recommend me some pedals

Started by strangelight, July 28, 2011, 07:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

The Meathead is overpriced and almost imposible to find.  I've played it, it's pretty cool but not any louder than the Devi Ever pedals and those small ones are priced to sell.

I have the Torn's Peaker-$99

Hyperion-$99

And if you want to drop some money..
Silver Rose, made special order for Billy Corgan
$375

She's giving away a custom Hyperion fuzz...
http://forum.deviever.com/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=13304
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

^^ Probably a good idea to get a few different flavors of less spendy fuzz... a Fuzz Face variant, Superfuzz variant, Rat variant, you already have the Big Muff, maybe an octave fuzz, etc. One pedal is probably not going to satisfy all your fuzz needs. It's nice to have variety. If you can buy used, your money goes further. An inexpensive octave fuzz is the Danelectro French Toast (about 35 dollars). The Guyatone TZ2 "The Fuzz" is a good inexpensive Superfuzz clone (about 50-60 dollars). At some point you might start specializing in  high end pedals of a specific flavor but you probably won't regret having some other pedals around, just like you probably don't regret having your Big Muff around, even if you don't use it all the time.

How come you're not already in a band? Maybe when school is finished?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Instant Dan

I traded my Ram Head Muff clone for a DAM Meathead clone some guy had. I honestly can't tell the difference between the real one my friend has and mine. I guess what I am saying is, don't waste over $400 on one.

If you're still looking at a fuzz face pedal, I reccommend Oxfuzz
http://oxfuzz.com/Site/Home.html

strangelight

Quote from: Lumpy on July 30, 2011, 02:11:18 PMHow come you're not already in a band? Maybe when school is finished?

eh, i don't really have any desire to play for other people. and i don't currently have any musician friends that don't listen to/play utter shit.

strangelight

Quote from: Lumpy on July 30, 2011, 02:11:18 PM
^^ Probably a good idea to get a few different flavors of less spendy fuzz... a Fuzz Face variant, Superfuzz variant, Rat variant, you already have the Big Muff, maybe an octave fuzz, etc. One pedal is probably not going to satisfy all your fuzz needs. It's nice to have variety. If you can buy used, your money goes further. An inexpensive octave fuzz is the Danelectro French Toast (about 35 dollars). The Guyatone TZ2 "The Fuzz" is a good inexpensive Superfuzz clone (about 50-60 dollars). At some point you might start specializing in  high end pedals of a specific flavor but you probably won't regret having some other pedals around, just like you probably don't regret having your Big Muff around, even if you don't use it all the time.

hmmm... this sounds like a good idea. i'm willing to blow up to $400 on pedals, so i could get a bunch of cheapies or one kinda pricey one and a few cheapies. i can't really do much until i'm back in the states and can try this stuff out, so i'll throw some of these on the list.

at the moment, i've got my eye on a boss OC-2 on ebay. two dudes are already fighting over it but there's only 3 hours left and it's still at $28. i figure if i can get it for under $50... unless one of you gentlemen tells me this is a terrible pedal before then.  ;D

Lumpy

The OC-2 is cool, if you have a use for it (it's not a fuzz, just a low octave). I don't think anybody here would suggest *not* spending money on pedals ;)

strangelight

i was gonna get the octave and a fuzz, rather than an octave fuzz.

my monies are rapidly disappearing. i'm also grabbing some new cans and a mackie onyx blackjack.

Lumpy

Octave fuzzes are usually octave-up (a few can do both... the "Octron" I think does both) but mostly octave-up. Think Hendrix solos (hear it best playing above the 12th fret) and the octave-up is kinda subtle. The OC-2 is a for-real octave-down, watch those speakers, hey-that's-an-additional-octave, where's the bass player hiding, burly beef-maker. It can do 1 octave down and 2-down (ulp) but it's all blendable. If you want instant bass player, or some crazy thickness, it's cool. For octave up & down (no fuzz) I think the Electro Harmonix POG (poly octave generator) maybe?

"Talk nerdy to me"

strangelight

i knew the oc-2 was 1 and 2 octaves down, but i didn't know an octave fuzz was an octave up. whatever, just bought it.  8)

crappy part is it's gonna be delivered while i'm still out of the country. should fit in my mailbox though.

VOLVO)))

The POG actually generates it's on wooly distortion. If you go watch that video in the "Deaner's lucite LP" thread, you can hear it a little bit, with my shitty playing.

I love that pedal.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Those POG's are wicked.  The Micro POG is a good choice, I had the Boss OC-2 and it was ok, but it doesn't track as nice as the POG's.  The French Toast is a killer grab too. 

strangelight

micro pog looks cool. i'm gonna test it when i get back to the states. and the french toast seems neato too, although i've always been worried about the construction on danelectro pedals. then again, i ain't gigging with it, so i don't know why the snobbery.

the devi ever shoegazer has made me all hot in the pants and wet in the ears.

Baltar

http://ronsound.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=1
Ron makes his copy of the Foxx Tone Machine, which is a better build than the French Toast.  The octave is footswitchable which beats the FT and the original hands down.  The POG is really cool because it does the Hendrix octave thing and organ-like tones too.

http://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog

strangelight

yeah, i really dig the POG. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.  :D

you guys are awesome. i'm gonna blow hours trying this stuff out. sadly a lot of the fancy shmancy ones aren't carried in pittsburgh.

and this melted my face:

VOLVO)))

Yeah, a lot of these goons dont post in gen disc, so you gotta come here to get killer gear advice. Hshs. Post here more, lots to learn. Ill also do your guitar repairs for free.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

strangelight

i gotta keep posting in gen disc. the titty threads are there. and i don't see many prolapsed anuses in here either.

oh man, the wooly mammoth. i wanted one of those years ago and forgot about 'em. jesus.

mortlock

you should hear a bowed upright bass through one of those..

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Baltar

Sorry to thread-jack, but doesn't someone here make the Pharoh Fuzz?  Really good looking pedal, that backs up what it advertises.

EDIT: Just chequed oot the Black Arts page,  $140 is a fucking steal for that gem.  Kudos to whoever makes 'em.

xayk

I dig the Pharaoh Fuzz, but I'm hoping to snag a Machine Head Code Green first:

http://www.machineheadpedals.com/CG.html

I have a proclivity to like loud, abrasive, odd, and therefore only occasionally useful pedals.  But maybe the Code Green will buck that trend.

Also, re: octave pedals, I'm in love with the MI Audio Pollyanna, but they dont pop up used often, and new stock is pretty dry.

Chovie D

Behringer makes a good superfuzz clone (same as that watson which is a univox superfuzz clone..I own the original Unviox, and a couple clones). you can find em new for $30, the behringer that is, the univox will be $300.
Dano French Toast is a Foxx tone machine clone. Used for $15 or new for $30ish? Its good, plastic case but you are not giggin so no worries there.

Octave pedals like the oc 2 suck IMHO.
why? because there are many pedals that will handle the octave AND so much more.
Look at the new  boss ps6 pitch shifter for example.

if its octave fuzz you want...then the french toast at $15 is amongst the best Ive heard.

I love octave fuzz but not for the octave which you can almost never discern anyway. i love them for the overtones. The superfuzz (pete again) IS an octave fuzz, but the upper octave is so subtle it just provides this massive girth instead of sounding like hendrix octave fuzz.(octavia)

another great octave fuzz where you can barely hear the octave is the Octane by Zvex. MASSIVE sounding. $300 tho.

my favorite effect is probably the phaser. a phase 90 is a beautiful thing.

I would say a guitarist should have at least one delay also...in this category for what your doin, i woud recommend the line6 delay modeler...you can have alot of fun with the built in looper and get classic delay models that sound pretty good. its expensive tho.

I would skip the 10 band EQ.

the cheap dano pedals used are an excellent way to try stuff out. the tremolo, phaser, compressor, fuzzes and uni vibe clones are all great from them and $15 each all day on CL.

dont spend on fancy boutique stuff till you have a better idea of what sounds you like.

have fun

Baltar

Chovie speaks the truth!  I haven't looked for a French Toast in a while, but if I see one for $15-$30, I'd snag one in a heartbeat and re-house it.

http://pedalpartsplus.com/

PPP is wicked, I re-housed 2 of my fuzzes including my Hairpie which is my avatar.  The Behringer is a really good way to go too.  They clone a LOT of the EHX pedals.  And again a phase 90 is a great choice.

The EHX Memory Boy is priced to move and has an expression pedal output without having to bolt an old wah to the side.  Also the MXR Carbon Copy is comparable to the Mem Boy and comes in a nice small green metal-flake housing. 

Chovie D

this was taken well over a year ago. Ive definetly made some of my best acquisitions since this photo was taken.

for instance...