Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

you could also contract salmonella..science.

Lumpy

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 21, 2011, 08:05:58 AM
Alton Browns buffalo wings recipe is super easy and will blow away anything you get at a restaurant. - 10 minutes of steaming, sit in the fridge for an hour, and 40 minutes in the oven and they turn out just like deep fried but even crispier.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/buffalo-wings-recipe/index.html

It's a family favorite - I don't know why they are so good, i'm thinking of trying a whole chicken this way, science.

Maybe because there's almost a whole stick of butter, for every twelve pieces of chicken? Butter makes everything taste good.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Lumpy on October 21, 2011, 11:17:22 PM
Alton Browns buffalo wings recipe is super easy and will blow away anything you get at a restaurant. - 10 minutes of steaming, sit in the fridge for an hour, and 40 minutes in the oven and they turn out just like deep fried but even crispier.

It's a family favorite - I don't know why they are so good, i'm thinking of trying a whole chicken this way, science.

Maybe because there's almost a whole stick of butter, for every twelve pieces of chicken? Butter makes everything taste good.

Also, Alton Brown's a mad genius.  Dude can make asparagus fascinating.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

I made a version of choucroute garnie the other night.  Turned out very nice.  Great for a stormy evening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choucroute_garnie
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

Quote from: Lumpy on October 21, 2011, 11:17:22 PM

Yeah they're slow fried in tons of saturated fat; of course they're delicious and heart attack inducing. Doing it that way is so much worse health wise than flash frying in super hot oil. All that butter fat just soaks into the boiled meat. When you deep fry the hot oil creates a crust right away so it doesn't have time to permeate the meat. 

BrianDamage

Except that the sauce with all the butter doesn't touch the wings until they are already baked and crispy. All buffalo wing sauce has a fuck ton of butter in it. That's why it's orange instead of red.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

demon gal

Not in this case. The recipe says to baste boiled chicken with butter for 20 minutes while roasting. That's 20 minutes of sitting in butter; those wings are soaked with fat. Because deep frying is hot and it's fast the water in the meat repels the oil therefore it stays on the outside. If you let the wings fry for 20 minutes all the water evaporates and the fat soaks right in. 

Any halfassed scientist farmer should know that.

RAGER

Bought a pound of fresh picked chanterelles from a roadside stand yesterday and made an awesome ragout.  over top of some crispy crusted bread and a couple chunks of this comte that is made in the hills of France where they only make 2 wheels a day ohmyfuggingawd it was good.
No Focus Pocus

peoplething

I picked up a cheap brinkman smoker last week and Saturday transformed a regular old 2.5lb pork roast into a smoked ham. Slow cooked/ smoked for about 7 hours using charcoal and apple wood chunks with some garlic, water and apple cider in the liquid pan. For the first time ever/learning experience, it came out pretty good.

If you've ever thought about picking up a smoker, this thing is pretty cool and was about 40 bucks at home depot. That price might be a regional thing though with winter coming up and all.

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=852-7006-0
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

demon gal

Quote from: peoplething on November 03, 2011, 08:04:01 AM
I picked up a cheap brinkman smoker last week and Saturday transformed a regular old 2.5lb pork roast into a smoked ham. Slow cooked/ smoked for about 7 hours using charcoal and apple wood chunks with some garlic, water and apple cider in the liquid pan. For the first time ever/learning experience, it came out pretty good.

If you've ever thought about picking up a smoker, this thing is pretty cool and was about 40 bucks at home depot. That price might be a regional thing though with winter coming up and all.

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=852-7006-0

That sounds mouth wateringly awesome.

I can't stand those sweet, baked hams but smoked is so delicious.

Isabellacat

I made some shrimp spaghetti last night. It was the bomb.

peoplething

I didn't brine it.

It was a Trader Joe's 'Seasoned Pork Roast' and already had quite a bit of salt in it. Plus, it was a learning experience, so I really didn't think about it.  I had originally thought to pull it, but found out to the next day the roast has to get to 195F; it took mine 7 hours to get to 165F. I'm pretty sure that's why it turned into a ham. I'm gonna try a couple of fryer chickens this weekend.  

DG, for the first time out of the gate, I was impressed at how tasty it came out. A few days ago I sauteed some green peppers, green onions, tomatoes, spinach and some of the ham/roast put that over some cheese ravioli. I thought that came out pretty good.  The next day I took the left over's into work, and the college kids that work for us came over when I was eating and were more-or-less drooling over how great it smelled.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

BrianDamage

Quote from: demon gal on November 02, 2011, 09:41:09 AM
Not in this case. The recipe says to baste boiled chicken with butter for 20 minutes while roasting. That's 20 minutes of sitting in butter; those wings are soaked with fat. Because deep frying is hot and it's fast the water in the meat repels the oil therefore it stays on the outside. If you let the wings fry for 20 minutes all the water evaporates and the fat soaks right in.  

Any halfassed scientist farmer should know that.

...you should probably re-read the recipe. There is nothing about basting the chicken in butter. The only butter is in the sauce.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

demon gal

hahaha I read roast as baste. Yeah sorry I'm blind and Polish.

demon gal

Anywho just made Oatmeal, Milk Chocolate Chip, Walnut cookies...and they're basted in butter.

Jor el

Them cookies don't look very dry.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Isabellacat

I'm an okay cook but I don't think I'll ever be as good a cook as my mom or grandma....they taught me how to cook since I was 7..... my grandma makes the best chicken soup.

RAGER

making a choucroute garnie again tonight.  Sauerkraut just gets batter with time. 

Tomorrow morning I'm starting a batch of kimchi.

Probably make my bread starter tomorrow too.
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

Quote from: demon gal on November 06, 2011, 05:20:49 PM
Anywho just made Oatmeal, Milk Chocolate Chip, Walnut cookies...and they're basted in butter.

Those look great.

khoomeizhi

rager, bless you and your fermentational ways. don't have any immediate kimchi plans (already a fair amount in the fridge)...but i'll probably do a purple kraut in the coming days. i've been doing a ferment with grated sunchokes that's pretty awesome. have a huge harvest of yacon this year, too, that i'll probably do some fermentation experimentation on...
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

I do love the pickled and fermented varieties of food.  Good luck on your culinary ventures.

here's the choucroute garnie I made last night.

No Focus Pocus

James1214

this was dinner last night

filet mingon wrapped in double cut applewood smoked bacon topped with gruyere, mashed potatoes and salad: baby greens, farmers market organic tomatoes, more gruyere and shaved turnip with a simple lemon juice, olive oil, basil and salt and pepper dressing. All in all it was a major win.

2011-11-06_20-11-59_111 by JamesHeaphy, on Flickr
words

BrianDamage

That salad looks like the best part of the meal. The rest of it looks good but that salad looks awesome. And this is coming from a fat dude.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

demon gal

Looks like James was saving the salad for dessert. Attaboy.  ;)

The whole plate looks delicious.