Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Started by VOLVO))), August 27, 2012, 10:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I think their quality must vary by location. The ones I've been to have been disappointing... the meat doesn't really taste like anything (typical for a lot of hamburgers). Unlimited condiments (I don't want them, I'm trying to taste the hamburger). The fries are good if you can get them out of the bag before they get steamed up. But a small fry is enough for two people (and costs 3 dollars). It's too many fries, I would rather pay half and get a true small.

I just don't find it to be worth 12-13 dollars for a double cheeseburger, fries, drink and tax. Wendy's is almost as good and a lot cheaper.

Damn, another negative post by Lumpy!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

I disagree with this motherfucker ^^^^
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I like this hamburger here by Shake Shack (they're starting to franchise 'em, theres about 8 so far?) Expensive like 5 Guys, but it really tastes like beef. I reaaallly tried to like 5 Guys, I've been there about 5 guys (times) or more. I just can't justify the price.

You know why they call it 5 Guys? Because it takes 5 guys to make a hamburger there. (I've heard they are a good company to work for, if you have to work in fast food, actually). I just don't think the hamburgers are that good.

GodShifter

I think I do kind of agree with Lumpy.

The burgers are of decent quality for a fast food joint, but really, they're no different than Mooyahs (which is a chain here, but not sure where else they are). But yeah, they're fresh and the toppings are of good quality, yet the burger itself isn't super spectacular (IMO).

The main draw for Five Guys, for me, is the fries which are very, very good. But that's my favorite style of french fry (straight cut or something?). There is nothing better than super hot, crunchy, delicious fries like that. But, unfortunately, they give you far too many, so I wind up wasting half of them.

When you walk out of a joint after paying over $10 for a burger and fries, you better feel like you got your moneys worth. Usually, I don't. Also, a minus is: no shakes or malts, but whatever on that one, I guess.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

I,Galactus

Only been to a couple but must have gotten lucky if the quality is as sporadic as y'all are saying.

There's a couple of local yokel burger joints that do it better, IMO, but 5 Guys or IN-N-OUT, if you're on the west coast (purists will probably jump down my throat on this but to me they're two sides of the same coin) is a damn good burger.  Also, their lack of milkshakes disturbs me.

I don't think they cost $12 around here, though.  Lumpy don't you live in NYC?  Doesn't everything cost $40 there?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

That's a chain right?  We got one of those downtown and I think there's one here by work too, but there's so many many alternatives....
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Demon Lung

We have this spot here called Jakes wayback burger. 5 guys ish but cheaper and better

Lumpy

It's like $6.85 for the double cheesburger, 2.75 for small fries, 1.75 for a drink? That's 11.35 then add 8% tax. 12 plus change.

If you live or visit NY, Philly or DC check out the Shake Shack, similar deal but the hamburger will surprise you with deliciousness, and they have great shakes/frozen custard. People in the original location stand in ridiculous lines to eat their food (but not all locations are crowded, pro tip. And when it cools off business slows down). And if you just want ice cream, you have a shorter line. For Sunn 0))) they have South Beach and Coral Gables (I know that doesn't help :( )

http://www.shakeshack.com/

yeezuz

all burger joints need to offer a turkey or a veggie patty or they suck.

back when i worked in Irving, a 5 Guys opened on one side of the street and an In N Out on the other side. they had to call the cops in the manage the traffic. i still haven't been to either one. may have to try Mooyah's based on GS suggestion. malts are good.

lowdaddy

shake shack is a danny myer joint.  the guy behind gramercy tavern, eleven madison park (though he's sold emp now), maialino, the modern, tabla, etc...so it should be pretty damned good.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

MadJohnShaft

There's a gourmet super burger counter place some brave young dude started up all by himself by the library, so I'll never go in a Five Guys without a gun pointed at me....

ez

Quote from: xina on August 27, 2012, 05:37:28 PM
all burger joints need to offer a turkey or a veggie patty or they suck.

no they don't. you're going there for a hamburger - not a healthy meal. it's like saying all health food stores should have a corner for candy bars and soft drinks.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bitter

I tried 5 guys one time and didn't like it much. Must depend on the locale. I will say that having it brought home as opposed to eating at the restaurant may have hurt things, but the fries weren't crispy and tasted pretty bland. The bacon burgers were greasy and had no flavor. Kind of truck stop quality at best imo.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

mortlock

the best burgers in the world are at vic and irvs.

mortlock

did i forget to mention the onion rings?? look at those hand tossed badboys..

Demon Lung

Quote from: bitter on August 28, 2012, 05:18:27 PM
I tried 5 guys one time and didn't like it much. Must depend on the locale. I will say that having it brought home as opposed to eating at the restaurant may have hurt things, but the fries weren't crispy and tasted pretty bland. The bacon burgers were greasy and had no flavor. Kind of truck stop quality at best imo.
which truck stop have you been to that has a better burger than 5 guys?Because I don't like 5 guys and I've been to most truck stops and I'll Tell you from first hand that everything at 5 guys is better than everything at flying j.

whoshotthefrog

I know a lot of people who rave about their fires, but i think they suck. Well, at least the schmucks who work at the one near me always do something to make the fries taste like shit.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

MadJohnShaft

deleted account

never heard of 5 Guys but a former boss of mine was a manager at In-N-Out and he said the reason the fries aren't crispy is that they fry 'em from fresh, not frozen.

surely RAGER can attest

OR50

Love Five Guys Burgers! I go there every Friday night after work.

James1214

Quote from: priest on August 30, 2012, 12:51:59 PM
never heard of 5 Guys but a former boss of mine was a manager at In-N-Out and he said the reason the fries aren't crispy is that they fry 'em from fresh, not frozen.

surely RAGER can attest

this, as the reason why they aren't crispy is not entirely true. in n out does a single stage fry however to make fries super crispy you need to par-boil or par-fry them. essentially precooking them in a lower temp oil, letting them come to room temp then crisping up in hotter oil, the frozen fries have been par-fried already so they get super crispy. it is totally possible to ask the in n outers to make you "well done" fries, they take some of the ones out of the tray that have cooled a bit and throw them back in the oil.... and they're awesome.
words

Sundholm

Quote from: James1214 on August 30, 2012, 08:43:08 PM
Quote from: priest on August 30, 2012, 12:51:59 PM

surely RAGER can attest

this, as the reason why they aren't crispy is not entirely true. in n out does a single stage fry however to make fries super crispy you need to par-boil or par-fry them. essentially precooking them in a lower temp oil, letting them come to room temp then crisping up in hotter oil, the frozen fries have been par-fried already so they get super crispy. it is totally possible to ask the in n outers to make you "well done" fries, they take some of the ones out of the tray that have cooled a bit and throw them back in the oil.... and they're awesome.

This.

Also, Five Guys has alway been underwhelming to me.

mortlock

not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you got a peanut allergy, you better not be in the same parking lot with a 5 guys..