Seasoning(s)

Started by Instant Dan, June 04, 2012, 05:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Share your recipes, or advices, for seasonings you put in your dishes.

I've been trying to come up with a fajita seasoning and this one I found on the web and modified for myself.

2 Tbsp chipolte chili powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp red pepper flakes

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

i like to keep things simple sometimes and just sprinkle a little garlic salt around..

RAGER

i can't even really begin but there's something to be said for just evoo, garlic, sea salt and peppers (black ,white, and red).  Let the food do the talking
No Focus Pocus

BitterAndTwisted

I don't make my own seasoning mixes per se as it all depends on the recipe I'm using and I'll put together whatever it is that I need fresh.  And there's really not much point when you can get stuff like Bacon Salt and Mrs Dash sent by air mail
Fucking retards, taste my nuts while getting dunked on.

MadJohnShaft

I always pick all the coriander (the seeds, not the leaves you brits, that's cilantro) and black mustard seeds every year.

I got a cumin plant - not a lot of faith it will produce Cumin seeds, but we shall see.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

I'm having a hard time right now finding 10 pounds of annatto seeds locally
No Focus Pocus

juggernaut

Quote from: RAGER on June 04, 2012, 09:53:29 PM
i can't even really begin but there's something to be said for just evoo, garlic, sea salt and peppers (black ,white, and red).  Let the food do the talking

I'm down with this approach.  Usually simpler is better.

khoomeizhi

Quote from: juggernaut on June 06, 2012, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: RAGER on June 04, 2012, 09:53:29 PM

I'm down with this approach.  Usually simpler is better.

that said, there's nothing wrong with letting spices carry some of the conversation sometimes, too. my life's been better for 'em. if i was going that way for something like fajitas, though, i'd want whole cumin/peppercorns/maybe even dry hot peppers, and grind 'em fresh. maybe toast 'em dry first, grind 'em with salt. as little powdered spices as possible = better (not just more) flavor. my mortar and pestle and i go way back.

...and that original fajita formulation would be all the better for just a bit more sweet. could just be good sweet paprika, could be something more interesting.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

lonely lady

spice