The Pro Co Rat, why is it so popular?

Started by Instant Dan, March 16, 2011, 07:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

No shit? I hate the high overtones on the swollen pickle.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

I almost got a Swollen Pickle but decided to go with a Ronsound '75 Hairpie AKA Ram Head Big Muff, with a 3-way mid switch. Looking at the Hoof Fuzz and Stomp Under Foot Pumpkin Pi next.

Still need to try out a Rat though, with the LM308 chip, to see how it sounds.

Jake

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 31, 2011, 12:24:28 AM
No shit? I hate the high overtones on the swollen pickle.

I changed the interior settings from whatever the factory's were and, viola!, a great sounding fuzz. Put it in front on my JCM800 and get a tone that can stop gravity. No shit.

Sounds better (in my setup) than my:
NYC Muff
Black Muff
FZ-2
HM-2
DS-1
Rat
French Toast
Fulltone GT-500
poop.

Eyehatehippies

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 16, 2011, 07:24:48 PM
Apologize for the n00b question.

I have honestly only heard a few guys using it, Nick from Elder, Black Pyramid, Buzzo, and Sunn. I guess what makes it lusted after over, IE, a big muff or fuzzface?

Actually, I have two of them, an 80's one that's beat to fuck, and a 90's one that is beat to fuck, but I never use either.  I don't even know where they are at this point.

I was here, but I disappare.

Wesogkan

Quote from: Chovie D on March 30, 2011, 01:34:28 PM
dont mod a vintage 80's rat. just...please....dont. :'(

Its not that they are super precious, but as you saw they do command some $ on ebay. and really, an 80s rat needs nothing done to it unless you cannot live without an led. your basically just borking up one more vintage peice and removing it from the market. IN a few more years the vintage pedals will even be worth MUCH more provided they havent been given the "Full Monty Mod" or some other horseshit.

Ok, I've taken your objections into consideration and thought it over. I'll probably leave the RAT alone, but may mod the MT-2, I have 2 of those in case I don't like it. And I'm really eying tearing apart my Crybaby wah and rebuilding it custom...not that I use it.

VOLVO)))

I want to replace my hm-2 with a rat. Hm-2 gets totally lost with a second guitarist.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Quote from: Wesogkan on March 31, 2011, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on March 30, 2011, 01:34:28 PM
dont mod a vintage 80's rat. just...please....dont. :'(

Its not that they are super precious, but as you saw they do command some $ on ebay. and really, an 80s rat needs nothing done to it unless you cannot live without an led. your basically just borking up one more vintage peice and removing it from the market. IN a few more years the vintage pedals will even be worth MUCH more provided they havent been given the "Full Monty Mod" or some other horseshit.

Ok, I've taken your objections into consideration and thought it over. I'll probably leave the RAT alone, but may mod the MT-2, I have 2 of those in case I don't like it. And I'm really eying tearing apart my Crybaby wah and rebuilding it custom...not that I use it.

hell yeah, mod the MT2. I bought one of those and a digitech grunge pedal for 20$ for both
feel free to mod the crybaby too, those are stil cheap, plentiful and can actually use the mods.
I juts se no reason to eff with an 80's rat.

regarding the swollen pickle convo above. i have one, its pretty felxible and versatile as is without the interiror trim pots, but I'll have to give em a try Jake. nothing to loose, cheers