what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunedin

Quote from: vonzombie on May 19, 2014, 07:11:37 PM
Quote from: Dunedin on May 19, 2014, 05:17:21 PM
I've just started World War Z, I think I'm going to have problems putting it down.

Read that, and then never ever ever ever ever watch the fillum.

That's what I've heard.

The book is terrifyingly plausible (apart from the whole rising from the dead bit of course  ;) ) but the depth of detail regarding govt reactions, how international relations are affected etc makes it seem very real.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

giantchris

Quote from: Dunedin on May 19, 2014, 05:17:21 PM
Giantchris,  you must read Ringworld and it's sequel Ringworld Engineers if you can find copies anywhere.

I've just started World War Z, I think I'm going to have problems putting it down.
Yeah Ringworld is next after I finish the book I'm on and the new Joe Abercrombie book that comes out very soon if it didn't come out already. 

giantchris

Well if you guys/gals read any fantasy books I could throw the following recommendations in no particular order

Chris A. Jackson's Weapon of Flesh Trilogy
Miles Cameron's The Traitor Son series
Django Wexler's The Thousand Names
Jeff Wheeler's Legends of Muirwood and Whispers from Mirrowen
Marie Lu's Legend series
Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards
Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire series
Peter V. Brett's The Daylight War
Keyes's The Briar King

(Here's where we get obvious)
Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen
Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind
Brandon Sanderson's Anything he Ever Wrote
Brent Weeks' Black Prism
David Edding's First couple Series
Joe Abercrombie's First Law series
Jordan's Wheel of Time if you can get past the horrible dredge of Winter's Heart without killing yourself.
Robin Hobb's Assasins books
Raymond Feist's First 2 series were very good
Weis/Hickman's Death Gate Cycle and the first three books in Dragonlance
Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion (don't read the new ones)

I would strongly recommend the Django Wexler and Miles Cameron books as they were surprisingly good and very different.  

Also I could recommend as being entertaining but not really amazing M. R. Mathias' books and David Daglish's later books are pretty entertaining as is Michael J. Sullivan's Crown Conspiracy and the series Empires of Moth.    I also forgot to add Steakley's Armor to the sci-fi list.

MadJohnShaft

I can't make myself choke down any of the fantasy genre.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

I would add Earth Abides by George R. Stewart  to the first page SF list

giantchris

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 21, 2014, 12:26:31 PM

I'll tell you it's gotten a lot better.  The Joe Abercrombie/Brandon Sanderson/Patrick Rothfuss books are as good as anything I've ever read in any genre and those authors are all pretty new.  You'd probably like Abercrombie's books MJS its completely "adult" and pretty damn gritty and grim.  The Erikson series the Malazan Book of the Fallen is very unusual and the writing is top notch.  When you compare those books to the earlier non-Tolkien fantasy from the 70s and 80s they are a huge step up in quality of writing and plot.  If you haven't read any of the newer stuff you might find you like it.

mortlock

MadJohnShaft

Guess I'm reading the post human series because that's what's on my Kindle (my kid logged in to mine so I can grab any books he has over to my account and it stays there when I log back in)

black

Quote from: mortlock on May 21, 2014, 11:24:10 PM

This is a must read..

Where did you score that?
I couldn't find it on Amazon and the googles says it doesn't exist (other than a link to blabbermouth saying it's due out this summer).
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Dunedin

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 21, 2014, 12:26:31 PM

Yeah, it's been a long time since I read any fantasy novels. I think I'll take giantchris' recommendation on a couple though and give them a try.

mortlock

Quote from: black on May 22, 2014, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: mortlock on May 21, 2014, 11:24:10 PM

This is a must read..

Where did you score that?
I couldn't find it on Amazon and the googles says it doesn't exist (other than a link to blabbermouth saying it's due out this summer).
I didn't score it yet. I should have said an 'upcoming' must read.

alfie

Did anyone mention "More than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon? Has to be an all time favourite of mine.

With regards to Fantasy, have always had reservations, but recently found myself reading Gene Wolfe's "Book(s) of The New Sun", having loved  The Fifth Head of Cerberus. Anyway, struggled through the first one before ending it on a positive, now close to the end of the 2nd, and it is great, just when you get lost in "fantasy" jargon he comes up with some great ideas and trippy scenarios.
Are you morbid?

MadJohnShaft

Yes I remember More Than Human being a well loved classic.

BrianDamage

Just finished Sonny Barger's autobiography.  Pretty cool read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Dunedin

The Book of the New Son is very "out there" but pales into insignificance compared to the follow up, The Urth of the New Sun. I've posted about it before, mostly about the fact I could barely understand what it was about.

MadJohnShaft

Dunedin

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 29, 2014, 09:34:16 AM
Jesus?

Possibly, my spelling mistake might have been synchronicity in action.

I've just started The Time Machine by Wells. Fancied a classic as I dont read enough of them.

lowdaddy

the count of monte cristo

you can tell dumas got paid by the line.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Dunedin

Ok Shaft, based on your recommendation earlier in this thread I bought a copy of Wool today.

alfie

Reading 'The Futurological Congress" by Stanislaw Lem, brilliant.
Are you morbid?

GeeZa

Quote from: alfie on June 06, 2014, 08:18:32 PM
Reading 'The Futurological Congress" by Stanislaw Lem, brilliant.

Oh how I love Lem. An absolute God, Solaris is just gob-smacking.

Just started on Peake's "Titus Groan". Never read the trilogy before but picked up this book for a few dollars in a second-hand book store. Hope it lives up to the hype. Also thinking of getting Julian Copes debut novel "One Three One" (on Faber and Faber!!). Getting remarkably good reviews.

Bro. Righteous

When I have the time to be sober, it's been: To Save Everything, CLICK HERE [Evgeny Morozov]
...heavy intellectual read, bit verbose at times but great diatribe about the 'folly of Technological Solutionism'.

SO, to balance it off a righteous read of Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD and the Sixties Rebellion [Martin A. Lee and Bruce Shlain]

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

MadJohnShaft

I read the Post Human trilogy which was great. Now I'm half done with Day of the Jackal,  thriller spy novel which is pretty good and I'm enjoying.

berrugal

Reading this on paper: https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/book/19-key-essays-on-how-internet-is-changing-our-lives/

and more Greg Egan, but I'm really annoyed by the translation. I read also "you are your own gym" in espaƱolo and this one was like someone google translated, then had about 1 hour to fix it.
Regarding the map, we are lost

Andrew Blakk

I'm near the end of the latest Game of thrones book. Which is kind of sad. But it seems that he's writing again at least.