what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

johnny problem

Philip K. Dick - Clans of the Alphane Moon

agent of change

Just finished an autobiography by Paul Stanley. Very well-written, and pretty interesting.

Before that, Mick Wall's book on Metallica. Also very interesting. I knew that people mocked Lars for his drumming, but I learned that before many albums were recorded, early and later on, Lars had to take drum lessons. Heh.

Now, about to dive into an "unauthorized" biography of Axl Rose, also by Mick Wall. And got a newer Stephen King book of novellas (usually some of his best work) as well as some Charlie Huston I read once but totally dig him. If you dig gritty fiction, sort of crime noir (and he has a badass vampire series) then check him out.

This among books on play therapy, cognitive defusion, and Compassion Focused Therapy.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Andrew Blakk

black

I read No Angel last year.
I was thinking of it and so I just started the Sonny Barger bio last night.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Andrew Blakk

Have to check that book out. Could be interesting!

black

It's a great juxtaposition to Jay Dobyns and a couple other similar undercover cop's books.
Old Sonny paints a picture that seems a bit tamer than reality, but so far it's fun and interesting.

irratebass

Since I heard there is going to be a Deadpool movie I'm gonna read his comics to get more familiar with him.
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

The Shocker

Just picked this up.

Fuck you!

Dylan Thomas

I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.  Great novel.  I've read a bunch of her others, and I've had this for awhile.  I'm just getting around to reading it, and it's pretty much what I expected - dark, dystopian tales told from a really unique, interpersonal perspective.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Bro. Righteous

^^^ they still make those?

Almost done: Twenty Thousand Roads - the ballad of Gram Parsons and his Cosmic American music - David N. Meyer

Your typical 60's/70's tome of overthetop sex, droogs & RNR etc...but very fascinating detailed backstory of his grandparents/parents/step-parents
and assorted fighter-pilot, uber-alcoholic, super-rich industrialists, Southern brawling associated w/it.
The Keef Richards and Parsons buddy-buddy heroin worship is interesting and all the Flying Burrito Brothers shit, lots of lap-steel talk...
(fuzz-pedals and phasors thru a kicking lap-steel/player - fuck yaz!).
In general dude, was a super-stud/alckie/major drug-fiend/child genius/trust-fund baby musical prodigy.

Close to the end of the book, might be kinda sad when I read how he kicked the bucket from a heroin OD at 26yrs.

Super-detailed at over 500+pages in small print.
...so far...a recommended read.
I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

The Shocker

He's buried in the same cemetery as my grandmother. 

Fuck you!

black

MadJohnShaft

My kid swears I read that.

I'm reading a pretty good middleast spy novel.

And a pretty good medical book on gut health which was a German best seller and is very enlightening.

black

If you hadn't sworn off print form media, I would send you a copy.
Your son's right. You would dig it.
It appeals to Science Fiction fans, Adventure fans and is tiotally  a good read for someone with any kind of engineering/technical degree/background.

It's also fun for the rest of us too.
Throw it down on your Kindle/A-Watch/e-reader/whatever.

JkFlesh

Fucking awesome so far (600 pages in):

MadJohnShaft

I read her excellent 'my year of meats' and she wrote a new book that got excellent reviews,

Scarlett Thomas new one isn't on kindle yet

giantchris

I just finished the Ian Cormac Polity series or w/e it's called.  Started off kinda cheesy but got better I liked the endings they were well thought-out.  The author seemed like he improved as a writer as the series progressed.  Right now I'm reading the newest book in the series that begins with "The Warded Man" I don't recall the name of the newest one.  So far it's really good, a very unusual dark fantasy novel. 

Submarine

Quote from: JkFlesh on June 23, 2015, 02:31:28 PM
Fucking awesome so far (600 pages in):

Just started this last week.  Big fan of Neal Stephenson.

agent of change

I love older Neal Stephenson, but he lost me around the time his editor apparently ceased working.

Also read the first couple "Warded Man" books, decent enough fantasy read with some interesting ideas. Writing hopefully will get better.

Just finished "Project X" a really good Catcher in the Rye style high school book with killer writing. From around 2005.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

giantchris

Quote from: agent of change on July 16, 2015, 04:47:41 PMAlso read the first couple "Warded Man" books, decent enough fantasy read with some interesting ideas. Writing hopefully will get better.
Seems like it's improving the story is finally advancing.  The best newer fantasy I've read though is the Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns, Miles Cameron's Traitor Son Cycle, and the Django Wexler's Thousand Names series if anyone is looking for any modern fantasy recommendations. 

If anyone has any modern/newish Sci-Fi preferably of the series/epic kind as a recommendation please share I could use some more I only have 2 more new books on my kindle.       

agent of change

Cool, I'll check those out. I haven't found a good modern scifi series in a while. You probably know them, but William Gibson's series(ish) of novels, starting with Neuromancer, is my personal favorite. A few clunkers in there, but that happens.

Click

A bio of Oscar Wilde and a Black Sabbath fax book writ by Martin  Poppoff. His 70's, 80's, 90,s metal bks taught me a bunch and gave me a better view of the genre as is was just to fracture into a1000 micogenres. I mean "cornfield slam"? 

Danny G

"The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt

Holy shit. What a roller coaster ride. Not quite done. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com