Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Shit Lumpy I missed your response.  No goddamn mayo on a cubano.  I was very proud of my cubano at the restaurant and would throw a fit if somebody wanted to sub mayo or add fucking lettuce greens or minus the pickles or add sauteed mushrooms and onions.  Fuck em!  Don't order a cubano then. :)
No Focus Pocus

black

Customer Service!

(no soup for you)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

Stay home and cook it yourself if you want it your way.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

did people attempt to order tots off the menu?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

Quote from: black aspirin on July 13, 2013, 04:05:30 PM
My chili.  Old pic, it's too hot to be eating chili right now.

4.5 pounds of ground chuck (chili grind)
1.5 pounds of breakfast sausage
2 qty. 10 oz. cans of beef broth
1 qty. 10 oz. can of chicken broth
12 oz. Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix
2 qty. 10 oz. (they might be 8 oz., can't remember) cans of Rotel tomatoes & green chiles (I like chunky, or you can use the spicy ones for more kick)
1-2 anaheim peppers, finely chopped
1 green, 1 red, and 1 orange/yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped

Seasoning:  If you want to make it simple, use 2 qty. '2 Alarm Chili' kits, usually in most grocery stores (skip the salt and the thickener).  I've started using one of those and then adding Gebhardt's chili powder, cumin, and cayenne red pepper to taste.  Hope to get a REAL custom seasoning going this season.

1.  Put the beef broth, chicken broth, Zing Zang, Rotel tomatoes & green chiles, anaheim peppers and the 1st half of the seasoning in a big, deep pan on the stove.  Bring almost to a boil.
2.  Brown the 1st half of the ground chuck in half-a-can of beer.  Add half of the onion, too.  Don't wait until it's actually brown, pull it when the meat is light grey.  It will continue to cook in the pot and be more tender that way.  Add that to the pot without draining.
3.  Brown the other half of the ground chuck in half-a-can of beer and onions.  Drain this time, and add to the pot.
4.  Brown the ground sausage.  Drain and add to the pot.
5.  Let simmer (it should be below boiling obviously, but not too far below...keep it pretty hot to cook and tenderize the meat).  I keep it covered most of the time.
6.  Cook about 2 hours or until meat is tender enough.  During that time, add the last half of the seasoning in little bits at a time and stir.
7.  Add the chopped bell peppers to the mix about 30 minutes before it's done, or even 15-20 minutes if you want them to have more crunch.
8.  At the end, season to taste with salt, add more heat, whatever.
9.  Before serving, add the juice of 2 limes to the pot and stir.

NO BEANS, YOU DON'T PUT BEANS IN CHILI!!!

You can put whatever the FUCK YOU WANT in chili. But if you put beans, you should not call it a texan chili because texan chili is beanless.

I make something close to this but I add a fuckload of beans, because they're fucking delicious. Hand-toasted anchos, chocolate, and chipotles are what make it.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tylers-texas-chili-recipe2-1943113

Why am I bumping this thread? Because I was searching for a bloody mary recipe and this was the first post that came up!

kokojones

Mai Tai

I stick very closely to the 1944 Trader Vic recipe, but I omit the 1/4 oz of rock candy syrup by increasing the orgeat syrup by 1/4 oz. 

1 oz Jamaican pot still rum
- Doctor Bird is my current favorite, although Smith & Cross, Appleton's 12yr, Or even Plantation's OFTD also work just fine. 

1 oz agricole-style rhum (AOC from Martinique)
- Rhum JM's or Clement's VSOP are perfect, but I also like the vegetal banana-blossom notes from an unaged/lightly-rested agricole like Niesson's blanc or even a good cachaça.  Sometimes I like to split the 1oz between one of these and Duquesne's élevé sous bois for the extra layer of flavors.

3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz orgeat syrup
1/2 oz orange liqueur
- Pierre Ferrand's dry curaçao is my go-to.  Cointreau can work, not my preferred.  Amaro Nonino also works really well.

Can add a few dashes of bitters. Using the spent lime hull as garnish adds a nice bitter note by the bottom of the glass.  There are premade tiki bitters on the shelf too.

Build in a shaker over a mountain of crushed ice.  shake until your hand sticks to the side, even a few shakes more if using higher proof rum like the Smith & Cross or the OFTD so you end up with the right dilution. 

Traditional garnish is a handful of lightly-smacked fresh mint and the spent lime hull.

These will get you drunk. 3 is usually the limit for me.

RAGER

Had countless mai tais on a sunny island recently
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Jor el

Whatever the number anyone could count less.

What Would Scooby Do ?

mortlock

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

This is grated egg yolk, Dijon, salt, pepper, Meyer lemon juice, and a touch of some nice sherry. Whisked together with some evoo it makes a nice base for a dressing.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

renfield

So you hard boil an egg, remove the yolk, and then grate it? i feel like it's so flakey it would just grumble

Looks absolutely delish, I want to make a spread out of it and eat it with some lox and rye bread or something.

RAGER

You push the yolk through a fine mesh sieve with a spoon. What basically made was a French mayonnaise but used cooked yolks instead of raw. This also a base for sauce gribiche which is so damn good over just about anything.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Now that you mention it, hard boiled eggs are something I believe I do rather well.

Look at these fluffy mothafuckin yolks, no green lining around em

Technique:
Start with the eggs in cold water. As soon as they come to a boil, lid 'em and remove from heat. Set the timer for 12 minutes for 1 egg + 20 seconds each per additional egg. Run under cold water to stop them from cooking, and walla!

Lumpy

renfield

it was a joke, like "monyafeek"  :(

Lumpy

peoplething

over the last few years I fine-tuned a few ham recipes. No, not the salt licks you buy at kroger. I use a 1-2lb center loin cut or chef's roast and brine it with salt, prague salt and brown suger plus whatever spices I want - 'German/Black Forest' style, Citrus, Maple, etc.

yes, 1lb flavored ham that will blow your socks off.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

RAGER

Oh man that would be dangerous.
No Focus Pocus

peoplething

contrary to popular belief, it really isn't. Injecting the meat with brine so the soak goes from four weeks to four days drops the chances of botulism to just about nil. That and the additive effects of 4C and no-bone, it's basically impossible.

having said that, I would never in a million years use wild hog for this.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator