Mmmmmm cheese!

Started by mertz, February 08, 2012, 01:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mertz

I had some with salami tonight for dinner. Very unhealthy dinner, but YUM!

mortlock

the power of suggestion is almost as amazing as cheese..

Demon Lung

My favorite cheese is extra sharpe cheddar. I also like jarlsberg Swiss. Sharpe provolone is so good. And then theres that creamy Mexican cheese

khoomeizhi

too much good cheese in the world to try to list. cheese is important. that is all.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

When it comes to cheese I am sure that I'm not alone when I say I have a sickness.  No I'm not talking aboot lactose intolerance either.  Just something that borders on fanaticism. Something I do aboot every 2 weeks is go to a very cool specialty cheese shop/cafe/winebar/pub here in Portland.  The owner is the towns premier cheese monger.  Dude goes all over the world hunting down cheese.  He's a crack up and a good dude to know.  Full of stories. I am usually there for a couple hours tasting cheeses, meats and having some wine or beer from their list of taps.  Always a fun day.

So just yesterday I spent near $50 on 3 different kinds of cheeses.  Here's what I got.

Brebis, espelete(raw sheep-France)  This is the d'pimente kind.

Wilde Weide gouda (raw organic cow-Holland) supposed to be aged at a warmer temp.
http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2045

Tilston Point Blue veined (cow-Wisconsin) very grainy super intense blue.  used it last night on a New York cut
http://culturecheesemag.com/tilston-point-blue
No Focus Pocus

black

There was this college cat that used to come to my old bands gigs and parties. He was a cool guy and always fun to talk to. He married woman who's job took her to Seattle. Somehow or another he decided that cheese was king, filled himself with knowledge and all things cheese related and ended up opening this joint;

http://www.residentcheesemonger.com/

I dig dropping by there anytime in the PNW. The varieties and flavors are out of this world. And my pal is still a hoot.

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

This is the place I go to but I've heard of the Resident dude.

http://cheese-bar.com/
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

CHEESE!!!!

That Tilston is good stuff.  Maytag's another great midwestern bleu. 

Here's a picture of a 100 lb bell made out of provolone:

I saw one of these for sale once.  It cost close to $200.  I am still flabbergasted to this day.

Also, I'll just leave this here: 
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mertz

Has anyone had luck with tofu cheese?

mortlock

mertz

MadJohnShaft

I'm with RAGER whenever we have some sort of eating event I go to Schaefers liquor store cheese counter or case and get three - one blue, one soft French type, and one cheddar (or Gouda) along with a cacciatore salami, with the white mold on the outside.

Ours has little description cards, and since WI is nearby most of it is small farm craft type stuff.  I am addicted.  So expensive, usually about $50. Yikes!

We bought two huge wedges of parmesan in Rome on the street for $10 - took about a year to get through - that would be $100 here.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

demon gal

MJS have you been to Pastoral on Lake and Wabash? They have some great tasting events.

khoomeizhi

got sampled at for a half hour by a rep from a pretty damn fine cheese distributor today. that was nice.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Jor el

Jarlsberg Swiss is indeed good shit.
What Would Scooby Do ?

neighbor664

The bar by my home makes a great grilled cheese with bacon sandwich. Add a few tomato slices from the condiments bar and it is awesomeness.

Demon Lung

Quote from: neighbor664 on February 11, 2012, 03:03:48 PM
The bar by my home makes a great grilled cheese with bacon sandwich. Add a few tomato slices from the condiments bar and it is awesomeness.
then it Is no longer a grilled cheese sandwich. When you start putting all of that other stuff on it (bacon and tomato) then it is a bacon, tomato and cheese sandwich. Not a grilled cheese

mertz

We'll call it grilled cheese "deluxe".

Demon Lung

Have you ever seen those shows on the travel channel. Those morons try to call a fucking ham and cheese panini a grilled cheese

RAGER

wow. and I thought I was particular.
No Focus Pocus

Demon Lung

Don't get me wrong. I will eat a grilled bacon tomato and cheese in a heartbeat

Jor el

Quote from: mertz on February 11, 2012, 03:50:50 PM

Deluxe comes with Fries and Slaw.
What Would Scooby Do ?

mertz

demon gal

Quote from: Jor el on February 11, 2012, 07:19:37 PM
Quote from: mertz on February 11, 2012, 03:50:50 PM

Deluxe comes with Fries and Slaw.

and the dinner comes with a choice of soup of the day or salad.  :P

neighbor664

Quote from: Demon Lung on February 11, 2012, 03:38:18 PM
Quote from: neighbor664 on February 11, 2012, 03:03:48 PM
then it Is no longer a grilled cheese sandwich. When you start putting all of that other stuff on it (bacon and tomato) then it is a bacon, tomato and cheese sandwich. Not a grilled cheese

Actually, I called it a grilled cheese. Because it is grilled and it has cheese.
However, on their menu it is listed as a "Cheese & Bacon Sandwich"

Semantics Nazi much?