Press-on Nails for fingerstyle.

Started by VOLVO))), January 13, 2011, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I'm getting really into hybrid picking, and fingerpicking, now that I'm in a band that doesn't require 230+ BPM to keep up. I have a serious nail biting issue, and I have sausage fingers, to say the least, so unless the string spacing is huge, I hit multiple strings... Do you guys think press-on nails are my solution? I've been reading various experiences on other forums, and most of those people say they're a viable option, most notably... Kaki King. Experiences? Thoughts? Call me a homo?  :D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

when i fingerpick, which is everytime I play nowadays, i use my fingertips and not my nails.
I did have long nails when I was learning classical guitar as a youngster, but those were nice soft nylon strings. Lotsa country fingerpickers have big ole meatball fingers and they manage to hit each string cleanly and with great speed. i would think it would be a considerable pain in the ass to use press on nails unless you are gonna live with em on all the time and ... which would be great if your a coke dealer. I'd try fingerpicks (which I also use everyday but never on 6 string) first. You can get all sorts of fignerpicks in all sorts of materials, etal plastic, bone? with all kind of shapes on the picking part itself.

typically I will hold the pick between my thumb and index fingers and then also pick like hell with the middle and ring fingers. Often i wil do snappy clawhammer style back and forth between the pick and the fingers or jts add little lines with the fnger while still [picking with the pick

watch one of the great fingerpicking masters, Clarence White:

VOLVO)))

I was just gonna keep 'em on. I dont care about looks, just function. Ive tried every finger pick in this town, they just slip off or are really uncomforatable. Ive been watching the old Arlen Roth hot licks video i have, and he has some wicked claws. The flesh tone is good, but i want more attack...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

John Butler has some scary claws, but admit it you just want sparkly green fingernails :D

Chovie D

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 13, 2011, 05:23:14 PM
I was just gonna keep 'em on. I dont care about looks, just function. Ive tried every finger pick in this town, they just slip off or are really uncomforatable. Ive been watching the old Arlen Roth hot licks video i have, and he has some wicked claws. The flesh tone is good, but i want more attack...

try the metal fingerpicks banjo and steel players use. They ARE very uncomfotable and are hard to keep stuck on UNLESS you modify them slighty. Take a small bandaid and wrap it around the part of the fingerpick ring that rests on your cuticle. This will make it snug and comfy. Bend the picks tip to your prefered angle from your actual fingertip. some like the tip bent  right up against the finger like a metal fingerpad, some like em protruding way out like a...long fingernail. You can also use those little sticky padded glasses nose guard thingys instead of bandaids. worth a try, less expensive than lee press ons and you dont have to worry about breaking a nail when you wanna go bowling or fingerbang some chick or whatever ;D

VOLVO)))

I just went ahead and boosted my sister's nail kit from her house, and did the thumb and index, it's actually pretty pleasant, but I am seriously resisting the urge to paint them sparkly green...  ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I've been working on a lot of hybrid picking lately. For years I've thrown in my middle finger for extended diads but I figured to add my ring finger into the mix. I still hold a regular pick with my thumb and index finger and I've shirt nails because I can't stand that feeling of stuff under or pulling from under my nails. I get pretty good attack when dig in for some snap with my fleshy fingers. In just the few hours I've put I. I've gotten a lot faster and a lot more coordinated. It's easier to get clear, punchy, attack on an electric. My acoustic hybrid-picking tone is a bit more mellow but I'm good with that.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

neighbor664

I've been wrestling with finding what works for me for quite some time now. I've tried finger picks and they just never seem to feel right of stay on. Tried growing and strengthening my own nails. That would only work if I never did another days work, ate well and was always healthy.
I just try and do the best I can with my bare fingers or pick and finger combo. Instead of nails it's more like callouses striking the strings.
I'll occasionally play my fingers raw, break a nail or get a cut. when that happens I just put a layer of crazy glue on it and keep playing.

neighbor664

I've never seriously considered fake nails. I seem to remember some famous guitarist mentioning making nail picks (fake nails) out of ping-pong balls. I can't recall who.

El Zombre

I keep my nails just 1/8 of an inch long, and filed in shape like the tip of guitar picks. Never had a problem with broken nails when they're that short. Can even hold my hand, pretend I was playing with a pick, and hit the strings with my index fingernails. Doesn't work for death metal style picking, but pretty much everything else goes. Another thing is after shaping your nails, to file the underside of it @ a 30-45 degree angle just a bit, to make the plucking smoother. It's a once a week ritual, but I've never gotten used to wearing stuff on my fingers to play.

Chovie D

Quote from: El Zombre on January 18, 2011, 05:37:02 PM
I keep my nails just 1/8 of an inch long, and filed in shape like the tip of guitar picks. Never had a problem with broken nails when they're that short. Can even hold my hand, pretend I was playing with a pick, and hit the strings with my index fingernails. Doesn't work for death metal style picking, but pretty much everything else goes. Another thing is after shaping your nails, to file the underside of it @ a 30-45 degree angle just a bit, to make the plucking smoother. It's a once a week ritual, but I've never gotten used to wearing stuff on my fingers to play.

this is what we were taught to do as classical guitarists. We shaped the nail so that there was a pick like tip toward the thumb end of each fingernail. Those were nylon strings tho. I would imagine with 'steel' strings you break a few more nails? do you break alot of nails El Z?

nonoman

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 13, 2011, 06:39:11 PM
I just went ahead and boosted my sister's nail kit from her house, and did the thumb and index, it's actually pretty pleasant, but I am seriously resisting the urge to paint them sparkly green...  ;D ;D

They should match your purse ;)
No good deed goes unpunished.

El Zombre

Quote from: Chovie D on January 18, 2011, 06:04:53 PM

this is what we were taught to do as classical guitarists. We shaped the nail so that there was a pick like tip toward the thumb end of each fingernail. Those were nylon strings tho. I would imagine with 'steel' strings you break a few more nails? do you break alot of nails El Z?

Yeah, I used to play classical guitar - and started keeping my nails that way. I play an electric 95% of the time now, and still no problem w/ breaking nails. I think when they're that short there's not enough torque on the tips to break the nails. Hell, I can even do some pretty thrashy riffing using my index fingernail, no problem at all.