what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JkFlesh

Year Zero, by Ian Buruma.  A riveting history of 1945, the traumatic transition that took place after WWII.  I'm only 40 pages in and I've already read some insane shit.

the diddler

Just finished 'Blackwater' by Jeremy Scahill.  As maddening as you would imagine

alfie

Didn't bother with Gravity's Rainbow, back on the shelf for a while, thanks for the tips.

Read "Mockingbird" by Walter Tevis instead, fantastic book, had no idea he also wrote the Hustler.
Are you morbid?

MadJohnShaft

This list of 15 dystopian novels is a revelation
Some days chickens, some days feathers

VOLVO)))

Now im reading MadAddam. Good as far as Im concerned. After reading the first two, im pretty invested, so even if it does suck, im going to finish it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

And now I'm into the 3rd & final novel in the Mayfair Witches trilogy: Taltos.
Livin' The Life.

Andrew Blakk

A book about Yngwie Malmsteen written by a swedish author... Quite interesting acctually.

mortlock

they finally put someone on the cover worth reading about..

MadJohnShaft

Is that your address? I am in the bushes.

mortlock

no, its a pic I lifted off the internet. im not really sure whos bushes youre in, but they aint mine..

themusketking

reading the Dark Prism by Brent Weeks. After I finished the Night Angel trilogy he wrote I went to this. Love his stuff.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

agent of change

Pretty good, some early Manson history. I've read "Helter Skelter" a few times, and this is a decent complement to it.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

MichaelZodiac

Jesus Carrasco - Intemperie

This is a Spanish book, I read the Dutch translation. Couldn't find anything about an English translation.. Anyway, best book I read in 2013. It gets a lot of comparisons with The Road by McCarthy but I found the setting to be more special and the ending is definitely more action oriented than the Road.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

MadJohnShaft

Finished a well reviewed novel with an animal rights theme ' we are completely beside ourselves'.  Very good.

alfie

Chinaman: The Legend of Pradeep Mathew by Shehan Karunatilaka.

A novel about Sri Lankan cricket, seemingly unlikely to appeal to anyone here, but actually more about corruption, drinking and obsession so actually very apt. Best book I read last year, well worth a try if looking for something different.
Are you morbid?

MadJohnShaft

Started 'Homo Zapiens' (was Gen P) which was a best seller in Russia ten tears ago and deals with the years after the Soviets fell before the dictatorship took hold. The main character is involved in the advertising industry.

peoplething

Just started 'The Unwinding'.

It's about individuals living in a country that decided to shred and burn the social contract thirty years ago in lieu of organized money. There's four individuals the author interviews, who, through no fault of there own, find themselves slowly drifting to the far left of the economic bell curve. One gal is from Youngstown. He also combines quotes and news stories from mega huge celebrities to get 'an interview' with them (and presumably demonstrate their enormous hypocrisy).   

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

JkFlesh

Quote from: peoplething on January 14, 2014, 08:28:06 AM
Just started 'The Unwinding'.

It's about individuals living in a country that decided to shred and burn the social contract thirty years ago in lieu of organized money. There's four individuals the author interviews, who, through no fault of there own, find themselves slowly drifting to the far left of the economic bell curve. One gal is from Youngstown. He also combines quotes and news stories from mega huge celebrities to get 'an interview' with them (and presumably demonstrate their enormous hypocrisy).   

Great book, I read that a few months ago.  Very readable history.  The Youngstown shit is insane.

MichaelZodiac

I bought a couple of books in Amsterdam and first up is Miles The Autobiography. Funny as hell, great information and just allround very inspiring. The story about Charlie Parker high on heroin, eating fried chicken while a "white bitch" is sucking his dick in the back of a cab is hilarious. Recommended.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

MadJohnShaft

'hilarious' doesn't mean what you think it means

Dunedin

Quote from: mortlock on December 10, 2013, 11:52:25 PM
no, its a pic I lifted off the internet. im not really sure whos bushes youre in, but they aint mine..

Applauded for enticing MJS into shrubbery.

I'm reading Mean Deviation, Four Decades of Progressive Metal by Jeff Wagner. It was an Xmas present from my wife (one of my cooler presents)

Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MadJohnShaft

What?

I am tempted to read "the secret history" next. I'm not happy about it, it's long and requires a little concentration.  Thinking of bailing on Gen P

Andrew Blakk

Starting with part two of 1Q84 any day now.  :P

MadJohnShaft

I'm a big fan of HM but disappointed by 1Q84 - I've read wind up and sheep and holding off in Kafta and Norwegian for some nice sitting around beach time.