Monster Magnet - Last Patrol

Started by CanookieWookie, October 11, 2013, 08:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanookieWookie

One of the best albums these guys have ever made, in my opinion.  Quiet, but loud, slower, but heavy.  Shocked me how good it is.

renfield

at a glance it's definitely the best thing they've done in a long time.

i usually ignore the latter day MM apologists but now it looks like I may have to join their ranks.

here's a stream of the album
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/stream-monster-magnets-lost-patrol

Dylan Thomas

Damn, I have to say that I was really underwhelmed by it.  I was really expecting this "return to form" album to tweak my nipples in all the right ways.  I thought I'd love it. I'm going to give it more time, though none of this material initially grabbed me.  Perhaps my expectations were too high. I found it very forgettable, and that's never a good sign...

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Demon Lung

By reading what you guys have said about it. It is apparent that I have to check this album out now.

MichaelZodiac

Listening to the stream now, I like it. Didn't expect this from them. Willb's description sums it up pretty well.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

sleestak

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on October 12, 2013, 07:32:55 AM
Damn, I have to say that I was really underwhelmed by it.  I was really expecting this "return to form" album to tweak my nipples in all the right ways.  I thought I'd love it. I'm going to give it more time, though none of this material initially grabbed me.  Perhaps my expectations were too high. I found it very forgettable, and that's never a good sign...

Man I am SHOCKED that you don't like it.  SHOCKED.

Wait... no.  ;)
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: sleestak on October 12, 2013, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: Dylan Thomas on October 12, 2013, 07:32:55 AM

Man I am SHOCKED that you don't like it.  SHOCKED.

Wait... no.  ;)

I'm actually really shocked I don't like it very much.  I've loved every album they've done up to this one, with the exception of 4-Way Diablo.  I loved God Says No and Monolithic, and I've been playing the shit out of Mastermind in anticipation of this new album.  I illegally downloaded Last Patrol this morning, with two extra songs even.  I don't know...the songs just aren't very good or memorable.  Sure, there's some psychedelic stuff going on, but it certainly doesn't sound like a return to form.  I've always liked Monster Magnet because Dave writes awesome songs, and this album just doesn't have a single memorable hook on it.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

EddieMullet

I guess by this time it's more of a Dave Wyndorf solo album under the Monster Magnet label, but that's OK I'm digging this.

Dylan Thomas

Spent some quality time with this last night, with headphones, yet another bong someone gave me, and my favorite Sake, and I enjoyed it a lot more.  I think listening to the crappy stream online didn't do it much justice, nor did listening to it on a boombox at work.  The production is kind of subtle, with a distant quality, and the vocals are much more subdued in the mix, which I think is the reason the songs weren't setting in for me.

MichaelZodiac

I really like the Hawkwind-isms on this record.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

The Bandit

Not a return to the wild early days, but a good, mature album.

EddieMullet

I'll be getting this on vinyl, then I'll report back.

I dig this album a lot, can't wait to hear it in full vinyl glory through the big speakers.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: The Bandit on October 23, 2013, 04:09:19 PM
Not a return to the wild early days, but a good, mature album.

Yeah, this is basically my take on it as well.

I got the 2xLP, it sounds pretty good.  Best on headphones though...

vortex surfer

I like it a lot. 'End of time' may be the best song I've heard in a while. I've never seen them live, for whatever reason (from exams to just plain indifference) I've missed them more than a few times over the past 15 years, but I'll definitely try to catch them this time around.

Big Muff

Looks good. I like Monster Magnet, but some of there stuff is super generic and boring. I haven't listened to much of this album yet, though.

ifihadafish

Had Powertrippin cranked this morning - I need to check out this new one!

alfie

Only been able to listen to it once - maybe it will grab me yet, but somehow doubt it. Hope so, though
Are you morbid?

The Bandit

The main problem with Monster Magnet albums to me are that they sound ok when I listen to them, but none of the songs stick with me for any amount of time.  The last album they did that gets any play here in Deaner land is God Says No. 

MadJohnShaft

They don't do it for me, for that reason.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Jor el

You People are Fucked in the Head™
What Would Scooby Do ?

vortex surfer

Really? I find songs like nod scene and negasonic teenage warhead pretty hummable.

The Shocker

Quote from: vortex surfer on January 31, 2014, 06:12:38 PM
Really? I find songs like nod scene and negasonic teenage warhead pretty hummable.

Early Monster Magnet is godly.  I am only talking about the albums after God Says No.

Jimmyjam

Quote from: CanookieWookie on October 11, 2013, 08:47:34 PM
One of the best albums these guys have ever made, in my opinion.  Quiet, but loud, slower, but heavy.  Shocked me how good it is.

couldn't agree more brother!

punkoso

less talk...more rock