Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Nidi di rondine.

It's basically rolled up strips of pasta with stuff in them, sliced and baked in bechamel/mornay.

Don't have a pasta roller anymore so I used parcooked lasagna noodles. Spread a pecorino mornay on them and layered ham and fontina. Rolled them up and sat on end in a baking dish with butter and then the mornay. Topped with a little mozzarella and red sauce. Baked 356° for about 40 min.

I'll do it just a bit different next time. I think I can find fresh pasta sheets or I can borrow a pasta roller.

You can use prosciutto, mushrooms, roasted eggplant, roasted garlic, emmentaler...etc. or combinations.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Nice one, beautiful plating. Ah, so, parboil the lasagna...I'll do that soon.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Did a riff on Philly pork sandwich.

Three stage pork cook.

Dry brine for a few hours. Make a paste of a little salt, garlic, oregano , thyme, rosemary. Rub pork all over.

Lay pork on a bed of rough chop mirepoix. Roast un covered at 400-ish for about a half hour to get a nice crust. Lower heat to 325, add some stock and white wine, cover go another hour and a half if you use a small shoulder section or more if you're doing a 6 pounder.

Remove meat and slice. Yes it's hot and you could wait but I didn't cuz it was already 4:30.

Add sliced meat back in and add a little more stock. Cover and reduce heat to 275. Let go another hour.

Assemble as you would with sautéed broccolini or raab if you have it.

I used some pickled jalapeños and it's not a bad thing if some of that mirepoix gets on the sandwich too.

No Focus Pocus

James1214

Not a specialty per se but I made Juicy Lucy's tonight and fuck.... I love that style of burger. Makes me think of touring and eating all the cheese Minnesota and Wisconsin had to offer.
words

RAGER

Fuck yes James. Sounds bitchin.

Made a jar of salsita de arbol. Here's the process in picture form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

holy smokes nice color. lemme get started...I have that vinegar and everything else except maybe the arbol, but I have other dried chilies that need usin'. no whole garlic but I have the jar, chopped variety. Is there water in there too? or just vinegar. That's a good sized jar of the stuff.

RAGER

You CAN add a little water if you're using bigger chilis and you've soaked them after roasting briefly (see original RAGER Mexican chili paste from years past) but not totally necessary. However , while blending I'd add some oil to emulsify. Note, there's tomato in there too. Again not necessary especially if you want fire in a bottle. Don't forget the salt too. It tempers and balances heat. Bit of vinegar is a must.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

oh boy, batch already done! No salt, no soak, no tomats. Total wing-job since I wanted to get right at it.

Dried Chile pods no soak incl. seeds no stems no strain
1ea Pasilla-Ancho
1ea Guajillo
1 lot Arbol
3/4 white onion
Tbsp garlic chopped from jar
Thai vinegar the one RAGER showed
Avocado oil to sauté short simmmer no lid til garlic brown, oops, off heat.

Electric food prepper to blend, pouring in more avacado oil. Why not some peanut oil too. Pouring in some more Thai vinegar. Why not some sweet rice vinegar too.
Water, 3-4oz just to open it up, kinda paste-y. Now good.

It tastes really good. Really! Brownish color, camera flash hypes it a bit.
Will see what happens when it cools but golly not a bad 1st batch.

I appreciate the inspiration Chef RAGER

14oz

RAGER

Right on. Curious how hot it is. I'd add salt
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

as of now it's super mild. It does need salt. I'll see where its at tomorrow but nothing hot, about 3/4 strength of Tabasco. It has a fruitiness to it, not mango, but something. Probably the jar garlic and rice vinegar but I only put a tiny amount of that. Oh! I sautéed in some Mexican oregano too. A bit much of that, maybe that has an affect.

Muffin Man

it held, didn't seperate at all overnight. This stuff is delish. I think the hint of sweetness is coming from the onion as well as the (sweet)vinegar. Low heat/scoville but it hangs on, and on.

I'm going to make more and gift it to my salsa peeps. So glad you brought this recipe up, RAGER. Although I'm off recipe now, and since I'm out on a limb I dropped some fermented soy bean to get the salt. Might not work, but it might. Can't hurt.

Muffin Man

ended up here (fresh out of buns) w/Kulshan IPA.

mortlock

holy shit that looks amazing.

Muffin Man

I wanted to send you some salsa, mort. It's pretty good. That bruggle needed more salsa though...I had imagined a flood of it, should have, but held back for burg-1. You can make this stuff too easy.

full disclosure- I still have my white onion so I had actually used 3/4 Walla-walla/sweet onion/vidallia. So, some sweet from there. Not fruity.

RAGER

I've been doing these foldies for a while now ever since I saw Roy Choi's chef series with John Favreau.

This one I pre crisped a CORN tortilla goddammit. None of that flour shit for this.

While I smeared it with 4 day old guacamole I had a fresh laid egg sizzling with a broken yolk. On purpose. Pulled the egg out, put down shredded cheddar right in the hot pan. That's right. Then I put down some black beans and brown rice then a little more cheddar then the egg, little more cheese then finally the smeared crispy tortilla. "It's all upside down"?!?! you're thinking. Yep!  Then I basted the top err bottom soon to be with my hot arbol sauce. Now I flip the whole mess over. Crispy cheese reveals itself while also holding everything together with cheesy goo. Carefully fold it over and fry and tuck the contents back in like a hastily packed suitcase.

Adorn. Et voila

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Muffin Man

oh yeah, I need to try this clam sauce, Used to go there as a kid with the fam. Kinda like going to an all you can eat buffet but it was sitdown. The hugest plates of pasta with glorious gravy. You could get 1/2 'n 1/2 clam and red. or any split of the sauces they had, which, if I remember, was alot of varieties. Oh my. Not remembering the bread baskets but they must've had those too. I'm almost ready to make clam sauce. I think they might have had bread sticks baskets, not sure. But that would be fun.

Pissy

What the hell has been going in here ?  Those mexi-dishes look amazing!
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Stir fry with broccolini, carrots, daikon, fried tofu and braised king oyster mushrooms.

The sauce base is garlic, onions, ginger sautéed in oil then shaoxing wine, oyster sauce , fish sauce, soy sauce.

Over Thai jasmine.

Plated with some Szechuan chili oil.

No Focus Pocus

James1214

Quote from: RAGER on March 17, 2023, 12:18:12 AMStir fry with broccolini, carrots, daikon, fried tofu and braised king oyster mushrooms.

The sauce base is garlic, onions, ginger sautéed in oil then shaoxing wine, oyster sauce , fish sauce, soy sauce.

Over Thai jasmine.

Plated with some Szechuan chili oil.

Holy fuck that looks so damn good. Been without internet at the house for almost 3 weeks, (weather related bullshit) just got it all fired up and checked in on the board, and jeeeeeeeezy. I'm 100% making a fried crosshatched tofu like that. I have my favorite sauce I use for such things, but will definitely take inspiration.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
words

RAGER

This one could def go on the food truck.

Chops marinated in brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, sriracha, white pepper and looooots of minced garlic
Seared then reduced the marinade into a glaze. Place on bottom bun with thin sliced cukes under, top with lime dressed shredduce, cilantro, scallion. Top with sriracha fish sauce mayo on toasted ciabatta.
Side of tots with comeback sauce.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

I had a hankering recently for Salisbury Steak. with all the late summer/spring snow we've had here in the Sierra, I've always associated the dish with wintertime.

My wife (who was a vegetarian for 23 years, before she met me) had never had one that wasn't from an 80's TV dinner, So I made the most highfalutin' version I could. I wish I took photos.

Local grassfed beef, mushrooms from my buddy Pete, onions we grew over the winter, chives that are still growing in the garden... mashed potatoes were made from potatoes from last year kept in my root cellar. Literally everything came from within 5 miles of my house, and holy fuck.... It was unbelievable. I mean, so much so that the lady requested that it become a part of my semi-regular recipe rotation. Everything was seat of the pantsed, but I've made a million gravies before. I did throw some tamari, worcestershire, and dehydrated mushroom powder in the brown gravy to jack the umami to 11.

10 out of 10 Highly recommend making it yourself.
words