what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

Bought this for 5 bucks. Easy summer reading.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

ez

Dune

Was about time I got around to this.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Dunedin

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on July 17, 2014, 06:51:35 PM

Bought this for 5 bucks. Easy summer reading.

I love Michael Moorcocks work. And your right, a lot of his Eternal Champion stuff is fairly fast paced, easy to read stuff.

I finished Wool pretty quickly. Loved every page of it.

Just started Stonemouth by Iain Banks. Some of his recurring motifs are there, a young slightly edgy main character who is forced into a homecoming. I've yet to see how the rest of it pans out.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

Danny G

"Johnny Cash" by Robert Hilburn

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

giantchris

Quote from: vonzombie on July 17, 2014, 12:17:19 PM
He's been writing the next one for about 4000 years. I think it's going to be a two-fer now? Or a three-fer?
What pisses me off is he seems to spend a ton of time on stuff other then writing and he's trying to convince them to do 7 seasons of the show and have the last book be a movie....TO GIVE HIM MORE TIME TO FINISH.  That and he had some butthurt interview where he is complaining that people being worried about him dying before he finishes is offensive.  What exactly are we supposed to think at this point hell hes over 60 and still a fatass.  I mean I'm overweight but I have no illusions about my life expectancy if I don't lose weight which is why I've lost 40 lbs so far this year.  Hell I work in healthcare and if this guy doesn't have CHF he's going to very soon.  I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he has obesity-related hypo-ventilation as well and I GUARENTEE you he has sleep apnea which also means he has hypertension.  /End Rant

But yeah I am reading my strange uncle's book and then I'm going to read Ringworld finally.  Glad that I saw some people read Wool what an awesome story that is.  There are some reports that Ridley Scott is going to make it into a movie which should be pretty cool.

berrugal

Picked up the comic book Footnotes from Gaza, the library had all their stuff on the conflict showed off on a table. I skipped it many times, I guess I'll read it now. Also went to "world comics" table and there were Israeli authors, picked up one called Shrapnel, and one Chinese, Li Kunwu, "The Bandaged Feet", which is the one I actually feel like reading... the others were more of a, ok, let's get some easy insight on the matter.

Regarding the map, we are lost

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

This comes out tomorrow Aug 12  - I hope it's better than 1Q84, which I liked but was just too tedious

Dunedin

Just started "Home Fires" by Gene Wolf. I'm hoping for less of the dense impenetrability this time.

Dunedin

Picked up Dave Mustaines and Jeff Turners (cockney Rejects) autobiographies from the library today. A bit of light reading.

To be honest I was pretty surprised to find them in my local library.

MadJohnShaft

I read a couple not worth commenting on. Of the Manbooker pix awards nominees I had only read We Are Cmpletely which I mentioned previously.

I am hunting around for something to read next - I am thinking about that recent book about hijacking or Ingredient #9 that sounds interesting.

alfie

Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack, can't believe how good it is, gutted to gave nearly finished it so quickly and think I' d better slow down. Anyone read anything else by him?
Are you morbid?

MadJohnShaft

Futurlogical Congress by Stanislaw Lem

I don't know, funny SF usually isn't that funny (hitchhikers guide). I'm going to give it a go though but mad I bought it.

Omlet

Lem has many way better books but im not sure how many were released in English...

MadJohnShaft

I bailed on it, too cutesy.

Reading Sweetness #9 instead.

Omlet

Other Lem's books are much more serious.

I'm currently reading this:

Dunedin

Just started on Terminal World by Alistair Reynolds. Ive mentioned him before, he's one of the UK's best recent talents in SF. Most of his stuff would classify as hard SF, but this has a touch of steam punk to it.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: giantchris on May 20, 2014, 11:50:50 AM
Well if you guys/gals read any fantasy books I could throw the following recommendations in no particular order

Chris A. Jackson's Weapon of Flesh Trilogy
Miles Cameron's The Traitor Son series
Django Wexler's The Thousand Names
Jeff Wheeler's Legends of Muirwood and Whispers from Mirrowen
Marie Lu's Legend series
Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards
Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire series
Peter V. Brett's The Daylight War
Keyes's The Briar King

(Here's where we get obvious)
Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen
Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind
Brandon Sanderson's Anything he Ever Wrote
Brent Weeks' Black Prism
David Edding's First couple Series
Joe Abercrombie's First Law series
Jordan's Wheel of Time if you can get past the horrible dredge of Winter's Heart without killing yourself.
Robin Hobb's Assasins books
Raymond Feist's First 2 series were very good
Weis/Hickman's Death Gate Cycle and the first three books in Dragonlance
Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion (don't read the new ones)

I would strongly recommend the Django Wexler and Miles Cameron books as they were surprisingly good and very different.  

Also I could recommend as being entertaining but not really amazing M. R. Mathias' books and David Daglish's later books are pretty entertaining as is Michael J. Sullivan's Crown Conspiracy and the series Empires of Moth.    I also forgot to add Steakley's Armor to the sci-fi list.

How about some recommendations for post-apocalyptic books, thanks.

MadJohnShaft

I read and loved

And now I am reading this and it is terrific. It's an odd meta format for a novel -  it's a series of recommendation letters written by a professor in the English department at a fictitious University. They build on each other over time and it's the only way that you get to meet the speaker in the novel. and they are all hilarious.

Omlet

Quote from: CanookieWookie on October 05, 2014, 12:46:13 PM

Glukhovsky's Metro 2033. 2034 is not so great.

There are also lots of books of other authors set in Metro universe but didn't read any of them... yet.

Also, Roadside Picnic, obviously.

Dunedin

Finished Terminal World. Some of the concepts in the book are great, some of the storytelling drags however. The initial setting is Spearpoint City, a vast spire 30-40 miles across at it's base which rises miles high and pierces the atmosphere. The city is built on a ledge which winds it's way up and around the spire. The city is split into different technological zones, technology from one zone doesn't always work in other zones. I loved this setting but unfortunately the book doesn't actually spend a lot of time there. Apparently Reynolds wrote this as a one off and has no intention of revisiting so unless another author picks up the idea I guess I'll not see the idea fleshed out as well as it could have been. Shame.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Omlet on October 10, 2014, 04:33:32 PM
Quote from: CanookieWookie on October 05, 2014, 12:46:13 PM

Glukhovsky's Metro 2033. 2034 is not so great.

There are also lots of books of other authors set in Metro universe but didn't read any of them... yet.

Also, Roadside Picnic, obviously.

Thanks.

Currently reading..

Dunedin

Hey wookb, I just picked up The Passage from the library. Am I in for a treat?

berrugal

Finished this one... a university professor of architecture, egocentric to the max, culture too much, gets dumped and it's really well drawn and somehow like woody allen movies but if they were really good and not boring. Really good really ... The best together with PLUTO that I have read in months

which is quite an engaging read too. robot sci fi.
Regarding the map, we are lost

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Dunedin on October 13, 2014, 03:41:24 AM
Hey wookb, I just picked up The Passage from the library. Am I in for a treat?

Yes.  It is quite long, but I found I couldn't put the book down.   Just be patient at the beginning.