Jor el

What say You ?

Show your work.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Both.  for different things :)
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Charcoal for days.  Weber one touch 22.5" w/ chimney starter.

Steaks, chicken, pork, burgers, brats, kebabs, mostly direct heat stuff.  I'd like to get some of these and smoke more.

I dunno if this counts as showing my work.  I've never photographed my food when I could be eating it.  Also my presentation ain't great, I leave that to the pros.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Chovie D

Gas for convenience and control and speed. charcoal has a flavor tho...probably bad for you flavor but a good flavor nonetheless.

GodShifter

From my vast knowledge in grilling, the "pros" always use charcoal. I've always used it, too (I'm not a "pro" by any stretch of the imagination).

Gas does have its pluses in that the fire is ready immediately and you don't have to worry so much about carcinogens (not that I do, anyway).

MadJohnShaft

We have 5 grills, to help Fight the Power.

I like the Gas one for making dinner, and it's right out the back door. I put wood chips in it, to give that delicious smokey allure to everything cooked upon it.  I acquired a second propane tank, so I always have a full one and can run one out until empty. It is a good thing.

I have one of those Weber Rotisserie attachments - to spin a chicken. Everyone should get that.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

bitter

Quote from: Chovie D on June 08, 2012, 12:50:47 PM
Gas for convenience and control and speed. charcoal has a flavor tho...probably bad for you flavor but a good flavor nonetheless.

Taste the meat not the heat!

There was some recent research claiming that eating charcoal cooked foods was doing folks a lot of harm. Cancer causing carcinogens and such. While it does impart a greater flavor, it can be a little overbearing at times. We used to make charcoal grilled quesadillas and they were gross.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Chovie D

yeah , theres the charcaol and then the gallon of lighter fluid I used ot use to light it. cooking your food over those is probably not great for you. hell even good old wood smoke probably has some carcinogenic stuff...tar and shit. I bet a 100 thousand charcoal grilled drumsticks are as bad for you as one cigarette tho.

I use cedar planks, sometimes alder, when I want smoke flavor on fish.
I dont do alot of meat anymore.

MadJohnShaft

I would be skeptical on reports that doing something we've been doing since evolution 101 (cooking over wood) is bad - the likelihood that food cooked over a wood fire is anything but aligned with us 100% is very low.

Chovie D

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on June 08, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
I would be skeptical on reports that doing something we've been doing since evolution 101 (cooking over wood) is bad - the likelihood that food cooked over a wood fire is anything but aligned with us 100% is very low.

you may be a farmer but now I am becoming skeptical of your status as scientist...
http://www.ehhi.org/woodsmoke/health_effects.shtml

Lumpy

Yeah, that was like the least-scientific statement ever. That was like stating a hunch.

They say a lot of the 'grill' flavor comes from the drippings hitting the heat source and then vaporizing. Meaning that type of fuel is not as important as you might expect.

Maybe I read that here, it's all becoming a big blur anymore.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on June 08, 2012, 05:52:32 PM
Yeah, that was like the least-scientific statement ever. That was like stating a hunch.

They say a lot of the 'grill' flavor comes from the drippings hitting the heat source and then vaporizing. Meaning that type of fuel is not as important as you might expect.

Maybe I read that here, it's all becoming a big blur anymore.

You are correct aboot the drippings, I read that in Modernist Cuisine. I also read in another location that the drippings release carcinogens as well. Like I siad tho one ciggy is probably more damaging than a million char grilled bratwursts.

Metal and Beer

I think when some amino acids or enzymes or such encounter creatine they convert to a suspected carcinogen, and that bullshit they inject to keep meat red for long periods also doesn't take kindly to being burnt and converts to a nasty carcinogen (I can't remember the substance name but I believe it's being litigated over)

/shitty grammar shaky science
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jor el

What about the Pink Slime ?
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Wood fire is the shit to cook over.  I mainly use gas for the convenience.  once in a while I use charcoal.  I mainly like cooking over fire.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i used to be like all charcoal. then i liked the ease of gas and was all gas and shit..now i like both but prefer gas when im drunk.

I,Galactus

My grandpa charcoal grilled damn near everything except eggs all year round (north Iowa winters be damned) and lived to the ripe old age of 91 without a spec of cancer.

That being said, I'd rather die of cancer from eating charcoal grilled meats that live a life devoid of their deliciousness.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

I rotated an ultra brined chicken tonight.  With some thick assed bacon wrapped around it. 

joyce

m.

RAGER

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on June 09, 2012, 09:27:38 PM
I rotated an ultra brined chicken tonight.  With some thick assed bacon wrapped around it. 

this is a great way to kill the kids off before having to pay for Harvard
No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

I have a fire pit in my back yard in Boise. Got a folding cook grill to go over it and everything. One big ass bed of coals will deliver mightily on stuff like ribs or burgers, or a mess of fish. Cooked about 9lb of trout on that sucker one night. Fucking FEAST.

tossom

Charcoal, gas is cheating.  Plus, managing to set anything on fire outside in Scotland is a hell of an achievement!
"Beige rock"

mortlock

fuck cooking meat..real men eat it raw.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: mutantcolors on June 10, 2012, 02:52:31 AM
I have a fire pit in my back yard in Boise. Got a folding cook grill to go over it and everything. One big ass bed of coals will deliver mightily on stuff like ribs or burgers, or a mess of fish. Cooked about 9lb of trout on that sucker one night. Fucking FEAST.

yup - wood coals>charcoal briquettes>gas  for flavor and effect
gas>charcoal>wood for ease of use.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

If I had to cook a whole baby, I would use the rotisserie and wrap the baby in thick bacon.

Maybe a maple syrup marinated pineapple instead of the head.