what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantchris

Quote from: Dunedin on September 21, 2014, 02:57:25 PM
Just started on Terminal World by Alistair Reynolds. Ive mentioned him before, he's one of the UK's best recent talents in SF. Most of his stuff would classify as hard SF, but this has a touch of steam punk to it.
I bought one of this guy's books based off your post "House of Suns" it was pretty damn good.  Very unusual plot twists and its a mystery if anything.  For some weird reason "Ringworld" is not available on my kindle which is pretty annoying.

To whomever mentioned the post-apocalyptic sci fi list I might not be the best for that but off the top of my head I'll throw some out there but they were mentioned before probably.

The Postman - an underrated book terrible movie
A Canticle for Lebowitz
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
The Road (everyone loves this book but I didn't like it it reminds me of a sci fi book for people unfamiliar with sci fi who are blown away by the concepts)
Wool & Sand by Hugh Howey which are both great
George R R Martin's House of Worms or w/e it's called is good but pretty damn weird.

MadJohnShaft

The Road sucked. There are so many real end of world novels that rule.

J comes out today, a well anticipated distopian novel.

I'm reading a Korean spy novel and enjoying much....it's about an undercover North Korean spy undercover in South Korea that's recalled back to North Korea. I wish it had more weird North Korean stuff but not yet.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

CanookieWookie

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 16, 2014, 07:57:28 AM
The Road sucked. There are so many real end of world novels that rule.

J comes out today, a well anticipated distopian novel.

I'm reading a Korean spy novel and enjoying much....it's about an undercover North Korean spy undercover in South Korea that's recalled back to North Korea. I wish it had more weird North Korean stuff but not yet.

Like?

ThisHairyGuy

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Only a few chapters in.

I love Stranger In Strange Land so I've been looking forward to getting right into this!
it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life

giantchris

Quote from: ThisHairyGuy on October 17, 2014, 06:23:41 AM
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Only a few chapters in.

I love Stranger In Strange Land so I've been looking forward to getting right into this!
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is my favorite Heinlein book.  Just really well written and the characters are interesting I also really liked the ending.

CanookieWookie

Good shit. Just finished it.

Bro. Righteous

^^ this looks good, how does it compare to the half-dozen other Allman's books out there?

Currently halfway thru Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace bi-op - I'm not even a fan, just happens
my vinyl distributer had this for $15 hardcover at his shop...if you enjoy reading aboot model trains
and vintage cars ad naseum, this read might be for you...I barely never finish a book so I will stick
w/this to the end, but utterly underwhemling at this point.

Also, I can respect Neil wrote this himself w/o ghostwriters or anyone else but his prose/writing process
is lagged-out - probably should of wrote it when he was still on the WEED.

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

MadJohnShaft

I like this book but saw the big reveal coming a mile away. At 78%. It's very classical in its writing.

She wrote the famous short story  The Lottery which everyone alive has read.

Reading Deployment now.

Dunedin

CWook; you were right about that Justin Cronin book, it's hard to put down. And just crying out to be made into a film (or mini-series at the very least)
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

GOLGO13

Makeup to Breakup: My Life In and Out of Kiss by Peter Criss.

Wow. Just wow.

What a turd.  What a stupid turd.  What a stupid druggie turd.  A surprisingly entertaining book about a poor little drummer boy who got really lucky & pissed it all away.  He's a self-absorbed, lucky little pissant that attached himself to the KISS machine, realized he's the musical equivalant of a retarded Ringo Starr & his have his ego Kurt Cobain his career.

Few things are more entertaining to read than a man with a hella-axe to grind.  And he weilds it on everyone from girlfriends, wives and especially so to fellow band members.  I recognize that the 70's rock scene was some super-special, extra-weirdo world where party like a rock star was serious business.  However, I still felt like I needed to shower after reading about his debauchery & idiocy. 

All entertainers on the cusp of stardom should read this cautionary tale. Because a fool & his millions will soon be parted.  I would like to think that I would feel some sympathy for someone who looses so badly.  But with this clown shoe,  I am incapable of it.
"Never give a hooker money to go buy cocaine.  They never come back with the money or the cocaine.  Trust me, I'm 0 for 9 on this."

irratebass

Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Dunedin on November 23, 2014, 11:32:23 AM
CWook; you were right about that Justin Cronin book, it's hard to put down. And just crying out to be made into a film (or mini-series at the very least)

I swear I read that Ridley Scott, or someone of that ilk, has bought the rights to it.

Dunedin

Quote from: CanookieWookie on December 02, 2014, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: Dunedin on November 23, 2014, 11:32:23 AM

I swear I read that Ridley Scott, or someone of that ilk, has bought the rights to it.

Yeah, I read that online somewhere as well. After posting that I thought I should try and find out if it was likely to happen!
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MadJohnShaft

I read a spy thriller 'Non-official Assets' and the Amy Poehler book. Now reading some Singularity themed short story SF book called 'Accelerando'.

irratebass

So far I'm really enjoying it, He seems pretty truthful, but what the hell do I know?

Danny G

"This Is A Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl" by Paul Brannigan

Digging so far, but only a few pages in.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

irratebass

Quote from: Danny G on December 16, 2014, 03:15:00 PM
"This Is A Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl" by Paul Brannigan

Digging so far, but only a few pages in.

Wonder how different that is now since everything he has done since the writing of that book?

Danny G

The way the book is written actually lends itself to Sonic Highways.

The book is about Grohl but the writer goes off on lots of fascinating tangents about the people/bands he came up with. Lots of history lessons and lineages
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

irratebass

Quote from: Danny G on December 17, 2014, 10:07:00 AM
The way the book is written actually lends itself to Sonic Highways.

The book is about Grohl but the writer goes off on lots of fascinating tangents about the people/bands he came up with. Lots of history lessons and lineages

Sounds intriguing...what's the name of it? I missed the name.

CanookieWookie

The Prince - Niccolo Machaivelli

now.. Slaughterhouse Five - K. V.

irratebass

Danny G

This Is A Call - The Life and Times of Dave Grohl

CanookieWookie