Favorite Hot Sauces

Started by The Shocker, October 01, 2011, 05:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I,Galactus

Quote from: James1214 on July 28, 2012, 07:51:54 PM
Quote from: I,Galactus on June 07, 2012, 09:48:07 PM
i picked up a jar of these just the other day, surprisingly spicy. i usually find mass market "spicy" to be on the mild side to me.

I swear as soon as I found out about these, every store in a five mile radius of me stopped stocking them.  >:(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

juggernaut

I've been on a big peruvian chicken kick lately.  They just opened up a new place 5 minutes from my house and it's awesome.  Now I don't have to drive like 25 minutes to get my fix.  Both places serve this green hot sauce called aji verde and it's the best thing ever.  I could eat it on anything and be happy. 

I'm doing some research and will try to make my own at some point.  Unfortunately it calls for some hard to find ingredient (huacatay leaves) so it might not be as easy as I thought.

Anyone else had this before?

Instant Dan

Got these two in the mail yesterday.

The heat on the first one is very upfront and lingers for a while, so you don't need a lot. Works well on everything I have put it on so far (tacos, chips, pizza).

The second one is hot but not over the top, price is a little steep but it for a first time try it's well worth it. Perfect for anyone who likes minimal ingredients and loves habaneros.

Lumpy

Quote from: juggernaut on August 07, 2012, 02:16:57 PM
I've been on a big peruvian chicken kick lately.  They just opened up a new place 5 minutes from my house and it's awesome.  Now I don't have to drive like 25 minutes to get my fix.  Both places serve this green hot sauce called aji verde and it's the best thing ever.  I could eat it on anything and be happy. 

I'm doing some research and will try to make my own at some point.  Unfortunately it calls for some hard to find ingredient (huacatay leaves) so it might not be as easy as I thought.

Anyone else had this before?

Yeah, it makes grilled chicken taste super-awesome. That one looks pretty thick, I've only had a soupier-looking version.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

RAGER

Just bought some of this stuff.  I'm a fan of Melindas already.  This stuff is a bit stupid hot though.  Ghost peppers.  eeeesh.

No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

just dug out a bottle of the last batch of sauce i made last year, last night. nice. live-cultured serranos (and a couple habs) & am. persimmons.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

That's sounds awesome.  I just tried a small batch of arbol sauce I made about a year ago with red wine vinegar.  didn;t like it so much at the time after aging about 2 months but I drained off some of the vinegar and it's pretty good now.

I don't make much hot sauce because I have a friend who owns property in Belize and brings me back Marie Sharps quite often and another friend who makes kind of a clone of the same.  That and with the Mexican types I love, that keeps me in hot sauce so I don't really have a need to do my own very often.  ya gotta let go somewhere I guess. :P  I do everything else myself pretty much.

/gluttonforpunishment
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

all my hot sauce making life is in search of the flavor of marie sharps green hab & nopale sauce, if i'm being honest. my one true hot sauce love.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Instant Dan

Melinda's and Marie' Sharp's Green Habanero rules.

MadJohnShaft

I bought a jar of Huacatay and didn't know what to do with it....

Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 01, 2013, 09:57:22 PM
I bought a jar of Huacatay and didn't know what to do with it....

"mint" ?? may I suggest throwing it away.

Lumpy

Don't waste it, throw it at a police car.

MadJohnShaft

I forgot mortlock is a moderator - that is the item you were asking about.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Quote from: khoomeizhi on May 01, 2013, 08:52:47 PM
all my hot sauce making life is in search of the flavor of marie sharps green hab & nopale sauce, if i'm being honest. my one true hot sauce love.

Another thing my buddy used to bring me back is Red Recado.  I figured out how to make it myself so I don't have him get it for me anymore, just the hot sauce.  here's a pic of the black version.  Same packaging.  They use this for "black dinner" in BZ.  Ever seen it.

No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

hot sauce and bacon are both kinda overhyped.

RAGER

I would have to disagree wholeheartedly :(  But hey.........
No Focus Pocus

black

Quote from: Chovie D on May 02, 2013, 02:03:10 PM
hot sauce and bacon are both kinda overhyped.

Yet both delicious.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

khoomeizhi

i don't worry about how popular things are, just how much i like them.

i totally remember the red stuff, i brought some of that back with me from bz.

RAGER

I kinda have a recipe if you like.  It's what I use.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

must have annatto in it...? yeah, i'm interested.

RAGER

Sorry not to get back to ya for a few days.  Here it is.  This is for 6 pounds of meat so yeah....figure out how much you'll need.

6 Tbls. annatto seeds
3 tsp. cumin seeds toasted
1 Tbls+ black peppercorns
10 whole allspice
3/4 tsp whole cloves

Grind all the above in coffee grinder

Now mix together; 1 cp orange juice,3/4 cp white vinegar,3 Tbls. kosher salt,10 garlic cloves (smashed), juice of 6 lemons.  Add some habaneros if you want some heat.

Process the annatto mixture and the juice mixture until smooth.

I use this pretty much for Puerco pibil, red recado pork chops, and red recado stewed chicken. 

Gonna do one of these soon so I'll take pics.  Prolly the chicken since I'm doing carnitas tomorrow for Gringo de Mayo.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

^still haven't made that, but am reminded now that i want to.

made the first batch of hot sauce of the season today. fermented 'hot cherry' peppers with tomatillo, last years' american persimmon from the freezer, roasted garlic, fresh garlic, onion, cape gooseberries/peruvian groundcherries, 'very old' apple cider vinegar, a bit more salt. tasty. not super-hot though...

next round will be a little hotter. more peppers like the yellow beast on top in this photo are starting to come ripe:

BrianDamage

I love Sriracha but my go to hot sauce is Tapatio. I put that shit on everything.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003