
Also ordered House of the Dead (another Dostoyevsky) and Os Maias (by Portuguese writer, Eça de Queirós) on Amazon yesterday.

MichaelZodiac

My advice on the Nietzsche: read The Genealogy of Morals first. The Birth of Tragedy is quite dense and without some secundary literature next to you, you're gonna miss a lot of the references.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan