Iron Man III

Started by SabbathJeff, May 04, 2013, 09:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltthrow

I thought the Mandarin was a funny (and unexpected) twist.  Then again, I don't know the character so I don't have any attachment to it.  If they'd played him straight, I'm sure he would've just ended up as snarly and mustache-twirly as virtually all villains do (like, Guy Pearce).

Overall the movie was fine.  Basically a vehicle for Robert Downey to mug and smirk.  The "being haunted by New York" was stupid.  Fairly amazing VFX though given the thousands of people credited why wouldn't it be amazing?

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: boltthrow on May 15, 2013, 11:13:46 AM
Overall the movie was fine.  Basically a vehicle for Robert Downey to mug and smirk.  The "being haunted by New York" was stupid.  Fairly amazing VFX though given the thousands of people credited why wouldn't it be amazing?
Ha! My girl made the same remark when we were waiting on the post credits scene. I should have become a VFX programmer, work guaranteed.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

boltthrow

There were a couple HUUUUUUUUGE blocks of solid names.  People in my theater laughed.  I wonder how many credits there are on that movie.

Lumpy

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on May 15, 2013, 11:24:07 AMI should have become a VFX programmer, work guaranteed.

Not really. Did you hear about how the effects artists on "Life of Pi" can't get paid? And effects companies are going out of business in droves.

/hijack
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

boltthrow

The VFX house that did Life Of Pi might've gone out of business because the owner was a horrible businessman.  I'm not sure that was the entire reason they went under but it didn't help.

Lumpy

VFX houses have been dropping like flies. It's not because the owners are bad businessmen. It's a very tumultuous business.

I don't want to bore everybody with a long list, but dozens of companies have folded in the past 10-15 years. No more Digital Domain, etc.

I was a Flame artist, and I have experienced the problems first-hand.

boltthrow

My ex-wife was the CFO at Rhythm and Hues.  John Hughes was a terrible businessman.

Lumpy

That's one place out of dozens.

Article here, with long list of defunct VFX houses at the bottom. Doesn't even include mixed-use "post houses" or pure editorial facilities, who have the same issues, and would make the list a mile long.
http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/vfx-at-a-crossroads

boltthrow

I never claimed knowledge of other houses, only R & H. 

Lumpy

Sorry, touchy subject for me. :(

Narco Pollo

Drug Chicken

gritty_fingers

Quote from: GodShifter on May 13, 2013, 09:52:14 AM

I totally hated the little kid genius angle. It was hackneyed and too sugary sweet.

I disagree. Tony Stark called the little kid a "pussy" and bossed him around all the time. I doubt Steven Spielburg would have the balls to have that in one of his movies.
"Ginger People"

I,Galactus

Quote from: gritty_fingers on May 18, 2013, 05:56:15 PM
Quote from: GodShifter on May 13, 2013, 09:52:14 AM

I totally hated the little kid genius angle. It was hackneyed and too sugary sweet.

I disagree. Tony Stark called the little kid a "pussy" and bossed him around all the time. I doubt Steven Spielburg would have the balls to have that in one of his movies.

Yeah, that pussy line was solid fucking gold.  Huge laughs at my showing, have no idea what may or may not have been said after.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

boltthrow

Yeah that may have been the biggest laugh in the film in my theater.  And though it ended up all "awww sweet' at the end (with an annoying product placement by Fios), I too thought the relationship between them was anything but saccharine.  They both busted balls which was nice.   

Marcos Reino

why did he blow up the armors in the end?

Marcos Reino

also, why would the armor melt so freaking easily this time? heated arm karate chop, bam, slice the suit in half... it was damn near impenetrable in the movies before this.

boltthrow

Nothing about the suits or the heat-beasts made a damn lick of sense by about halfway in. 

mortlock

ive downgraded this to a 1.5 out of 5 stars..

ez

As have the box office sales.

no wait...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mike IQ

Just saw it - liked it a lot. It was better than 2; the stakes felt higher, the villain(s) were more menacing, (rather than just other dudes in iron suits,) and there was a lot of RJD at his wittiest. I really enjoyed it.
"I want to throw down your kid and stomp on his testicles, and then you will know what it is like to experience waking up everyday as me. And only then will you feel my pain." - Mike Tyson

eoin_not_ian

I really liked one, didn't exactly care for II, liked III.