hardware

Started by James1214, August 08, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

things you couldn't live without in the kitchen, or just your favorite things.....

my henckles 8" knife

my cast iron dutch oven

one of these juicers

and a microplane

words

khoomeizhi

the household pair of 10" cast iron skillets
pressure cooker
wusthof classic 4.5" utility knife
grain mill
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Lumpy

Stainless steel 12" sautee pan with copper clad bottom and s.s. handle (goes into the oven too).

16" stainless steel deep sautee pan with glass lid

2.5 gallon stainless steel stock pot with lid

I stopped buying pans with non-stick surfaces, they don't last and they aren't healthy in the long run. I spent 25 bucks on the quality 12" pan but I've had it for 10 years running, and I've used the hell out of it with no end in sight. Buy once, cry once (it's worth it to buy sturdy professional-grade gear that will last).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

word up to saying no to non-stick bullshit

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Demon Lung

neighbor664

http://eat24hours.com/
'cuz sometimes I just don't feel like cooking.

James1214

^

that looks like software to me......
words

MadJohnShaft

Garlic Peeler

Tiny ass ceramic strainer

Food Mill (I hate the one I have and want a different one)

Some days chickens, some days feathers

neighbor664

juggernaut

MadJohnShaft

Splatter Screen

Thermapen

Digital Scale

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

peoplething

6" wusthof knife & sharpener
stainless steel pot & pans

I'm also on board with getting rid of that non-stick crap. you don't want your food to stick, use a tad of oil or bacon grease. humans have been consuming oil and grease way longer than Teflon...

not so much in the kitchen, but I absolutely need my smoker. once a month or so and my BBQ craving is satiated.

The Teflon thing has reminded me of something I absolutely want in the kitchen - a stainless steel griddle pan. The only thing I found that was close was a deep sided round one for $250.00. I'm not paying that.

anybody have any ideas?

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

khoomeizhi

Quote from: juggernaut on August 09, 2012, 12:15:33 PM
This thing...

dude! yes! i have one just like that because i couldn't find one like the one at my parent's house which is 300x cooler. stainless steel with a wooden handle. i still looks for a good one every time i'm in a antique-y place.

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on August 09, 2012, 03:56:24 PM

Is that a garlic press? Anthony Bourdain said they are an abomination, just chop your garlic instead of squeezing it through little holes. I used to use garlic presses but they always break eventually, now I chop and nobody cares, with one less gadget to wash.

MadJohnShaft

Hehe lime and lemon squeezer. We got one and they are the best.

Lumpy

People need separate ones for lemon and lime? I squeeze my citrus the old fashioned way, with my hands (but I don't think I've ever squeezed more than 4 lemons at a time, it's usually just a half).

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on August 09, 2012, 11:41:47 PM
People need separate ones for lemon and lime? I squeeze my citrus the old fashioned way, with my hands (but I don't think I've ever squeezed more than 4 lemons at a time, it's usually just a half).
yeah not a garlic press.  I smash and chop about 2-3 bulbs a day and try squeezing 20 lemons and some limes a day with 12-15 pounds of pork.  You'd buy a few of these.
No Focus Pocus

NCR600

My cheap and nasty cast iron skillet and ridged pan.
The two of them cost me less than 20 bucks from a dodgy Inidan tool stall at the local markets but after baking them coated in lard at the hottest my oven goes to for 3 hours, they are awesome and better than any fancy enamel or non stick teflon crap pans, even the Le Crueset ones.

I'd rate my pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron dutch oven a distant third because the Lodge factory coating kept flaking off until I treated it like the cheap shit pans and seasoned it properly. It is good to go now though, and I use it at least once a week.

I've got a bunch of different knives ranging from cheap to expensive, but they all give me the shits. The ones that hold an edge (normally the cheap ones) are hard to sharpen properly, and the ones that get a good edge won't hold it for long

MadJohnShaft

NCR600

If I could train the woman to sharpen the knives properly, or even at all, I would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

MadJohnShaft

Mine won't stop putting them in the damn dishwasher. That Or the drying rack with all kinds of dishes piles on top.... Why I bothered getting them sharpened if she's going to keep doing that....

NCR600

DO NOT get me started on knives in the dishwasher. I've already lost that battle, and will lose the cast iron pans in the soapy water battle soon enough.

peoplething

the only solution I've found for the woman to not put the knife in the dish washer is to wash it immediately.

and that's only effective for the 6", the smaller ones don't stand a chance.

edit: an hour ago I went into the kitchen to make a sandwich, and found the bread knife covered in tomato seeds.......why?
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator