Stupid Broken Band Survey

Started by Hemisaurus, April 02, 2011, 10:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesogkan

I'm thinking Sweden looks pretty good right about now...If I'm not playing shows and recording by this fall I'm outta here. Not sure where yet, but I'm not wasting any more of my time here.

justinhedrick

Quote from: giantchris on April 05, 2011, 01:44:25 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 04, 2011, 05:44:31 PM
Quote from: Wesogkan on April 04, 2011, 03:42:52 PM
A change of scenery is definitely in order...but how many 2BR apartments in Brooklyn have hardwood floors and a big backyard for $800/month or less? And I can't legally grow pot in NY, major bummer there.
Shit, I pay less than that for my house, houses in rural IL are stupid cheap, like under $30K for 3 bedroom with space. Mine has this for a jam space.

Then again, there's nobody to play with, unless you like piss-poor coverbands, all the bars want to book, all the people want to hear :(
Yeah rural IL is crazy cheap.  I'll say this though the people down there are awfully nice.  My great aunt just passed away down in Ziegler IL and no one wants her house I've been debating whether to move down there and get a job in Marion or Carbondale.  I think the house is valued at like 15k or something and its a 2 bedroom.  The Shawnee national forest is absolutely badass for hiking too.

yeah, i live by champaign urbana (home to the University of Illinois). stuff up here isn't AS cheap as that, but it is definetly cheaper than places like chicago, indy, and so forth. a 3 bedroom house up here in town is going to cost you a minimum of $100k for a 1100 square foot place (still NOT a bad price).

houses in the country are so much more because farmland up here is expensive as shit. my wife/i actually rent our house off my brother (it's a 100 year old farm house, rickity as hell) but we get it for a stupid cheap price, but the utilities are $300 a month on it. but, i'm never at a loss for people to play with, just a short drive to champaign (half hour).

Discö Rice

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 07, 2011, 12:39:22 PM
I'm thinking Sweden looks pretty good right about now...If I'm not playing shows and recording by this fall I'm outta here. Not sure where yet, but I'm not wasting any more of my time here.
Sweden's an excellent choice.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 06, 2011, 11:45:24 PM
I got stiffed at band (other band) practice tonight, no one else showed up. I feel a total meltdown coming on...

Get the lineup settled, then rent a room IMO. Not vice-versa. Same thing happened to me, I was paying and the freeloader would call in sick, or show up and act bored, or be drunk. Rent hourly instead. Everybody pays at the same time. You're not on the hook for monthly. Write songs at home.

Or move to Sweden, or Brooklyn.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

In Sweden, you'll have to compete with big-breasted blondes, for the beardos.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

tossom

I am a bit down in the dumps just now, and realise it is partly my own fault  :'(

My band has dissolved, the drummer and the bassist have both finally said they are too busy with other projects so can't commit to this band anymore.  This comes after 2 months of constantly being fobbed off via text messages with excuses of varying degrees of credability.

I had a knee operation in November, so didnt practice at all until January - last practice we had was in Jan so can only assume they had lost interest by then.  Shame, as we were starting to sound really good and from the 1 gig we did we got most postitive reactions.  Still, I am grateful they asked me to join the band in the first place and really enjoyed all that did happen - have a hunger to play live again now. 

That was the first band I had played in since I was 18, and the first ever as a lead vocalist.  A few people have told they think I have a pretty decent voice, which came as a surprise as I never considered myself a singer at all in the past.

Trouble is, I live in a group of islands off the north coast of Scotland with a population of abour 20,000 so finding other people to play with is going to be near impossible.  Still, the other guitarist in the band is keen on keeping writing stuff until we find people - just kinda feel this will be me back to being a drunk on a saturday night, pod and headphones guitarist :(

Bitch moan over!
"Beige rock"

Hemisaurus

Whereabouts was the gig? I have memories of Skye Gathering Hall back in the nineties. Tennents Lager tour.

spookstrickland

We need to create "Stoneropolis"

We should pick a city in the USA for all Stoner Rockers who are with out bands to migrate towards.  We could create a Super Stoner Scene with a huge Stoner Festival every year!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Wesogkan

Quote from: spookstrickland on April 07, 2011, 08:00:17 PM

We should pick a city in the USA for all Stoner Rockers who are with out bands to migrate towards.  We could create a Super Stoner Scene with a huge Stoner Festival every year!

I like this idea...in a state where you can grow pot and live in the woods.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 08, 2011, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on April 07, 2011, 08:00:17 PM

I like this idea...in a state where you can grow pot and live in the woods.
how about oregon?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Certainly has the right kind of weather.

spookstrickland

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 07, 2011, 11:22:24 PM
SPOOK FOR MAYOR!

Thanks ;D

I say everyone start converging on the Columbia Rive Gorge Area.  Between Washington and Oregon.  Everything that a Stoner Rocker could want.  We could have a huge out door festival up in Hood River!  We would have several Large Population centers all with in easy driving distance too!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Wesogkan

SpaceTrucker

Bassist Without band, Though not really looking.

What is the etiquette for a bassist without a drivers license? Expect them to pick me up. or Just end up hearing a "nah, we found someone else".

Once I get a real job (construction is slim pick in's) I'm thinking about renting a space (there is a rent place  I could walk too) and then going from there. I would love a place Where I could kick it and play loud at all hours. Then find a drummer.(Fuck it If I play music I'm  gonna play what I want.) A guitarist could join up. I'll handle the vocals and bass parts If that means I have to use a looper. But I don't think I'll need too. I can woodshed like that. It would be like Budgie/Blue Cheer/Pure Ass kickin' Music.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, having your own practice space is about the best way to get over the no transport hurdle, one band I was in the drummer had no license, so we just jammed at his place, it got real painful when we had to jam elsewhere, picking him up, driving back to our spot, running him home again, and driving back again.

I'd suggest if it's feasible, maybe cycling, with your bass in a gig bag? Mine sits pretty comfy with a 5 string in it, leave your rig at the practice space, or maybe use whatever is there.

SpaceTrucker

^Dude I Got a t 40.  ??? Must figure something else out...

Heard a drummer and what sounded like a keyboard(or something) jamming today. It has been pouring rain all day or I would have went out looking for em.(I'll call it my "Passion" for music) Gonna find em next time. See if they need a bass player or guitar or singer(fuck it, I'll give it a shot).

Wesogkan

Sweet fuckin' Sasquatch I might've found a drummer...dude is only 23 but who cares, he had one of my songs down in 5 minutes. Now for the elusive third member...

hayseed

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 16, 2011, 08:43:44 PM
Sweet fuckin' Sasquatch I might've found a drummer...dude is only 23 but who cares, he had one of my songs down in 5 minutes. Now for the elusive third member...

Age does not matter. We are mid 30's and our drummer is ALMOST 18 and graduating high school soon! BUT he he fuckin' rips and has 10x the musical knowledge our last drummer had(who was the same age and had a degree in percussion). The love of great music transcends age differences.

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

beardofcthulhu

Any time you see a kid in a Suffocation shirt, it's a good thing.  Sammy Destroyer was the best choice for us, Hayseed.  I hope he doesn't go and ruin his life by going off to college....
Peace through volume.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on April 16, 2011, 06:38:42 PM
^Dude I Got a t 40.  ??? Must figure something else out...

Heard a drummer and what sounded like a keyboard(or something) jamming today. It has been pouring rain all day or I would have went out looking for em.(I'll call it my "Passion" for music) Gonna find em next time. See if they need a bass player or guitar or singer(fuck it, I'll give it a shot).
C'mon my bass is a tad over 13 lbs, it's not bad.

mortlock

Hemisaurus

$15 Planet Waves strap. http://store.daddario.com/category/154819/Polypropylene_WideBass_Strap

Keep moving about during the show, don't stand like an ice sculpture.

hayseed

The T40's aren't so bad. They are a little heavy but evenly balanced. Try out a Thunderbird for horrible weight and no balance... traded mine for a Pbass after owning it for a very short time.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC