Tomato ka-pow

Started by MadJohnShaft, August 09, 2012, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Tomato

Ka-pow

It is sad to turn all those good eating tomatoes into sauce but that was a defensive move.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

do what you got to do..

RAGER

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on August 09, 2012, 10:27:17 PM
Tomato

Ka-pow

It is sad to turn all those good eating tomatoes into sauce but that was a defensive move.

That's funny.  Before I read the last line, that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm not so much into canning as I am into freezing.  Freeze them whole or diced and stewed or blanched.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I have three Roma plants out there that haven't started doing their thing yet, I've been giving away tomatoes at work.  This year is a big one for tomatoes.

I make ziplock bags of sauce to freeze - including my finest invention, freezing one single pizza's worth in snack bags. This round I left it a little chunky.

( salt pork, rosemary, red pepper, oil, can of tomatoe paste, tomatoes is the step moms recipe I use)

I never tried freezing tomatoes - ill have to do that this year. Do you take off skin and seeds or blanch? Or just chop up and stick in a bag?

RAGER

blanch em to get the skins off then either chop or leave them whole.  not much of a garden for me this year.  Spending too many hours at the restaurant.
No Focus Pocus

lowdaddy

is that a chayote between the eggplant and cantaloupe?
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

MadJohnShaft

Mango.

I have a few tomatoes to use so I will freeze chopped up. I like it.

MadJohnShaft

Cannot eat or look at another tomato.  There are still a million more coming in before the freeze - most of the romas are still green.  There must be another dozen or so of the gigantic two pounders out there too. Urgh...

This year was a bumper crop, I made 3 rounds of sauce and froze another bunch. Will be hard to eat up by next summer. Must concentrate.

MadJohnShaft

Final Harvest .... There is still chard, leeks, failed tomatillos and some nice herbs

Saving the seeds each year - This guy is the grandson pumpkin - the third generation from my backyard.  I only get one.

With the horseradish I made plain and beet flavored.  Refrigerator style only.  I love this stuff.   I am trying to move it out of the garden to an ornamental location - this was in the garden anyway - the part left were the long runners I didn't use. It made three huge thick roots. Wonderful.

Tomato Ka-pow

I made one pumpkin seed Sage and one spicy peppers. Hey- that gourd in the middle was hanging off my house - didn't plant it, must have been in the compost pile from last year.

Squash etc