Chandler Lap Steel modification

Started by RacerX, January 12, 2011, 04:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

I'm having my Chandler lap steel's nut/tuning posts modified (again) to accept .075 .065, .050, .040, .030, and .022 gauge strings. I had tried the .065 for the low string, but it didn't have enough tension. Hopefully this will be the last step in this experiment. If it works out, I'll be able to tune her to low C, G, C, E, G, C. This should put her into the baritone range.

I'm picking her up from the shop this afternoon and will restring her when I get home. I'll report back on the results.
Livin' The Life.

RacerX

This worked out very well. The strings all fit, and she's holding the tuning. Sounds heavy as fuck.

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Interesting. Thats the first baritone  6 string lap steel Ive ever seen or heard mention of.
On a double neck pedal steel the lowest string on a c6th tuning would be a .074 A or Ab, but they use it in a completely differnt way than what i am imagining you using yours. They use it ina more jazzy fashion to punctuate solos. They'll be noodlin around all high jazzin it up, be boppin, then dip way down low for a 'booooo-yoooow" type lick...its a really cool trick.

Id be interested to hear the more doomy applications I suspect you have in mind.
Its really nice to see someone doing something different.
Id like to be able  to say that my old men steel friends would be interested, but they'd just condemn you for playing the devils music and being a "socialest" welfare loving hippie.(they think everyone is stil a hippie or communist)

black_out

That's awesome! Blues Doom for life!
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

RacerX

The coolest thing besides the throaty lows I'm getting is that in and above the 2nd octave, the notes have more punch than they did. As I understand it, wound strings send a weaker signal to the pickups, so that shouldn't be the case, but it is. *shrugs* Motherfucker screams.

I'll post some sound files when I get a chance.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on January 13, 2011, 03:20:39 PM
The coolest thing besides the throaty lows I'm getting is that in and above the 2nd octave, the notes have more punch than they did. As I understand it, wound strings send a weaker signal to the pickups, so that shouldn't be the case, but it is. *shrugs* Motherfucker screams.

I'll post some sound files when I get a chance.

Thicker string guage equals more sustain. perhaps that would explain your observation of more "punch"?
cant wait to hear it

db3jed

Chovie D

RacerX

That's mint. They all look like somebody pissed in their potatoes.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

That's a sweet ass video. Everyone looks PISSED. I want to be that guy.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.