pickled

Started by Demon Lung, January 21, 2012, 12:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demon Lung

does anyone have any good pickling recipes? you can pickle alot of things. boiled eggs, jalepenos, okra...

RAGER

I pickle lots of stuff.  Sometimes it's very traditional an other times it's a little different.  I like to do curried pickled cauliflower and pearl onions with some arbol peppers to add a little heat.  I'm also a fan of just getting some giardineria or a pickled hot mix from the store and when it's about gone I'll pop a couple hard boiled eggs in there for a week.  Or when the jar of pickles is gone use that or add some different spices to it for a pickling base.  Lots of websites devoted to pickling.

Making your own sauerkraut and kimchi is easy too.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

got a batch of red cabbage/sunchoke kraut started last night...

i like doing okra, flat-pod green beans, etc like a kosher dill. not sure where my most fine-tuned version of the recipe is at the moment, though.
approximately equal water & vinegar, salt, a shit-ton of garlic, dill seedheads, a bit of hot pepper, some peppercorns, a few young fresh grape leaves for maximum crunch retention...damn fine.

i likes pickled stuff

let's dispense the unpleasantries

libertycaps

Canning a 3-4 quart batch of Jalapenos y zanahorias en escabeche is on deck. Sad thing is, apparently i can't use my enameled cookware on my flat top induction heat range. Guess i'll have to go ahead with buying a 4 quart stainless steel pressure cooker to proceed. This Friday is glorious payday. I'll hit Roses this weekend.

Demon Lung

Roses still exists? Where do you live?

libertycaps

RAGER

Down to the last of my kimchi.  gotta make some more
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

my friend pickles everything..ive come to the conclusion that you can pickle virtually anything and have something killer..especially when it comes to veggies..

GodShifter

mortlock, I've come to the conclusion that you'd eat a rotted goat carcass almost ...

Dude, you'll eat anything. Is there anything you don't like  ???

mortlock

i love everything..except yogurt..

id eat a goat carcass garbage plate. 

RAGER

So you don't like tzatziki? :-[
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

that i probably would like..

GodShifter

GodShifter

Ok, smart guy, I was just googling it, but thanks anyway  :P

I like that stuff like that. Especially on a gyro! Yum!

RAGER

Ok among other things, today was kimchi day!!!! yay!!!.

One head of napa cabbage and one head of bok choy chopped and soaking in kosher salted water for about 5 hours

kimchi ingredients.  Good stuff.

After cabbage has soaked, time to rinse and add other stuff

other stuff added

now add secret kimchi ingredients and stir

Them ain't pickles.  Set on counter for about a week. refrigerate and begin enjoying
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

I would tell you guys about the pickled wild mushrooms I picked up yesterday but I'm sure Rager will find something unsavory about that and I'm not in the mood to argue semantics. So instead I'll just post a generic picture of pickled mushrooms.

RAGER

Those look fantastic.  I find nothing unsavory about them.  Congrats, you win the internet. :o

Where did you get them?
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

I got a jar of Chanterelles and a jar of Slippery Jacks.

RAGER

Did these shitakes last week.  salted, brined, and packed in olive oil with some peppers and oregano.  Should be ready to try this weekend.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

^nice.

started live-culturing a big pile of serrano peppers for hot sauce recently. what a smell!
let's dispense the unpleasantries

ez

Pickled Red Onion Yucatan Style

Take half a kg or more of red onions, cut into thin rings, cover with boiling salted water and strain half a minute later, put into jar and add a brine consisting off 1 part orange juice, 1 part grapefruit juice, 1 part lime juice, 1 part white vinegar, add some whole pepper corns and some Mexican oregano and refrigerate. will keep up to three weeks in the fridge.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

MadJohnShaft

I think I get to use this in this thread too -  horseradish, one with beets:

Some days chickens, some days feathers