Ty Segall - Manipulator

Started by Dylan Thomas, August 07, 2014, 08:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

Christ on a smoldering biscuit, this is a good freakin' album...
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

CanookieWookie

I've got to be honest with you, I listened to some of this, and found it to be quite bad.  Now I know you're not huge on the stoner rock type of music anymore, so I can understand how you'd like it.  I tried, but it just smelt bad, much like those dudes who sport beards now. 

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: CanookieWookie on August 12, 2014, 09:39:53 PM
I've got to be honest with you, I listened to some of this, and found it to be quite bad.  Now I know you're not huge on the stoner rock type of music anymore, so I can understand how you'd like it.  I tried, but it just smelt bad, much like those dudes who sport beards now. 

I'm still pretty big on some of the stoner, my friend.  I LOVE the new Fu Manchu, for instance, and last year's Monster Magnet was stellar.  I just don't blow my load over every band that buys a boutique muff, tunes down to Z, and sings about bongs and wizards, if that makes sense.

It's cool you don't dig it.  To me, this isn't really a stretch from a lot of "stoner" stuff, though I think you really have to dig the vibe and aesthetic that Ty dishes out on his records to get into it.  I can see how it would be hit or miss for some, though I'm a huge fan, and this to me is his best album.

Do you like Thee Oh Sees at all?

CanookieWookie

Don't know it.  Should I?

To be fair, I will give that album another listen.  Sometimes a 2nd go round works.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: CanookieWookie on August 13, 2014, 07:12:19 PM

Don't know it.  Should I?

To be fair, I will give that album another listen.  Sometimes a 2nd go round works.

Thee Oh Sees are another pretty punked/fuzzed out garage rock band, though they're a bit more noisy, dark and creepy than Ty Segall.  Same ballpark though, they may be more to your taste?

The Shocker

Production is a whole lot better on this one.  It's bugging me that I can't figure out who his vocals sound like.  Somebody I like - music collection is too big to go through everything to find out.  While I like this album a lot, there is really nothing new or innovative about it.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: The Shocker on August 19, 2014, 02:45:07 PM
Production is a whole lot better on this one.  It's bugging me that I can't figure out who his vocals sound like.  Somebody I like - music collection is too big to go through everything to find out.  While I like this album a lot, there is really nothing new or innovative about it.

Reminds me a little of Marc Bolan from T. Rex at times.  He's definitely had a glam thing going on, and that stepped up with Twins.

I agree with you on the production, I think that's one of the things that makes this one a winner.  I think it's also a really diverse album for him, he explores a lot of the different styles he's flirted with in the past.

It's definitely not new or innovative, though I like his sound, his style, and his approach.

Ryno

Heard the album on NPRs First Listen. I dig Thee Oh Sees.  Definitely along the same lines but Oh Sees are much more interesting. That being said, this album has legs. Comes off as way too retro garage/psych at first but the gnarly guitar tones make up for it in a few numbers. I liked it.  The guy is prolific. I'll give him that.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

The Shocker

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on August 23, 2014, 11:12:10 AM
Quote from: The Shocker on August 19, 2014, 02:45:07 PM

Reminds me a little of Marc Bolan from T. Rex at times.  He's definitely had a glam thing going on, and that stepped up with Twins.

I agree with you on the production, I think that's one of the things that makes this one a winner.  I think it's also a really diverse album for him, he explores a lot of the different styles he's flirted with in the past.

It's definitely not new or innovative, though I like his sound, his style, and his approach.

His stuff is growing on me. His vocals on a few sounds remind me of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club or at least my memory of them.

MadJohnShaft

Thee Oh Sees are fun too. This genre is post Internet print at home prolific garage rock. You can't wait three years to make a Facebook post because Facebook will be gone. If you're putting out albums every week you can Twitter yourself stupid.

I like this stuff but it has a shelf life. I got a headache after too much.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

MichaelZodiac

I personally like Thee Oh Sees better than Ty Segall but his new album is a ripper.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan