DIY show-n-tell thread no help needed(vs the other DIY need help thread)

Started by jibberish, January 02, 2016, 08:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

beautiful piece of art showdown. finished wood is so magic. anything, even like pissy's bowl, nicely finished, is mesmerizing.
it does look very fender family.

why is the switch between the knobs?  have you played that arrangement?  my first thought is that I would knock the switch to bridge pup as I went for the tone.

I even like reverse tele plates for that same reason. I cant be watching for the switch when going for the tone/vol. the further out of the way, the better

showdown

Thanks!

The knob/switch arrangement was purely aesthetical, but I had no problems playing it. There's plenty of room between them and I rarely use the tone knob anyway. I prefer reverse Tele plates too, I like to keep the volume knob close.

I tried playing it with my band and full rig last night, and these P90s are the best I've EVER tried. Holy shit.

showdown

Aaaah what the hell, let's do another guitar. This is a spruce body I made before I started the Thinline. A coat or two more of antique white stain, then lacquer.

Corey Y

Nice Telemaster showdown, I like the blonde sort of look to the stain/lacquer combo. I still have an alder body blank some old barnwood to make a Tele or something else out of and I really want to do a milkpaint and oil finish on something, which is a similar sort of see the grain through the paint look.

Latest thing I made was this head cab for a spring reverb unit. All reclaimed cabinet grade plywood from shelving/racks I built onto an old recording desk I've had in storage for years. I'm still deciding whether or not to oil it, stain it, paint it or tolex it. I could do a rough blonde tolex to match the head I'm using it with, but that's a classic Fender style head, with the Oxblood grill cloth up front and all that. I went a different direction with this, mostly because I don't like the top/rear facing controls of the Fender '63 Reverb style enclosures and wanted to be able to easily access the controls and have the tank mounted to the bottom inside. Originally I was just going to prime it and spray paint if flat black, rat rod style, but now I'm not sure.

I also made a vinyl spring tank bag out of an old amp slip cover (not shown), with some cardboard and closed cell foam sandwiched together on the bottom inside under the tank. I can smack the cab as hard as possible and not so much as a wobble from the springs.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Corey Y on May 13, 2016, 02:24:28 PM
Nice Telemaster showdown, I like the blonde sort of look to the stain/lacquer combo. I still have an alder body blank some old barnwood to make a Tele or something else out of and I really want to do a milkpaint and oil finish on something, which is a similar sort of see the grain through the paint look.

Latest thing I made was this head cab for a spring reverb unit. All reclaimed cabinet grade plywood from shelving/racks I built onto an old recording desk I've had in storage for years. I'm still deciding whether or not to oil it, stain it, paint it or tolex it. I could do a rough blonde tolex to match the head I'm using it with, but that's a classic Fender style head, with the Oxblood grill cloth up front and all that. I went a different direction with this, mostly because I don't like the top/rear facing controls of the Fender '63 Reverb style enclosures and wanted to be able to easily access the controls and have the tank mounted to the bottom inside. Originally I was just going to prime it and spray paint if flat black, rat rod style, but now I'm not sure.

I also made a vinyl spring tank bag out of an old amp slip cover (not shown), with some cardboard and closed cell foam sandwiched together on the bottom inside under the tank. I can smack the cab as hard as possible and not so much as a wobble from the springs.

That would be a shame to paint that. It looks way too nice, I would stain it with a light stain.  Supper cool!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

showdown

Made a new scaled down pedalboard. The gigbag for my T-Rex board is shot and I needed something more solid that I can bring on a plane:

Just a piece of nice thick plywood I had around that fit the case I'm going to use. I put 6 rubber feet on for stability, and everything is ziptied since the velcro didn't stick to the plywood. The case was originally for a DJ mixer, but it was completely empty when I got it (for free!). I just had to replace the hinges.

I hot glued in some styrofoam and lined it with a cheap IKEA doormat:

I'm hoping it will hold up for the rest of the year :)

Danny G

Got a heavy duty Keal flight case for my Iceman, $75 from a friend.

Redid some of the inside to accommodate the weird body shape.

Doing a one-off in France this weekend with Bleu Edmondson!!! And both my Iceman cases are falling apart haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

About to build a bunch of cases:

Bass head case for a bandmate
Fender Combo case
New Marshall headcase
New pedal board
Small rack for wireless unit/power conditioner

Looking forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com