MEAT

Started by mutantcolors, April 13, 2012, 12:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

I'm finally getting brave enough to cook meat rare and it's like we've discovered something new.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

MichaelZodiac

I hate fancy burger places that cook the patty all the way through without asking how the customer wants it.

I remember when a rare rib-eye (2min each side in a extremely hot pan) opened up my eyes about beef.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

MadJohnShaft

I don't want pink hamburgers though

RAGER

You need to get over that.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

If you're going to get sick from eating food, ground beef is a typical culprit. "They" recommend not eating rare hamburgers now.

(you know who they are).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

medium to medium well is optimal. I usually don't go for a real thick burger in the first place.
if you use a thin 80/20 patty you get a lot of juice and flavor. impossible to undercook unless youre being a fuckface about the whole thing.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on March 25, 2014, 01:14:27 AM
If you're going to get sick from eating food, ground beef is a typical culprit. "They" recommend not eating rare hamburgers now.

(you know who they are).

I don't eat burgers very often just because there's so many other things out there but once in a while a burger is in order.  Your above comment is also why when I do get a burger it's one of the hoity toity types where they grind the meat fresh right there so it is not oxygenated for very long.  No chance for it to sit around.  Therefor on average I usually pay $12 plus for a burger.  The meat is local and possibly not even ever frozen and never shipped in from Iowa or some shit.  i would never go to some greasy spoon where they get their meat from Sysco and order a rare or even a medium burger.  That will up your chances of getting sick for sure.

Hey Morty, that first burger from Schallers looks like a damn sad burger.  That second one looks passable.

Can't post pics right now but here's a link to a burger I had recently.  This is a fucking burger.  The place is called Lardo. http://lardopdx.com/east.html

http://www.sallyjshim.com/blog/2011/6/9/eat-lardo.html

No Focus Pocus

black

I would worry about a review by someone named Jshim.
The name just sounds unsavory.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Lumpy

Mortlock's burgers look hand-formed. I'm not so sure about the XL bun, but they look good.

RAGER

Which ones weren't hand formed looking.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

The Sysco ones.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I will admit the schallers burger pic sucks. ill grab a pic myself soon. im due for a trip there. it is most def in the top 3 burgers in Rochester. the meat is actually ground round, hand formed. Rochester style, w/ meat hot sauce. the kind you use on a garbage plate. when ordered you need to say 'Ground on a hard roll' w/  'everything' [is mustard, onions, hot sauce.].

RAGER

Burger and fucking tots again.

No Focus Pocus

black

Since you seem to be more of a picture poster rather than a recipe poster, I have to ask;

Ground beef or bison or..?
Are you rocking a smoked Gouda cheese or Tillamook white cheddar (sharp? extra sharp?) or ..?
What's the deal with your tots? Hand shredded (if so what kind of potato?) or frozen or..?

/inquiringmind

RAGER

I'm sorry.  I know you've expressed these concerns before.  It's just that I get on here sporadically and don't always take the time to post the actual recipe.

1/2 pound grass fed beef.
These nice fluffy buns from New Seasons.  I really prefer brioche
Smoked bacon
muenster
slice of tomater
sauteed onions and cabbage.
A half sour cream half mayo horseradish sauce with chives and Old Bay seasoning.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I'd rub that burger all over my face.

black

Thanks RAGER!

I realize that something like that is probably a no brainer for most, but I'm always curious as to what goes in and stuff like specific ingredients and cooking times and such so's I can achieve maximum flavor action.

And I don't mean to be a bitch about that, but if I'm having Lumpy over for supper, I want to make sure the food is "Face Rubbin' Good".

deleted account

MadJohnShaft

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/santa_maria_tri-tip_steaks.html

Tri-tip roast is in order for the family forget together Sunday - the amazingribs website is the greatest resource ever (I like it most because they do experiments - don't soak woodchips, meat doesn't need to rest afterwards, slow cook first then sear last, etc)

Game changer.

black

Great site, especially for those with less knowledge in this realm (me).
Thanks!

MadJohnShaft

I was at the butcher shop and when I was checking out she mentioned they had a couple Mangalitsa pork chops left and they only sell them once a year at 4th of Juky.

They have a smallish disk of meat with thick fat. You are supposed to eat the fat and it's treasured for baking. These were wonderful with the part right next to the bone even better.

Before

After

They are a gourmet Hungarian pig that people are Gaga over. I found they were much better than regular grocery store pork chops but not astronomically better than the ones we get now from our CSA (which are equally fat layered and semi wild fed).

Pork!

After browning I roasted them on top of a pile of fingerling potatoes in a covered pan in the oven.  There was a half inch of fancy rendered pig fat that the potatoes cooked in - amazing!

mortlock

damn!! I can only imagine what the bacon from those things looks like..

Ryno

Quote from: RAGER on April 30, 2014, 05:24:16 PM
I'm sorry.  I know you've expressed these concerns before.  It's just that I get on here sporadically and don't always take the time to post the actual recipe.

1/2 pound grass fed beef.
These nice fluffy buns from New Seasons.  I really prefer brioche
Smoked bacon
muenster
slice of tomater
sauteed onions and cabbage.
A half sour cream half mayo h sauce with chives and Old Bay seasoning.

Everything about this is right on.
I might add some chopped NM green chile, but the  half sour cream half mayo h sauce with chives and Old Bay seasoning just made my day.

I am stealing.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

black

RAGER seems good with public domain-ing his recipes.
The green chile deal is a must and you might want to switch out the beef foe grass fed bison/buffalo. I'm nutty for that meat.