Flash Gordon

Started by FullCustom, July 25, 2012, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullCustom

I've been watching the 1930's Flash Gordon on netflix lately.  It's awesome and hilarious at the same time.  Just a warning, in the 1930's it seems an old man in a turtle neck and hot pants was totally fine. 

Jor el

I haven't seen any of that stuff in years.
Good Shit.
What Would Scooby Do ?

boltthrow

One of the missteps in "Ted" was their love for the 1980s film, Flash Gordon.  I saw it when it came out.  It was shit, in no way even cheesy good.  No one could have loved it or its star, Sam Jones.

The End.

CanookieWookie

Wrong. I actually like it alot, and have it on VHS.  :)

Jor el

Bolt just went Full Retard.

The lizard men costumes are embarrassing - beyond that, the movie is its own dealio.
Fantastic soundtrack.

Max von Sydow, Ornella Muti, Topol.....

Dino De Laurentiis you banana head.
What Would Scooby Do ?

gritty_fingers

Quote from: Jor el on July 26, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

Bolt just went Full Retard.

The lizard men costumes are embarrassing - beyond that, the movie is its own dealio.
Fantastic soundtrack.

Max von Sydow, Ornella Muti, Topol.....

Dino De Laurentiis you banana head.

The real star of that movie was the production designer. All those sets, the space ship, etc. looked exactly like the comic book. I'm surprised that movie wasn't nominated for best set design in the Oscars.
"Ginger People"

kojak

oh fuck yeah the '80s flash is great.  i've always thought so

boltthrow

IT WAS SHIT!!  DINO D IS NO GUARANTEE OF QUALITY!  WHITE BUFFALO ANYONE?!  KING KONG?!  FLASH WAS WEARING A FUCKING T-SHIRT FOR CHRISSAKES!  "FLESH GORDON" WAS A BETTER MOVIE!!

Jor el

Bolt worked on Hercules/Xena/Brisco - so he knows shit when he sees it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

Dude, Topol was in this ... how can bad things be said about it  ???

I've always liked the movie, but there are some definite DUMB parts in it, but it's supposed to be pure camp, isn't it?

The soundtrack rules.

Jor el

I agree that it's shit - but it was perfect timing.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Narco Pollo

I loved it.  Total camp.  Awesome soundtrack.  Had the action figure.
Drug Chicken

Narco Pollo

Drug Chicken

lordfinesse

Quote from: GodShifter on July 27, 2012, 03:00:39 PM
The soundtrack rules.

This.

It's good in it's own way. My wife walked down the aisle in our wedding to the wedding march from this cd.
Billy Squier 24/7

HORNS

Quote from: gritty_fingers on July 26, 2012, 11:43:21 PM

The real star of that movie was the production designer. All those sets, the space ship, etc. looked exactly like the comic book. I'm surprised that movie wasn't nominated for best set design in the Oscars.

^THIS!

applauded!

boltthrow

So the production designer could copy the comic book?  Doesn't take much talent.  One more reason I hated it so much.  It didn't understand that you don't want to watch the comic book, you want to watch a movie.   

HORNS

Quote from: boltthrow on August 08, 2012, 09:36:15 AM
So the production designer could copy the comic book?  Doesn't take much talent.  One more reason I hated it so much.  It didn't understand that you don't want to watch the comic book, you want to watch a movie.   

Nah, the production designer had an impeccable sense of design and style. And restraint.

Its why Joel Schumacher's Batman's look like an explosion of brightly colored garbage and Delaurentis' Flash Gordon is visually sublime.

Look at that shit. Its fucking EPIC.

And the GORE! Its a kid's movie with the villain impaled at the end. Klytus lands on a bed of spikes and his eyes bulge out of his metal skull!
If one can't appreciate the schlocky idiotic fun of Flash Gordon, I'm afraid to ask what they think of "Big Trouble In Little China"...

peoplething

if the movie were made today, I would agree 110% - some twit sitting behind a computer could have the whole movie mapped and rendered in a couple weeks.

but 30 years ago they had to build that stuff from scratch, and making it look exactly like the comic was pretty monumental, especially since the set would be compared directly to the already existent  comic book.

that's one of the reason's I love carpenters 'The Thing', nothing is CG'd - it's really 400lbs of latex and foam rubber siting in the room with the actors.

same goes for Dark Crystal. awhile ago I was farting around and converted the total production cost of what it would cost to make the Dark Crystal today. All I really did was adjust the dollar value with some internet calculators - $300,000,000 to make that film today.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Jor el

1.)   I may, or may not, be high.
2.)   Max Von Sydow
3.)   Princess Aura & Dale Arden pillow fight.
4.)   Jack Burton, Me.
5.)   
What Would Scooby Do ?

gritty_fingers

Quote from: peoplething on August 09, 2012, 04:51:43 PM

if the movie were made today, I would agree 110% - some twit sitting behind a computer could have the whole movie mapped and rendered in a couple weeks.

but 30 years ago they had to build that stuff from scratch, and making it look exactly like the comic was pretty monumental, especially since the set would be compared directly to the already existent  comic book.

I don't know if I 100% agree with that.  I do see your point of view though. Its easier for the actors to react to built set pieces than a blank green screen. I just don't think all CG is bad though. Some of it is pretty bad and its noticable. But when the CG is good, no one complains about it.

We do agree that the Flash Gordon movie has some wonderful, creative, artistic set pieces and costumes and that helped bring the film to life. I will leave it at that.

I don't understand why Bolt is so down on that aspect of the film.
"Ginger People"

boltthrow

Big Trouble was shlocky but genuinely fun with actual fight scenes and a leading man with charisma.  (My favorite moment:  when he kisses Kim Catrall and says, "Sorry, just happy to be alive.") 

Everything about Flash Gordon was a cheesy, gay misfire.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

gritty_fingers

Quote from: boltthrow on August 10, 2012, 01:12:47 PM
Everything about Flash Gordon was a cheesy, gay misfire.
Quote from: Jor el on August 10, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Does that look gay to you Bolt? ^^^
"Ginger People"

boltthrow

One extra dressed provocatively does not even dent the cheesy gayness of the theme by Queen.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?