On the subject of neck repairs...

Started by xayk, November 13, 2011, 03:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 13, 2011, 10:36:25 PM
See that joint, just shy of the nut, on the fretboard side? That's called a scarf joint, and proper construction for that type of neck starts there. 

xayk

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 13, 2011, 08:42:39 PM
The rest is just wood work. I'm making you zero promises, if you want to send it. I'll try my 100% best, and you may end up with a workable piece, if not, and I can rebreak it using my hand or using the weight of the guitar itself, it won't be savable, and I'll ship it back to you.

I mean, it's already zero percent playable.  How much more unplayable can it get?  There's only an upside.

And I already own a Steinberger P series, so my headless needs are met.  No matter how hilarious or upsetting it may be. Heh.

fallen

To the OP, there's a guy on eBay who auctions Gibson bodies.

I'd give up on that thing and use it as a parts donor for a new body/neck. Sell it on to someone else who feels like building a new headstock for it.

bass sic

So the neck is dove tailed, wouldnt a router do the trick cleaning out the joint for a new neck?

VOLVO)))

It'll never fit right. You'd destroy the body getting it out of the slot. I'm sure it could be done, but if it were anything I put together, it's never coming off.

PLUS, do some math here, based on what I'd charge, just knowing how intensive it is:

Removing neck, no saving of the FB, frets, nut, etc: 300+ with no guarantee of it coming out clean.

Fitting new neck, new fretboard, new binding, fretwork, shaping of the headstock, drilling tuner holes: The full refret itself will cost 200 bucks, not to mention cutting all the slots, this is ALL without inlay, the binding...

No, fuck all that, you'd be well into an 80's LP Custom for the price it'd cost to replace the neck on this guitar. Just sayin'.

It's not all dandelions and butterflies, this is serious work we're talking about.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Can you see the neck joint if you take out the neck pickup? Might be rubbish. I had an SG junior and it had massive gaps around the tongue and marks from where they'd clamped right on it with no caul. Not sure what glue they use, but it might be stuff that steams out. Not convinced that taking neck off is the way to go, but the mechanics of getting it out might be easier than expected.

VOLVO)))

The cavities are finished like the rest of the guitar, I assume. Getting that neck out of there and replacing it would honestly cost more than fixing the headstock at the joint. You have to account for all of the work after it's fitted. New board, fretwork, etc. It isn't a simple slid in, slide out, you know?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

apekillman

i'd go with the electrical aluminum neck.  i think an actual les paul shape with that neck would rule!  the main reason i have been hesitating on buying an electrical guitar is cuz i'm not too crazy about the shapes offered.

jibberish

dump the body for parts. man that is really fucked up. fuck the whole thing.

or take ALL the hardware and make art out of what is left..

i have dibs on the knobs, especially if they are those nice gold ones.

OR make my dream guitar and put an ibanez neck with whammy on that body.
:)

BrianDamage

Quote from: jibberish on November 15, 2011, 04:18:21 AM

OR make my dream guitar and put an ibanez neck with whammy on that body.
:)

Blasphemy >:(
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

SpaceTrucker

Looks like somebody poured fucking acid on it. Damn, what ever happened to gorilla glue and a shitload of clamps?

xayk

If someone poured acid on it it'd probably be easier to salvage.

bass sic

I say pay the 70 you were quoted, I mean ya got it for nothing right? Seven bones for an LP is still a bargain.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Swear I typed 700. It's still a good deal no?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: bass sic on November 17, 2011, 08:54:35 PM
Swear I typed 700. It's still a good deal no?

No. That guitar will never be worth 700 dollars, ever.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

You're over-complicating things again ;D

Get a thru neck blank, stewmac does them, bandsaw the body into three parts, discard middle part with broken neck, glue other two body wings to the new neck.

See, easy ;D

RAGER

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 17, 2011, 10:44:10 PM

Get a thru neck blank, stewmac does them, bandsaw the body into three parts, discard middle part with broken neck, glue other two body wings to the new neck.

See, easy ;D
no carved top?
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I understand not everyone cares about resale value, but the way I look at guitars with neck repairs... devalued. If that guitar was worth a grand, in mint condition, with the original case. A Headstock break, with a GOOD/GREAT repair, makes that a 500 dollar guitar, to me. THIS guitar, with a potentially unrepairable without 30-40 hours worth of work headstock break... is maybe... free? That's what he paid for it. I'd never buy a guitar that had this type of bullshit work on it, especially not for 700 bones. You can nab the most awesome Agile less than that.

If you can find a dipshit retard like me that's willing to work for gear, or just for experience/to see if it can be done, yeah, throw a few tidbits his way and potentially get a working piece out of it. If not, you're out a pedal, and you gained a little extra space in your gear room. If I can't fix it, if anything, I can sell the pickups, and hardware and shit so you at least make a hundred bucks off a free guitar? Sounds like profit to me...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

See, easy ;D

The fucked up part about that, Neck thru guitars can be made to any shape you want, you could just make the blank into a guitar if you want.

Carvin makes great affordable neckthru blanks.

Herbie, Why don'tcha do that for your bass? You can glue hunks of shit from your refuse bin to it, so it'd be punk enough for you... :D :D

Speaking of Carvin...

Sick deal on these drivers

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=PS12-8

EDIT: Carvin has rad deals on a lot of shit, check out their site...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

See, easy ;D

Fuck ya that is a great idea.  That thing would be bullet proof after that. :)
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 17, 2011, 11:24:43 PM
Herbie, Why don'tcha do that for your bass? You can glue hunks of shit from your refuse bin to it, so it'd be punk enough for you... :D :D
See again you overcomplicate things, all my necks are bolt-on ;D

RacerX

Look, here's what you do: Buy one of those neck-through blanks and after a bit of routing and drilling, you swap out all the electronics and hardware onto the blank and pitch the LP entirely. Call it the DOOMSTICK. Done, done, done, & done.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

minimalism, i like it.

or

you could bandsaw the body wings off, stick on a steinberger bridge, sand the end of the neck flush and fit the (I don't know what to call a tailpiece when it's on the other end) and make a steinberger.

or

not saw the wings off, and have a headless Les Paul. For extra points, find some way of affixing the old headstock above the tailpiece, like mount it on a bolt, so people can see that it was an actual Les Paul, and watch the horrified looks ;)