Electric Griddles

Started by bitter, December 11, 2012, 02:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

So my mom eluded the other day that she would like an elec. griddle. I figured it would make a nice x-mas gift. I've been wanting one for a while now as our range is kind of on the outs. This could potentially make cooking a variety of foods a lot easier. I have no prior understandings of these items and want to use this as a starting point for research.

I went over to America's Test Kitchen, but those liberal elitists want to charge you to look at their website. I was hoping they would give some insight into sizing considerations, user interface, what to look for, and what to avoid. I'd like to get something that's easy to store and of good quality (not necessarily high end though), yet not overly expensive because it may not get a lot of use. I don't know if the big box stores carry anything in that range.   

Any ideas or guidance?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

MadJohnShaft

What issue had that article ? I will go look
Some days chickens, some days feathers

mutantcolors

Dang old I got one I'll sells ya.

MadJohnShaft

I couldn't find the electric griddles review to put a picture of the page. I cleaned up that shelf in the Kitchen though, so thanks. 

bitter

I think they did an actual episode on it during season 4. Possibly called "The perfect pancake"; however, I'm not even sure if the content would be up to date at this point. That was Bush-era griddle technology.

yeezuz

i think she alluded to it, but that's just my opinion.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/23194-hamilton-beach-premiere-cookware-electric-skillet.html

i've had one like this for about 7 years or so, it's easy to carry around to parties and things. i use mine for a lot of Japansese food that is traditionally cooked and eaten family style (sukiyaki, okonomiyaki). i think i've used it once to make pan cakes. nothing fancy, so if she needs chef level quality, this isn't it.

rayinreverse

I have a pannini press that folds flat to be an electric griddle. I personally hate them, but my wife loves the thing for pancakes.

RAGER

I can't think of a reason to have an electric griddle.
No Focus Pocus

bitter

I'm just sick of mushy hashbrowns and greasy pancakes.

MadJohnShaft

We had an electric griddle and I used it only one time when I made homemade Norwegian Lefsa.  Delicious.  Frying anything on those makes a horrible mess. I suppose pancakes for large groups.  To tell you the truth I am not happy with waffles lately.

Maybe if you were camping with electricity.  Cabin rental places have those but not a usable frying pan so you would want one then.

I would like a hand blender or maybe some nice big mixing bowls and a call from my ungrateful son once in a while.   

khoomeizhi

Quote from: bitter on December 11, 2012, 08:33:43 PM
I'm just sick of mushy hashbrowns and greasy pancakes.

cook the hashbrowns hotter. put a bit of oil in the pancakes and then don't add any more to the pan. pancakes should have enough of their own oil that they don't need extra. i agree, they shouldn't be greasy.

not sure how an electric griddle would help either of these problems, unless your range is hopelessly fucked.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

bitter

I should clarify that I can make both items on the range fine, it's the person who wanted the griddle that has the problem.  :D

/mom can't cook

MadJohnShaft

Maybe you could get two and she can put them on the floor and dance around on them. Ooo... hot floor, hot floor.

bitter

Is that like an ethnic thing? Did you get that from your Russo-Serbian in-laws?

I'm not comfortable with that suggestion.

MadJohnShaft