Main Menu

Dumb Muff question

Started by hayseed, January 13, 2011, 02:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

This may be obvious but i gotta ask....
I am looking for a good bass fuzz. I use a Rat 2 (unmodded)right now but i heard a guy use a Big Muff on Youtube.

which is better - BIg Muff (russian) or Big Muff bass?

Or is there something else? not looking to re-mortgage the house for this....
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

i've heard the big muff bass is basically a copy of the ram's head, right?

the russian muffs can almost sound distortion like, but i prefer them over the new york version. sounds less compressed.

i haven't use the big muff bass yet, but have heard really good things about it.

Hemisaurus

I've been using the Behringer SF-300 on bass for a while now, it's basically a clone of the old Boss HyperFuzz.

It sounds great and lets through a good amount of low end (Fuzz 2 and Boost anyways). Hasn't broken down on me yet, it's plastic with a big solid metal plate on the bottom to stop it sliding about.

They're like $24 from Amazon. I've been thinking of buying two and using one for boost and one for fuzz.

Which has nothing to do with EHX, but everything to do with basses and fuzzes (I play a 5'er and go down to A and points below, so I know BASS ;)

VOLVO)))

I can attest to the original hyperfuzz kicking ass on bass, too.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

NoSleepTilSleep

The new Big Muff Bass is copy of the Green Russian Muff (not a ram's head), more or less. If it was 5 years ago I'd say get a vintage green Russian but with the ruhtard prices they've been going for on ebay, I'd go with a new bass muff. They have that added dry signal blend and e/q boost which is pretty awesome and very usable.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: NoSleepTilSleep on January 13, 2011, 06:59:19 PM
The new Big Muff Bass is copy of the Green Russian Muff (not a ram's head), more or less. If it was 5 years ago I'd say get a vintage green Russian but with the ruhtard prices they've been going for on ebay, I'd go with a new bass muff. They have that added dry signal blend and e/q boost which is pretty awesome and very usable.
Where's the blend control? I only see a dry out. Blends are really useful on bass effects, for letting the low-end through ???

NoSleepTilSleep

It's not a blend pot, but a switch that toggles between a preset dry/effect mix or the e/q boost. You can see it in the closeup pic here

http://www.ehx.com/products/bass-big-muff-pi/product-photo

That said, these are cheap enough (esp used) to have modded with a blend pot for the dry control, which I agree, would be way better.

hayseed

ummm....so good bass fuzz comes from ?

answer: THE BIG MUFF(insert preference)!

right?

I will try out the Bass Muff maybe this weekend if i can find one. I hate to just order it having not played it.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

As it's a dumb muff question, I'll have to say

answer: THE BIG MUFF(that you build yourself, based on the green russian but mod'd slightly to pass more bass, because none of the stock Muffs are actually that good on bass, and tend to make them sound pretty thin, even after you tried the Bass Muff at your local Guitar Center)!

Many Muff Schematics

Enjoy :D

Discö Rice

Lumpy uses a really monstrous fuzz with a ton of low end. I don't remember what it's called, unfortunately. Contribution - nothing!
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

hayseed

Ha ha! Hemi, how dare you say i shop at Guitar Center! I have more respect than that...that and the nearest one is 50 mile away!

I may try that Behringer you use. I have had good luck with their pedals(and bass heads).

Disco Rice- You have a mission... find me the name of that fuzz! lol!

Discö Rice

He may not want to disclose. I'll ask him, though.

VOLVO)))

Wooly Mammoth, I'm pretty sure. I remember him talkin' about it at one point. Probably wrong, I'm wrong, got a problem, wanna fight about it?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Fuck with me, fuck with my posse.

Lumpy

Mountain King Megalith, kind of slurs the notes a little (a little muddy), kinda sounds like a super fuzz with a big bass boost. Has way more fuzz than you could need (there's an Extra Fuzz switch that I don't even touch). It's over the top.

I also like Malekko B:assmaster, brassmaster clone (superfuzz?) which is a little more gated so notes have better definition than the Megalith. Doesn't have the same bass boosting power as the Megalith but that's what your amp's EQ is for. They can sound fairly similar at high volume. This one cuts through, loads of texture, and not muddy at all. I went through a few pedals looking for a good bass distortion, and nothing could beat the B:assmaster, but I consider the Megalith a tie.

I never liked Muffs for bass fuzz, sound too muddy to me. Your mileage may vary - the amp, bass and other things (roundwound strings? Pick player?) are all factors. I haven't tried the Bass Muff version. Metal Dave says he likes the black russian muff. A lot of it depends on your other gear and personal taste.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

hayseed

Anybody have any dealing with the Pro Co Juggernaut?
I love my Rat 2 but i wish it had more low end.

This is the Muff I was originally asking about. Found one for $60.
http://images.craigslist.org/3p23o23l55Q05P65R4b1c183cbf470291151e.jpg

Lumpy

Quote from: hayseed on January 14, 2011, 05:24:17 PM

WOW, only 60 bucks?

Seriously, are you a troll? I can't believe some of your questions (should I trade this rare Acoustic rig for a Peavey/Hartke setup?) The black Muff sells for less than that price when it's new.

Want more low end, adjust your amp's EQ - that would be one place to start.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on January 14, 2011, 05:11:41 PM
Mountain King Megalith, kind of slurs the notes a little (a little muddy), kinda sounds like a super fuzz with a big bass boost. Has way more fuzz than you could need (there's an Extra Fuzz switch that I don't even touch). It's over the top.

Next time you gotta show me this "unusable" fuzz. I wonder how unusable it is compared to the FX33 Buzz Box I used to own.

Lumpy

Sorry if my last post was a little negative but JFC... look at Ebay, Google etc to get the basic info which is easy to find.

Most of the really good bass fuzzes are expensive so kudos if you can find a solution under 100 dollars.

You can find Wooly Mammoth and Super Fuzz clones, and if you buy used, you can come close to under 100 (if only somebody would post a thread about good places to shop for used pedals...)

The Riffer

Bass players are telling me this is the shit for bass.

link below.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

hayseed

You are a very nice fellow Lumpy. And so knowledgeable. Thanks for taking the time from your life and responding.

I wasn't sure as to which Muff this one was. I never had one and so i never cared. I found a silver Muff Pi and the Bass Muff for around the $90 area. $60 didn't seem to bad. Also this is my kinda my first adventure into the bass world. Usually i play guitar and i know whats what in that sense. So sorry to upset you "pros" with my mundane questions. HAHA! JFC! KFC!

Thanks for real though.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on January 14, 2011, 05:41:28 PM
Quote from: hayseed on January 14, 2011, 05:24:17 PM

WOW, only 60 bucks?

Seriously, are you a troll? I can't believe some of your questions (should I trade this rare Acoustic rig for a Peavey/Hartke setup?) The black Muff sells for less than that price when it's new.

Want more low end, adjust your amp's EQ - that would be one place to start.

A bass player from a band I used to be in ran some GK SS amp through a Hartke 4x10 and two 18s. She had a killer "David Wm. Sims/Rika Hamamoto" meaty, snappy clean tone, with a Russian Muff for dirt. It worked for what we were doing. Probably not the greatest "DOOM" rig ever but it had a nice balance of thundering lows and throaty, defined mids and highs.

Lumpy

If you like the sound of your RAT, you are already most of the way there. IMO, buying new stomp boxes is a waste of time and money, when you haven't settled on an amp you like, yet... once you switch the amp, it could possibly change the whole equation.

Also, you ideally audition this stuff in a band situation. What fuzzes sound like when playing solo is less important IMO, unless you are a solo artist, or just want something to jam around with at home. Muffs sound cool solo, but can disappear when a guitar starts playing.

hayseed

I agree with that statement about the rigs affecting the sound of pedals 100%. I know when i had my Model T full stack I already had a nice setup on my pedalboard. Little did i know that amp ATE pedals....
I realize it is all in personal preference as to which fuzz is better, which amp sounds better, etc. Believe me I have heard some high end expensive shit that sounded, well, like shit! It is just good to use these discussion forums to get a feel for the gear before you spend the cash and ultimately hate what you just bought.

Oh yeah, about the Peavey Firebass. The end result of that trade was to acquire something that had some value to re sell in order to pick up the gear i wanted(Sunn )  My Acoustic rig is cool and of course vintage and it sounds ok but it is not worth shit. They are gaining in popularity and thus gaining monetary value. If i got rid of that I needed something else to play...hence the Firebass. I did buy the Harktke 4x10 and it is pretty nice sounding paired with a 1x15 cab! The end justifies the means....

No experience with that Juggernaut anyone?

Lumpy

Hey I have to apologize to Hayseed for flipping you shit about buying a Russian Big Muff for 60 bucks... I guess they are discontinued and so prices have went up. They used to be 60 dollars new - I bought a used one for 30 or 35 (shipped), just a couple years ago... there were plenty of used ones to be found, at that price. I just noticed  that they are selling for 80 bucks and up on Ebay (which is crazy IMO - they aren't all that - but maybe the Electro Harmonix collectors want them).

Sorry dude. My bad.