DIY CD/Tape pressing/printing

Started by justinhedrick, June 09, 2011, 12:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: jibberish on November 02, 2013, 10:13:01 PM
you put your CD on a spindle. let's say a drill mounted in a vise with something chucked to hold a CD like a turntable holds an album.
this particular drill has a locking trigger so it can be set to some ideal speed, hands off. you plug drill into a switchable power strip.

Hard part would be keeping the paint on the right side of the CD. Guess prepare for losses.

jibberish

awww, have faith in centripetal force.  I see no reason paint would get underneath when it is heading in an outward direction, but I haven't thought it through obviously.

regardless, this would have to be tried firt before pooh poohing it. use old AOL spam disks to perfect your methods 8D.

also, CD's burn from the inside outward, so usually there is a huge dead ring in the outer printable area in case of a slight creep over the edge

jibberish

I wonder if you can clear-coat real thin stuff onto a CD, like a pot leaf , or maybe some like gold foil or some pretty metallic idk...I still want to cast a nasty spider in clear resin , the size of a humbucker and side light it with LED's and a hearing aid battery.

edit: haha, clearcoat a fucking rolling paper onto the CD

liquidsmoke

Another issue is playing 65 beats per minute clean vocal doom metal for crowds who have maybe heard an album or two by Candlemass or Pentagram or Trouble or Saint Vitus or Crowbar or Cathedral but mostly like Metallica, Motorhead, Misfits, Social Distortion, Turbo Negro, whatever and wonder why you are paying so slow.

I fully agree on CDs needing help these days and that they should look as special/unique/pro/etc as possible and that having music available for digital download is essential.

Every city, even small cities, have those weirdo dudes who are obsessed with sounds that very few of the locals are into though. You've just got to own it and follow your passion even when you clear half the room by your second song most gigs.

I'm thinking out loud half drunk.

jibberish

I was thinking about all the things to do to CD's and then it dawned....
I could grab a stack of blanks and mess a few up in the name of science, and who doesn't love an excuse to spray paint shit.
this crap is already bought so all R&D is free.   

black spray paint is number one experiment. i'll try various types on both plain cdr's and also some of those pre-white coated ones.
I found cheap ass primer, flat rustoleum, gloss rustoleum and krylon. and some bbq hi temp haha. wtf..if it has pressure(old looking can) i'll give it a whirl.

I will be looking for issues regarding finish/will-paint-stick-to-CD-integrity, and whether it fucks up the CD's performance.

experiment #2 is with a can of spray clear I found. I am going to try and lay down a coat and stick something super thin on the tacky coat, then bury it under a couple more coats.
I have felt some commercial CD's that have such thick ink/paint on them, they have some texture to them. I don't believe the CD player cares up to a certain thickness(which I kind of think I need to know that spec but I don't at this time)

I don't have any pretty colors of liquid right now to try the spinning crap. I think hand lettering in silver ink would be boss on a flat black background.  I want to look into stencil concepts, like maybe carefully make pinhole words like how old school street construction arrows or lite-brite used to work heh. then spray paint through those or maybe brush through them idk.

if you ever built models, decals would work like a champ, then spray clear over them.   Nazi warplane decals=doom

also, I want to try scratching through a top-coat/base-coat setup using a pin or something as a writing stylus. then no ink or itsy pieces parts to dick with.

cut out magazine letters are about as creepy as clowns are. maybe raid a white pages or a bible for that text on onion skin type paper haha.

so, if anything happens it will be black paint since that seems like it would be important to be able to have that as a stable base to decorate further.

liquidsmoke

I'm pretty sure my copy of Pallbearer's demo still plays and it was a custom spray painted job so it can be done but it's a fumey mess. I just have zero interest in that approach at this point. I'm thinking labels(if someone will print them cheap for us although I'm not huge on the idea), a rubber stamp, or go pro.

jibberish

wait a minute.  how many CD's would you be making? 100? 1000? 25?
i'll spray paint a pile of CD's for you, I don't give a shit. I love spray painting. if I can just paint unburnt blanks, heh no problem. we are getting a 65 degree blast here soon. ez2 paint. I don't spray paint or mess with solvents in the house. I breathe that air and also marine life really does not appreciate alien chemistry in its water

also, I really don't recommend labels/stickers. those are good for labeling data backups on data tapes and CDR's.  they do not last well through constant handling. a little stint in the crazy temp humidity swings in a car can shorten adhesive's life.  a loose sticker inside a CD player isn't pretty. think back to homemade cassette days. those stickers never lasted all that long, especially when the tapes were used in the car.

I suggest to get back to the important thing: the CD art design.   fuck all these details. where there's a will, there's a way.

OH. BTW!  I keep mentioning the spider clear cast in resin as a rreplacement for a missing humbucker, well I may have an alternative to a spider , which is a really random occurrence. But fuck if I didn't waste the last 2 mambo wolf spiders that showed up in the house so this getting a spider business isn't going well.

I was over talking to my neighbor, and he says "check this out".  up in a tulip tree about 12ft above the driveway is a big hornet's nest. except these are some kind of massive Asian mutant hornets. tres badass looking.   I can take a bee sting but I don't know about those.  and hornets/wasps can just keep jabbing you semi automatic style. those are big = big poison reservoir..... SO    he is going to take it down this winter. this means he will have a nest full of mint condition frozen mambo hornets for me to cast in clear resin.

then I was thinking, a yellow LED would make those things just pop with color. the yellow is very bright on them.

jibberish

I am also going to run the concept of custom art on limited run music media past my sister(the sharp business owner one who is a freelance artist by trade).  she and my mom were more in cahoots and between them I believe they have seen about every art media in existence.  FURTHERMORE, my niece's husband was the mgr of an art supply store in cowtown before they moved to madjohnshaftland. those two will have a lot of answers, and I plan on going to their little TG dinner so I will see them both at the same time.

true art industry people will have way better big picture than music dorks do(that would be us)

what if we invented a whole package/art system for usb memory sticks or who knows until you start putting heads together and slinging mud at the walls. or some combo media like an android app and a memory stick and rollup poster..hahaha. now there's some album art.   memory sticks are 3D. whole nother world of 3D art doodads opens up. watch fob/keychain art on stick itself or wallet chain "charms"  <--jared the fagmo jeweler runs these dumb women into a feeding frenzy because they HAVE to get the whole blahblah charm collection. starter chain with 1 charm ONLY $199 hurry while supplies last. "         right here buddy: ..|., but I am more that willing to steal your ideas.

also, if you just want me to stfu and butt out. I can do that too. heh.

liquidsmoke

We were talking about doing maybe 40-50 to start off. Thanks for the offer to help spray paint but I think we'll probably go the stamp route unless we get some help with labels although like you said the sticker label idea isn't the best.

That memory stick idea is all yours, go for it man.

jibberish

haha. i'm not releasing any albums.   just brainstorming. this is free fun for me. 99% ends up on the cutting room floor, but I walk away with an idea I will do next year: silver sprayed orb web that I put a flat black CD through. already envisioning a rig to hold the CD like on a stick.

also, I have watched spiders in operation. they will diligently rebuild their web every night. so you could have a crew that you just make the rounds on and steal their webs at first light every morning.

of course murphy lays down the law by making sure the spiders are done for the season 1 week before I come up with the idea.

spray painted orb webs put onto velvet for regular wall art is spectacular. a banana spider web from florida on a huge velvet canvas would be the shit.  those damn webs have enough tensile strength to catch a runaway jet on an aircraft carrier..i still shudder thinking about when I walked through one....fuck....

edit: hey sunno, what if you tried taking an old t shirt and stretching it out on a rack-like device so you can hit a spray painted web nice and flat. I don't want to wait until next summer to try this waaaah.
I bet a brown shirt with a gold web would be outstanding. especially displayed next to the black one with the silver and the midnight blue one with the copper.....

sunno has a special income potential: tourists.

what if you could make a spider web t-shirt then for the royal icing on the cake, have a banana spider cast in resin necklace chain thing ( of course a chain that matches the web paint color) 

or even better would be a small black widow cast in clear resin, then sewed into the shirt.

any spider people would bust you immediately since widows are not orb web weavers, but 99.99% of everyone wouldn't make the connection heh. black widows just reek of "bad muther fucker" their shape, their jet blackness, like suck the shit right back out of a black hole blackness. oh yeah.