Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

I had leftover green curry coconut chicken and since I had run oot of rice or noodles and a trip to the store would've been too painful, I decided to wing it and make a thai version of risotto, adding some leftover lemongrass, ginger & thai basil with the usual onion/shallot & garlic. Instead of parmesan I used some coconut cream to get it nice and creamy. It worked pretty damn good.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

ez

try parmesan next time. one of my distinct childhood memories is discovering how well curry goes with cheese when my mom made us spaghetti with left over green curry.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

MadJohnShaft

I made this....from a barely translated recipe, courtesy of google translator....

While the meat is washed and placed in a container with maguey leaves in the background and bearing ensima nomas meat salt and covered with maguey leaves and goes to a stone oven and leave for 4 or 5 hours after settles into another container with lard Tantita deep and settles beef with guajillo chile marinade tantito and baked in the oven of the stove to brown and ready to serve the sauce so it gets ready to sew with tomato huaje i salt water and juice that was left to sew the flesh peeled tomatoes are milled and sewn with tantito well ground roasted cumin and strain the sauce and boil to make this chili is hot and dry chile de arbol in blender tantito garlic cumin and salt pepper and vinegar i ready to eat with good cold servesas well greetings to all and good probecho

Seriously, I made Birra again from beef stew meat with everything else in it homemade, I even broiled 5 tomatillos and put that in the stock.  My family ate a whole huge gallon of it last night. I think this is my new recipe to perfect - last night I used homemade turkey stock, homemade tomato sauce, RAGER pepper paste, cumin and spices I brought back from BA, beef stew meat I had pounded flat and dry rubbed that morning, browned before going in soup, and I made an onion, carrot,celery, peppers, garlic mirepoix to kick the whole thing off.... Mexican oregano.

Superb - with radishes, white onion, those Mexican cheeses, cilantro, fried corn tortilla strips and sour cream served as toppings.

Muy bueno!

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Don't forget the jalapenos, zanahorias, y cebollas en escabeche con cilantro ensalada.  Muy autentica
No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

Yesterday my girl and me made a delicious meal, sadly I've forgot to take a pic. Rice vermicelli with a thai salad (rocket, spinach, thai basil, cilantro) and a red onion vinaigrette (made of soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, chili, a bit of sugar and of course chopped red onion). And I baked 2 horse steaks (heavily peppered on both sides) medium rare, cut them up in slices and placed on top of the salad. The juice in the pan went over the salad as well.
Since horse meat is a bit sweeter than beef, it worked really well together.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

I've never had horse meat but I'm not averse to trying it.  Had a girlfriend who had horses in highschool so we rode a lot.  Horses are stupid animals so yeah I'd eat one just to get back at being bitten, kicked at, farted towards, and stepped on.

Anywhoo.  last night I made puerco asada with guacamole, chips and salsa.  Served on crisped corn tortillas.

3 bone in thin cut pork chops rinsed and patted dry
2 Tblsp RAGER ASADA SEASONING * plus 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and stems

Liberally douse the chops on both sides with RAGER ASADA SEASONING and chopped cilantro.  Let this sit in a roasting pan at room temp for about an hour or so.

Sear them in a saute pan for just a few minutes on each side until browned and the RAGER ASADA SEASONING is acting like a blackened seasoning.  Transfer back to clean roasting pan, cover and put in the oven on aboot 250 to keep warm and barely finish cooking.  At this time you can get your other shit together (salsa and guac) and crisp up some tortillas.  Pull oot your chops and thinly slice, serve on crisp tortillas with your side stuff.  This is also great on a grill.

*RAGER ASADA SEASONING

About a tbls mild chili powder
about a 1/2 tsp ground chipotle chili powder *
!/2 tblsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
About a tblsp dried Mexican oregano
A couple few turns of the pepper mill
!/2 tblsp kosher salt

Thoroughly mix together.  * If you don't have ground chipotle powder you can mix together cayenne and some smoked paprika for a similar smokey flavor.

Slight edit.  The RAGER ASADA SEASONING blend is approximate as I don't usually adhere to an actual recipe.  I know the color and flavor I'm going for.  Some may want less salt or less heat.  Adjust to your liking.
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

^ applauded.  How's that RAGER ASADA on carne?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

You mean on beef?  It's good.  Also good on chicken.  I would lower the salt content for shrimp or fish though.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I can't remember if I took out a steak or pork chops from the freezer but either way will do that tonight.

Volume

Here's a great recipe for leftover veggies. Quick, easy and very tasty too bad I ate it all before I could take a pic.

What you need:

Tomatoes (cherry or plum are great for this)
1-2 Onion
Garlic
Herbs
Olive Oil
Balsamic vinegar
Bratwurst or some other spicy sausages

To this you can pretty much whatever vegetables you have. Yesterday when I made it I added celery, paprika, cannelini beans and squash.

Heat the oven to 225°C, halve cherry/plum tomatoes, bigger tomatoes to 1/4 or 1/8. Roughly chop onions and garlic and whatever vegetables you want to add and put everything in an oven safe dish along with olive oil, salt and pepper. You can also throw in some herbs like thyme, rosemary or oregano. Let it cook for 15-20 min depending on how much and what vegetables you have.

Take out the dish and some sugar or honey if it's too acidic (depends on the tomatoes and how much other stuff you've added). Pick the sausages with a fork and put them on top. Reduce the heat in the oven a bit and let it cook for another 15-20 min until the sausages are done. Add some balsamic vinegar and sprinkle some parsley on top. Serve!

MadJohnShaft

I bought some damn Goat from the inside Farmers market to make birria-de-chivo with actual goat meat.  

Turns out you can  make a jello like dessert out of that  Chicha Morada corn drink I have been enjoying

Making it now....

Mazamorra morada is a popular Peruvian dessert made from purple corn and fruit. It's thickened into a pudding-like texture with potato flour or corn starch, and spiced with cinnamon and cloves. It tastes a bit like blackberry pie filling, but more exotic. Mazamorra has a beautiful deep purple (morada) color, and is usually served cold.

This stuff is wonderful !  I like it!

RAGER

Last night was stuffed chicken boobs with roasted brussels sprouts and braised celery.

I'm not gonna lay down a recipe here cuz stuffed boobs aren't anything out of the ordinary.  But there's a couple ways to do this.  You can take a large boob and slice it in half , pound it flat and put your filling in and roll them up or you can leave them whole ,which I did, and slice a little pocket and fill that.  I did a mushroom bread crumb parm onion garlic number.

For the celery and sprouts i roasted the brussels sprouts with some bacon.  Then I braised the celery in chicken stock, onions and garlic .  then I added a puree of kimchi for some zing.  Little yellow celery leaves and slivered almonds make the garnish with a quick pan sauce.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Last night was ribs.  Just a little salt and put them in the oven on aboot 200 while we went out cavorting around Portland for the afternoon.  Got back home and stoke a good fire in the chiminea and then finished them over that.

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Interesting thought to cook on that, I like it.  Are those for cooking?  I guess the heat is very high but any flair ups are down low.  I like it but can't own 6 grills.  Interesting.

MadJohnShaft

I've found a mom-type blog page with Columbian recipes - I made her Columbian Chorizo sausage with rice recipe and the family ate it up.  I've found that rice dishes should be made with water not stock.

These are pretty good but I use a soffrita preparation step and always brown the meat and deglaze whether that's in the recipe or not.  I can't wait to get peppers out of the garden this year, finally have a way to use all I can grow.

I went to La Unica and bought two big baskets full of stuff so now I have ingredients to make just about everything

I'm working my way up to a Columbian Paisa Tray (Bandeja Paisa)

I like the recipe for those beans....so doing that this weekend.  My wife likes yuca and green plaintains

http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/how-to-make-frisoles-antioquenos

RAGER

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on April 26, 2013, 07:18:15 AM
Interesting thought to cook on that, I like it.  Are those for cooking?  I guess the heat is very high but any flair ups are down low.  I like it but can't own 6 grills.  Interesting.

No it's not meant to cook over.  It's just that I hate to waste the energy it provides so I cook something over it if we're having a fire oot back.

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on April 26, 2013, 07:28:12 AM
 I've found that rice dishes should be made with water not stock.
What??!!  Maybe sometimes but not all the time.  Specify please.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Always turn out gluey and heavy. If it's cooking rice in a dish, I add water now instead of stock. I mean like if it's 4 cups of liquid needed I add 4 cups of water with a two cubes of stock in it instead of four cups of stock.

Hey Sunday's episode of the new Anthony Bourdain show is on Columbia

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/04/24/colombian-food/?hpt=hp_c3

RAGER

I always use a little less liquid than what rice calls for.  I swear they want you to fuck up and just eat in restaurants instead.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

[/quote]

I'm making these beans today along with some slow roasted chicken legs and some rice in stock jack!
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Yeah!  With Mazamorra Morada - Peruvian Purple Corn Pudding for dessert?

I'm making that again and some chicken stock, in my pressure cooker, don't tell the FbI

RAGER

Frisoles Antioquenos.

I used smoke ham shanks not hocks.  More meat.

Extra alinos at the ready.

Hogao (oh-gow)

Also made white rice and aji and roasted up some chicken legs dusted with a modified RAGER ASADA SEASONING.

I also made my own sazon azafran to go in the alinos.  I ain't got time to run to the mercato for that shit.  Got everything on hand.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Nice.  Looks better than the official recipe.  These Columbian have an insane number of soups - there is always some blendered paste to dump in and a salsa as a topping.

The Goya and the two sauces makes this too much work for a school night.  Maybe I slow cooker the first part.

RAGER

Make the sauces and sazon and soak the beans then throw it all in the crock port the next morning.  Fiesta de Columbia when you get home.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

All done, took a vacation day today to garden and cook.  I like this, it's interesting. Will reheat for dinner tonight.

I made the Pastel de Chocolo con Champiñones (Mushrooms and Corn Casserole) just for fun too.

Can't find a Mexican Oregano plant anywhere so I've given up.  Bought a Bay bush instead, will bring inside in the fall with the lemon tree.

RAGER

Dinner was thrown together tonight in a hurry.  Tostadas with the leftover Columbian beans, a corn saute`, feta, micro greens, and a quick sauce of aboot a 1/4 of an avocado a chipotle pepper (canned) and some sour cream. Over the top was a jarred tomatillo salsa (sue me).  Fuck it it was good.

No Focus Pocus