DIY show-n-tell thread no help needed(vs the other DIY need help thread)

Started by jibberish, January 02, 2016, 08:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

I know we have all been busy in our own crafty little ways.
So this is a dedicated "show what you cooked up" thread.
mods/hacks and everything else all the way to "from scratch"

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Teaching myself leatherworking.

Scalloped a fretboard for Lumpy.

Built an e-bike.

Recapped A sano

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: khoomeizhi on January 04, 2016, 05:44:08 PM
shit, i need to dig the pasta maker back out at some point.

Sing a song about it in the style of James Brown.

khoomeizhi

shit, i GOT-uh...
i GOT-uh...
i GOT-uh GOT-uh get the pasta...

needs more work. helps if you imagine a funky bassline.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RacerX

FETTU-cini!

What?

LING-uini!

Say what?

CAPPE-lini!

What's that?

MO-stacchioli, baby—Gimme dat pasta NOW—HIT IT!!!

bomp-bomp-bomp-bomp
bomp-bomp-bomp-bomp
bomp-bomp-bomp-bomp-BOMP!

HA!!

Livin' The Life.

jibberish

^ DIY song: bingo.     fun subject. I would maybe keep going and call it "The Glutenian Rhapsody" just so I could justify using the phrase "Oh Momma Mia" heh

I have an old guitar strap almost identical to that banjo dude's.  It's on the blackface tele.

sunno, way to step up to the plate swinging. I was wondering something: Is that cat pole made from a palmetto trunk? and if so, what is a palmetto trunk like to work with?
I basically only have hardwoods and fruitwoods to play with [...awwww shit...here we go...heh],   and that voodoo cedar wood.    I avoid pines/firs/spruce because that oozy resin is so nasty.

I need to dig out one of those old sony still cams before I attempt any more pics. this video cam is handy outside or in decent light, but I need a flash in the dungeon.
low light pics are full of noise and look like andy Warhol art.

VOLVO)))

The cat pole is actually a birch log I cut down, and added a big ass cast iron base to. If you look at the little poplar table base, I found three of those in the junk and have been trying to use them up.

It was already down on the ground, but fresh. CSX culled it, i just hacked it down with the axe I just hung. Super nice, old school Collins. Took a couple hours in vinegar to de-rust it, then i sharpened it, then hung it on a new hickory handle.

Soon to have this torn down.

Did some headlight restoration.

Swapped a clutch...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

She loves it, too. It was pretty fun to make, too.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

heh, finally got the oldest sony out. it has a power supply and the memory stick fits into the reader on the pc front so..igly but it will work
the newer old sony's battery dies about 30sec after turn on and the ac adapter was an extra option. cant even download without battery, so back in the junkpile with that one.

edit: images deleted

I challenged myself to design a guitar stand that could be built out of any random round stock like broom handles or pvc etc.
I found 2 sections of thin PVC out back half buried in the dirt.  some ants even came out of one piece when I was cutting it up

arbitrary dimensions and it worked. this used 8 pieces of stock and sits on a 20" by 15" footprint, just under 30" tall
the prototype here is just quickly bolted together. it could be cleaned up nicer yet for the next one, but the design is solid.
then I schlepped 2 more together out of sticks.  more random adventure heh

this shows pvc stand and the 2 diy wooden stands AND the funky strap on the tele

btw, these are my players: the 3 LP style guitars, then the 2 string thru's and the token whammy.
whammies have mushy strings so if I don't need some wham I don't use it

VOLVO)))

Made a lamp out of a dead turbo.

Made a nightstand out of an ammo crate and some legs i found at the junkyard.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

I like the turbo lamp. Cost me a total of zero dollars. Just stuff i had at the house mostly. Still leaks oil... Lol

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I made me a intergalactic/interdimensional crystal light emission device:

This will be used onstage as a prop during our new song, Send the Sky Down, attached to the headstock of my SG with a capo as I try desperately to signal my home planet.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Can't you just call New Jersey?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

jibberish

I finally finished the latches on my 9-guitar stand. found another piece of PVC and more screws and done..
it looks nicer leaning the guitars by offsetting the bottoms over one slot even tho that loses one Rackspace, but I decided that the bass just gets its own separate stand so no problem.
when it gets warmer, I will remove the foam and cloth/padding and paint it black.   i'll paint that PVC guitar stand too. plain PVC is pretty gross.

(removed image)

showdown

Nearly finished with this thinline. Pretty much done with the body, just waiting for the tru-oil on the neck to cure. Soldering iron, pickups and parts are in boxes somewhere after moving house, so I better go dig them up.

showdown

RacerX

Fucking beautiful! Which P-90s did you put in?

I'd have gone for the rosewood fretboard, but that's just me.
Livin' The Life.

showdown

Thanks! It's a pair of custom Zhangbucker P90s, 7.2K and 9.3K with mixed A2 and A5 magnets. I can't say how they sound yet, as I'll plug it in for the first time tonight, but based on the other Zhangs I have they should be amazing :)