what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

Danny G

'5 Billion Years of Solitude: The Search For Life Among The Stars' by Lee Billings

Very fascinating read so far about the history/scientists of those searching for life on other planets

The Dave Grohl book was awesome. Highly recommended. My only gripe was it ended too soon.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

mortlock

I am reading this because Dunedin hooked me up with it..

agent of change

Quote from: vonzombie on December 30, 2014, 05:06:32 PM
I am re-reading this, because it is fucking nasty

That looks pretty good, VZ, I'll see if our library system has it. The cover art is reminiscent of symbols used in a dark-ish religion similar to voodoo, called Palo. Intriguing.

I've just finished this, which was pretty well-written, and if the statistics and studies were cited accurately, shows some astonishing potential for MDMA in healing PTSD. One early study demonstrated that at two-months and a year follow-up, 12 of 16 female survivors of sexual assault continued to test negative for PTSD, after initially scoring high for it, then just two MDMA therapy sessions. Very exciting stuff, and some interesting personal tales told within.

We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Andrew Blakk

Not much reading. Mostly looking at the pics.  ;D

agent of change

Quote from: vonzombie on January 07, 2015, 09:27:33 PM
It's loosely based on the Cthulhu mythos, and I believe it's one of a trilogy. He also wrote 'Lucky's Girl' which I'm reading right now. So far pretty good.

I'm curious to check The Immortal Body out, but my library doesn't have it. Apparently I can buy a used copy on Amazon for $147.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Danny G

'1493: Uncovering The New World Columbus Created' by Charles C Mann
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

alfie

Jailbird - Kurt Vonnegut, the man never lets you down. Would be good to have him around now to get his take on things.
Are you morbid?

Dunedin

Blue Remembered Earth by Alistair Reynolds. Oh god it's boring. This is the second stinker in a row of his that I've read which is majorly disappointing because his earlier work is far superior and I've been on here singing his praises.

Dull characters, dull settings, terrible plot (so far at least)

I don't think I'll finish it.

I've got a copy of Justin Cronin's "The Twelve" waiting to get stuck into so that should be a better bet.

Edit; just started "The Twelve". More has happened in the first 20 pages than the first 120 of B.R.E. I won't be going back to that snoozefest.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

irratebass

Just started it at lunch, I have already lol'd 3x's this will be a good time.
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

Submarine

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis. Its about how High Frequency Traders rigged Wall Street. 
Its a great follow up from his last book on the 2008 financial meltdown.

Dylan Thomas

I just read Star Wars: Darth Plagueis.  It was okay, it was written at a really low reading level and I cruised through it.  First Star Wars book from the "expanded universe" that I've read.  I do have a lot of the comics, and the Jedi and Sith books, though those aren't actual novels.

I need something new to read.  Thinking about re-reading all my old Michael Moorcock novels yet again....

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Dunedin

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on January 29, 2015, 09:33:17 PM

I need something new to read.  Thinking about re-reading all my old Michael Moorcock novels yet again....

Oooh,  which ones?

alfie

Quote from: Dunedin on February 01, 2015, 01:54:57 PM
Quote from: Dylan Thomas on January 29, 2015, 09:33:17 PM

Oooh,  which ones?

Fabulous harbours is a favourite of mine
Are you morbid?

Volume

Funny and easy to read, a good book for a beginner brewer like myself.

MadJohnShaft

Michael Morcocknis the only book I've ever thrown out. (Well I threw out The Road too).

(Nice! I'm addicted to brusospohy and home brew talk website

http://brulosophy.com

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/)

I'm enjoying Bone Clocks and about half done. .

Thinking of reading something old next - Eric Ambler
For those not familiar with his work, Ambler was to the modern British spy novel what Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett were to the American detective novel. Ambler transformed the spy novel from a simplistic black and white world of perfect good guys versus nefarious bad guys into a far more realistic world where sometimes the difference between good and evil is not all that great.

Oh wait - there's a follow up to King Dork (which is awesome) - I believe the author is the dude from the punk band Mr T experience - it's very rock n roll.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Bro. Righteous

Finished "This is a Call" the life and times of Dave Grohl - lots of interesting hardcore/punk ref's at the beginning, some
cool side-notes here and there, ultimately I just don't get the popularity of such an insipid group of mediocre songs, but hey, that's me.
I mean fucking selling-out Wembley stadium two-nite's in a row, in addition to HUGE stadium shows around the globe.
He's worth apparently about $250-million US net, not bad for a punk I guess.
He does have one fucking hard-on for Josh Homme - big bro praise there.

Also read Heart's "Kicking and Dreaming" story of Heart, Soul and Rock & Roll.
Groovy read, it reads between takes from each sister, so Nancy will say her stuff and Ann will say hers as it alternates
in the book. I've always LOVED and had a hard-on for Nancy, even now she is such a fucking HOT guitar slinging' babe.
So, some cool footnotes, like her banging two guys in the original band, her over-the-top romanticism, the completely
outta left field of hooking-up and marrying dweeb Cameran Crowe (totally not rock!)...y'know both sisters have adopted
kids since they were not able to bear children/become pregnant themselves - talk about lucky fucking children!
Also for me it's all bout the original band members, best form of that group, they have since stuck w/their 80's
output of players and are way inferior IMO - just checkout the Hall of Fame awards between the two clans, man,
the original cats sound WAAAAY better and got the shit-end of the deal, I'm surprised they even went ahead w/it.
You can see Nancy/Ann's uncomfortableness w/the original band.

So - in about 1/4 of the way thru Dennis Hopper's "the wild ride of a Hollywood rebel" Peter L. Winkler.
Digging the shit out of it right now - great read, and nice fat book how I like.
Dennis was a fucking madmen right outta the gate, just getting to the part about Easy Rider as he and Peter Fonda
try to get funding for the film and he (Dennis) is in Taos Mexico....doing insane amounts of LSD/Blow Weed & whiskey.
Fucking entertaining read fo' shure!

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

black

Quote from: Bro. Righteous on February 06, 2015, 03:45:54 PM
...the completely
outta left field of hooking-up and marrying dweeb Cameran Crowe (totally not rock!)...

Cameron Crowe may behave been/is dweeby, but he's more Rock-And-Roll than most any of us could hope to be.

Growing up in the American Southwest, Hopper (or as the locals called him, Denny) was a fixture on many scenes and usually out of fucking control.
He was awesome and usually did not give a single fuck.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

frobbert

I am now reading a short story collection by Thomas Ligotti. He's a great writer but not exactly a fun guy if you catch my drift. Maybe I should read something fun on the side. Still got that latest David Mitchell novel..
bite me

mortlock

the Sabbath bio was fantastic. I really like mick walls writing. thanks again Dunedin.. inspired by that I just picked up the metallica bio 'enter night' by walls..looking forward to it..

irratebass

Quote from: Bro. Righteous on February 06, 2015, 03:45:54 PM
Finished "This is a Call" the life and times of Dave Grohl - lots of interesting hardcore/punk ref's at the beginning, some
cool side-notes here and there, ultimately I just don't get the popularity of such an insipid group of mediocre songs, but hey, that's me.
I mean fucking selling-out Wembley stadium two-nite's in a row, in addition to HUGE stadium shows around the globe.
He's worth apparently about $250-million US net, not bad for a punk I guess.
He does have one fucking hard-on for Josh Homme - big bro praise there.

Also read Heart's "Kicking and Dreaming" story of Heart, Soul and Rock & Roll.
Groovy read, it reads between takes from each sister, so Nancy will say her stuff and Ann will say hers as it alternates
in the book. I've always LOVED and had a hard-on for Nancy, even now she is such a fucking HOT guitar slinging' babe.
So, some cool footnotes, like her banging two guys in the original band, her over-the-top romanticism, the completely
outta left field of hooking-up and marrying dweeb Cameran Crowe (totally not rock!)...y'know both sisters have adopted
kids since they were not able to bear children/become pregnant themselves - talk about lucky fucking children!
Also for me it's all bout the original band members, best form of that group, they have since stuck w/their 80's
output of players and are way inferior IMO - just checkout the Hall of Fame awards between the two clans, man,
the original cats sound WAAAAY better and got the shit-end of the deal, I'm surprised they even went ahead w/it.
You can see Nancy/Ann's uncomfortableness w/the original band.

So - in about 1/4 of the way thru Dennis Hopper's "the wild ride of a Hollywood rebel" Peter L. Winkler.
Digging the shit out of it right now - great read, and nice fat book how I like.
Dennis was a fucking madmen right outta the gate, just getting to the part about Easy Rider as he and Peter Fonda
try to get funding for the film and he (Dennis) is in Taos Mexico....doing insane amounts of LSD/Blow Weed & whiskey.
Fucking entertaining read fo' shure!

These all sound excellent!

I'm now reading Stephen King's 11/22/63
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

Dunedin

Quote from: mortlock on February 19, 2015, 11:07:13 PM
the Sabbath bio was fantastic. I really like mick walls writing. thanks again Dunedin.. inspired by that I just picked up the metallica bio 'enter night' by walls..looking forward to it..

Glad you enjoyed it morty!

alfie

Read on here (thanks) that Ben Wheatley had made a film of it, so reading High Rise by JG Ballard, had it on the shelf for a while, but his slightly repetitive themes put me off starting it. Anyway, quite enjoying it, and will look forward to the film.
Are you morbid?

The Shocker

Really liked High Rise.

Currently on this:

Guy decides he doesn't want any kind of serious relationship/girlfriend, so he starts paying for sex. Really difficult as a lot of the themes covered hit pretty close to home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk