Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

We got it up to temp over coals and threw on some small fuel just to hit the outer surface with some flame. It's a whole different ballgame like that.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

Dinner the other night.  Pan roasted chicken thighs, braised cannellini beans, and sauteed broccoli and green beans
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The other night I made a German type dish with taters, brats, sauerkraut, and roast beast.  I had some leftover roast beast so i did this with it.

Rolled it up with rice, parm, sage, and diced landjaeger sausage.  made a beef gravy to cook em in and steamed some broccoli,.

Beef roll ups

No Focus Pocus

mertzy

I just found an amazing recipe for Brie wrapped in filo...gonna make it for Christmas

Jor el

Hook me up with some Shepherds Pie, Jack.
What Would Scooby Do ?

mertzy

Mmmmm pumpkin bread. This recipe has been in my family since the 70's

I,Galactus

Here's my brandied ham recipe.  Made it again for a holiday brunch; served w/ biscuits, eggs, and hashbrowns.  Looks great on a platter and makes awesome leftover sandwiches for days.

- 1 half bone in ham (approx. 6 lb)
- 1 1/2 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. brandy or bourbon
- 2 T. grainy brown mustard

1.  Cut hard rind off ham (if any) and score fat in a diamond pattern,
2.  Heat ham 10 min per pound @ 350° F or until hot all the way through.
3.  Combine glaze ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil over medium.
4.  Simmer glaze until thick and syrupy.
5.  Slather all over ham and bake another 30 min
6.  Slice, serve, and enjoy.

Here's my question: what to do with the ham bone?  I'm thinking something slow and low with beans or some such?  Paging stoner rock foodies...
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

I like to stew the bone with some  onions and then cook beans in that strained liquid.
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on December 31, 2012, 01:13:06 PM
I like to stew the bone with some  onions and then cook beans in that strained liquid.

Does that make soup or more like just a pot o' beans?  I'm asking because I'm not even sure which one of those I want.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

Just makes a really flavorful pot of beans.
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on December 31, 2012, 01:59:40 PM
Just makes a really flavorful pot of beans.

Right on.  I think I'll get some new years' bone beans going tomorrow.

RAGER

One of my favorites.  simple rosemary and olive oil braised cannellini beans with a buttermilk biscuit. oh and a little fresh grated parm D.O.P.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Bone beans were badass.  

- 1 Meaty ham bone
- 1 diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb of these soaked overnight (trashed the seasoning):

8 hours on low in the [kitchen appliance which shall not be named].  Pulled the bones out at 7 hrs and added leftover ham chunks.  Served with cornbread and them's good eatin'.  New tradition material, f'sho.  Thanks for the assist RAGER.

RAGER

Good call on chuckin' that flav-pak.  nasty shit in there.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Tonight was Cajun.  I didn't even cook.  I just plated.  My girl did the cookin.  Fucking delish....

Red beans, pearl rice, sauteed shrimp, andouille sausage, and cheddar chive biscuits.

No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Name of thread = "Recipes..."  Moar recipes, less photofoodblog plzkthxbai.

GodShifter

Plating = excellent, the food looks even better

RAGER

You're right.  i have been remiss in actually posting recipes.  Other people have done better at this but i don't use recipes per se.  I just jam.  I take some guide lines an go from there, sorry.  I drink.  and smoke weed.

My girl is an awesome cook.  she does the stuff that I don't normally do.  I'm more savory/umami and she does stuff with veggies and fruits and nuts.  it's really refreshing when i don't cook.  The cajun dish was at my prompting.

If it's pizza night, I'd rather she cook than I.  Then I know it's gonna be like goat cheese, arugala, and pine nuts or something.  Something MJS would hate and I like that.
No Focus Pocus

black

Quote from: I,Galactus on January 23, 2013, 05:29:03 PM

Since you "jam" instead of following a written recipe, have you thought about videoing your creations. That would give some of us curious types a kind of template if we dared to get as culinarally adventurous as you. That would be cool.

Plus it would be interesting to watch you plate up some of those pretty meals. Another skill I seem to lack.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

I,Galactus

Quote from: black on January 24, 2013, 10:58:03 AM
Quote from: I,Galactus on January 23, 2013, 05:29:03 PM

Since you "jam" instead of following a written recipe, have you thought about videoing your creations. That would give some of us curious types a kind of template if we dared to get as culinarally adventurous as you. That would be cool.

Plus it would be interesting to watch you plate up some of those pretty meals. Another skill I seem to lack.

Word.  I ain't trying to be a dick (I do so well without trying, why bother?), just trying to glean a bit more info out of that magic jazz jam you (and your girl) do in the kitchen.

Jor el

Where are the actual fucking recipes?
What Would Scooby Do ?

deleted account

precisely.  I say we start a thread about this in gen. disc.  find this shit out once and for all

RAGER

Ok.  Plans got foiled yesterday so here I am at 7:30 with coffee in hand.

The other night I made a pretty simple roasted chicken thigh dish.  Chovie's old lady would dig it.

plated it up on top of mixed greens and arugula with a stupid simple blue cheese vinaigrette.

RECIPE

Pack of bone in chicken thighs (6-8)
1 yellow onion sliced
4 large carrots cut into large chunks
4 large cloves of garlic
about 5 sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary
salt and pepper
Trader Joes 21 seasoning salute
about 4 big glugs of olive olive oil

Mixed greens/arugula
white wine vinegar
crumbled blue cheese

After you've washed and dried your chicken thighs set them aside and start on your aromatic veggies and herbs. Slice one whole yellow onion or a white one if you're racist or if you've spent the extra money on one.  put into a large roasting pan.  Clean and trim but don't peel your carrots.  Just cut them into about 3 or 4 pieces.  Big chunks yeah.  Take your garlic cloves and smash them with the side of your knife and the skins are easy to remove.  After you've separated the skins give them another smash and a rough chop.  Add them to the roasting pan,  Add a bit of kosher salt and some black pepper.  Add a couple glugs of olive oil (extra virgin olive oil).  mix it all up a bit and put the roasting pan on the stove top at about med heat.  This is a good time to preheat the oven to 450.  So the roasting pan is getting hot on the big burner and the veggies are starting to sizzle.  just get them to where things are smelling nice and starting to soften.  Remove from heat. leave this stuff in an even layer in the pan.  Add the sprigs of thyme or rosemary on top of that.

Now for the chicken.  Add a few glugs of olive oil to the thighs in a glass bowl, mix around.  add some salt and black pepper and mix around a bit more so it's evenly coated.  Lay the thighs on top of the veggies in the roasting pan skin side up with a little room between everything.  Just a bit more salt and pepper sprinkled on top of everything and then sprinkle the Trader Joes 21 seasoning salute on top too.  I like to be liber with this stuff.  keep in mind there's no salt in it.

Into the preheated oven at 450 it all goes for about 20 minutes to a half hour.  This is to sear the meat.  you could also sear the meat in a saute pan on the stove first too which is what I do often.  Anyways after your meat is oven seared, leave the oven door shut and turn the heat down to 350. 

Here's where my preference takes over.  I like dark meat slow cooked and falling off the bone so I let it go about and hour or so.  it's kind of to your preference.  it'll probably be done and to temp by the 40 minute mark or slightly before but I like my thighs done done done.  White meat is a different story.

When you pull it out of the oven let it rest for a few while you mix up some greens and arugula.  drizzle some evoo, some white wine vinegar, and crumble some blue cheese on top.  Then just set a thigh atop that with a couple carrots and some of the onions and oh damn is that good.  happy day!

Seems lengthy but not really.  Alittle bit of prep and some wait time.  Easy to find and on hand ingredients.

No Focus Pocus