Indian food

Started by deleted account, May 30, 2012, 07:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted account

you ever make any?  I've made mushroom mattar and chile pakoras.  you can also give a shout out to your local restaurant, what the hell-- not much else to do in this forum seeing as RAGER won't even reveal the name of his place on his own goddamn blog cabin thread

Lumpy

I tried making some at home -- gave me the runs. I think it was the black mustard seeds (?) Sucks because I spent a bit of money on the array of spices needed.

If you're a vegetarian, I would imagine you're making daal all the time (red or yellow lentils)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

fucking awesome flavors. i make what's basically a spiced ghee for ethiopian stuff, but it's the same spices, and works the same way for indian stuff. melt down butter, throw onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek, some paprika, a touch of cayenne, let it all simmer a while, then strain out all the solids. cook down more onions in it before adding lentils before the water for cooking...good shit. i use it for the oil in other things, too. obviously, not vegan.

also, frying things rolled in spiced chickpea flour rules.

also, a shout-out to kathmandu in asheville. it's indian, nepalese, and tibetan, and pure awesome.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Dunedin

I've tried making yellow lentil dhal and came up with something that was pretty nice to eat but in no way resembled what you get in an Indian restaurant. Really good dhal is one of my favourite things to eat but it needs to be garlicy.

Indian food is massive in the UK but we're slowly coming around to the fact that the stuff that's been served up in most restaurants for the last 40 or so years is not what you'll get if you actually go to India.

To be fair the better restaurants have cottoned on to this and are now making their menus more authentic.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

deleted account

Quote from: khoomeizhi on May 30, 2012, 10:13:58 PM
fucking awesome flavors. i make what's basically a spiced ghee for ethiopian stuff, but it's the same spices, and works the same way for indian stuff. melt down butter, throw onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek, some paprika, a touch of cayenne, let it all simmer a while, then strain out all the solids. cook down more onions in it before adding lentils before the water for cooking...good shit. i use it for the oil in other things, too. obviously, not vegan.

also, frying things rolled in spiced chickpea flour rules.

also, a shout-out to kathmandu in asheville. it's indian, nepalese, and tibetan, and pure awesome.

so would that not work if you used oil instead of butter?

khoomeizhi

oh, probably. part of the awesome thing about ghee is that it keeps nearly forever, in those cases where you don't use it all the time. oil tends to go rancid over similar timeframes. but small batches, or real frequent use, don't see why not.

eugenicscum

I think they mean some kind of generalised north indian cuisine when they say Indian food abroad. The good thing living in a union like this is, there are almost 30 states and each state has its own signature cuisine going on. Most states have multiple cuisines too. It's a lot of variety, but I think it's best experienced when you're here in India.

khoomeizhi

in general, that's true, but many little mom-and-pop type restaurants stay specific to whatever region the folks are from. i've been to a few indian places in the states that are tamil, or all about kerala...most mainstream us indian places are def. mainly northern indian, though.

'best experienced in india' is a given, though.

deleted account

so what's the main difference between northern and southern?  different dishes or same dishes with a different spice mix? 

eugenicscum

Northies are wheat eaters and the southies are rice eaters. The north east is all oriental and they have their own cuisines going too.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

BitterAndTwisted

As a general rule, the further south you go the more veggie the cuisine and it's HOTTER.  Much, much hotter.
Fucking retards, taste my nuts while getting dunked on.