Soup

Started by Volume, February 01, 2012, 02:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volume

I love me some soup, especially in the fall and winter it really hits the spot. Here's a couple:

Saffron, bean, lentils, awesomeness soup w/ chorizo

Borscht soup

Some garlic and bread...

... make for a great garlic soup, served with a poached egg.

demon gal

Yummy. Those look great.

I was going to start a thread asking for soup recipes.

Last weekend I made a really good mushroom soup with taragon, brown and wild rice but have no pictures.

Jor el

My birthday has become Family Soup Day.
It's the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We have three or four homemade soups - the main being Turkey Sage.
What Would Scooby Do ?

demon gal

RAGER

I am the soup Nazi.

i would share recipes but I'd just leave something out so you couldn't replicate it.

Instead I'll just share some pics.  I'll see if I have some
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

soup is one of the good things in life. should be, anyway. soup and i get along very well.

usually do a big batch of some sort of turkey/grain/vegetable soup about once a week on turkey carcasses i score at work. i could post a recipe, but so much of what i use is weirdly esoteric or impossible to buy, and putting 'a small handful' of 30 different ingredients like that would make for a mess of a recipe. adding fresh shelled gingko seeds, for instance.

trying to make a dent at what we've got stored in the freezer a couple weeks ago, i made an experimental rabbit liver & miso soup that was truly awesome. shit tasted like magic, not liver.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Mr Neutron

i made a chicken enchilada soup last week. it was so tasty i ate it for 6 straight meals.
i think tomorrow i'm gonna make a black bean /  chorizo soup.

might make some bread for breadbowls, too.

soup is wonderful, but soup in breadbowls is livin'
"Where words fail, music speaks."

RAGER

Quote from: Mr Neutron on February 01, 2012, 08:29:20 PM
i made a chicken enchilada soup last week. it was so tasty i ate it for 6 straight meals.
i think tomorrow i'm gonna make a black bean /  chorizo soup.

might make some bread for breadbowls, too.

soup is wonderful, but soup in breadbowls is livin'

CANNONBALLS!!!
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

that bottom one looks massively scrump..

demon gal

Why do the Americans always make Ukrainian Borscht? Somebody make me some Polish Barszcz dammit!

Jor el

My mom used to make borscht.
I never cared for it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

demon gal

Polish Barszcz is my favoritest soup ever. I like it even more than dill pickle soup.  

black

I applauded volume for his soup, but mainly for dining on it while listening to Sasquatch III.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Volume

Quote from: demon gal on February 02, 2012, 03:34:00 PM
Why do the Americans always make Ukrainian Borscht? Somebody make me some Polish Barszcz dammit!

What's the difference? and I'm not American btw.

Quote from: black on February 02, 2012, 06:25:00 PM
I applauded volume for his soup, but mainly for dining on it while listening to Sasquatch III.

Yeah, it goes well with soup. ;)

demon gal

Quote from: Volume on February 03, 2012, 03:27:07 AM
Quote from: demon gal on February 02, 2012, 03:34:00 PM

What's the difference? and I'm not American btw.

The one you posted looks like the Ukrainian soup. It's creamy and has veggies in it. The Polish one is a strained, clear broth that you actually let sour for a few days before eating, usually served with little mini pierogi. Like the picture I posted. 

Instant Dan

Chicken Tortilla and Pho always do me in.

mortlock

one of the greatest soups i have ever tried came from a thai restaurant..it was a light broth with what appeared to be blades of grass in it..and a few other things i couldnt identify. i put a few dabs of this homemade hot sauce in it..awesome..

Lumpy

Pho is awesome. Like a symphony of flavors and textures if you add the hoisin, fresh squeezed lime, siracha, bay leaves, bean sprouts etc. (did I forget anything).

Laksam Aksa (malaysian) I tried this on the recommendation of Meshuggener, holy crap it's intense. Fish base (with funky, intense fish flavor, I think they must start with dried fish). At one place it was too much to handle (Taste Good in Elmhurst) but at Penang in Sunset Park it was a little milder and had more balance. I might have ordered the advanced Laksam Aksa the first time, it maybe was my mistake. They had a few different kinds at Taste Good.

The best soup I had recently was navy bean with smoked sausage, at a Polish restaurant. Very simple, not very dense, but it kicked ass.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

I'm making dill pickle soup straight away.
No Focus Pocus

Mr Neutron

got a big ole batch of chicken enchilada soup in the crock pot right now.

i love making soup.

khoomeizhi

got some kind of asian/caribbean chicken soup on...something very satisfying about pulling apart a carcass.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Mr Neutron

GodShifter

Damn, looks good Mr. Neutron. You even got the place setting right! Applauded.

mertz

Albondigas soup (Mexican meatball soup) is my specialty. Comfort food and fairly low calorie if you use ground turkey. Mmmmm.

demon gal

I applaud everyone who uses proper soup plates.