Who here plays something other than stoner/doom/metal?

Started by Ranbat, December 06, 2010, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I've kinda gotten away from playing doomy stuff and more into a surf/rockabilly head lately. Seems I can't get enough of a clean guitar sound lately, especially with some reverb, tremolo or slapback echo. Anybody else love the doom but play something else?
Meh :/

crunkhero

I haven't played in a really heavy band for years.  Currently playing in a honky tonk band and a power trio.  Got lots of Trouble type riffs stored away for the future, though.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

johnny problem

I like playing the heavy, but i'm with you on the clean tone.  Delay, Reverb and Phase are my best buddies.  If only I had a tremolo, chorus and flanger.

Lumpy

I play electronics in a noise band (duo) "Bloater" and also in a bigger experimental free-music type group sometimes "Clutter"

Holy shit, they fucked up Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/bloaternyc/

and the other:
http://clutter.clfrecords.com/
Otis Mangler (Odie from LOMF) and stormzsytem (Indy from Queen Elephantine) used to play in that group sometimes (rotating cast of characters) before me.
I'm on the tracks "Paramecium" and "New Era Happening", maybe a couple others on that website
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

sylvesterlowery

I play some death and thrash metal on the side. Also attempt to play some cleaner jazzier stuff occasionally.
I use:
Ibanez SF 420,Ibanez S-Classic,Ibanez RG 321,Ibanez RG 7321,other Ibanez, Jackson,B.C. Rich, Squier and Hondo giutars
Crate Power Block,Carvin 4x12
Boss,Ibanez,Arion and BBE pedals.
Band-myspace.com/blackholecaravan

neighbor664

Been playing more "traditional" blues, R&B and mixed in with country and Folk/Americana stuff in recent times.
A lot more personal material. One of these days I'll let people here it. It is nothing at all like my last band.

chlorpromazine

I've been jamming with a r&b and blues band for the past few weeks.

db3jed

I love the heavy and that's where my heart lies but you gotta' do what you gotta' do.
I still play in a couple of heavy bands but I've been working with a "show" band for the last couple of years too.
Mainly classic 60's/70's stuff that runs the gamut from Top 40 Pop to Funk, Soul, R&B, and even Cajun and Blues.
Pretty challenging and fun as well.
This is the first band I've ever played in that's got horns.
Anyway, it's expanded my vocabulary as a drummer.
I'm 47 and the youngest in the band.
Most of these dudes were playing before I was born so it's like going to school but in a good way.
Plus I make $200 every time I play with them.
Gravy...

chlorpromazine

That's pretty cool. I'm 35, and the youngest member in the group I'm playing with. I was wary to start with, but a couple of the guys in the band are into really good music, and I'm thinking that we can kind of offset some of the droll and cheesy stuff. This is a chance for me to work those chops that I'd worked so hard to learn years ago and haven't been able to use with the heavier bands.

Good topic.

chille01

My main band for several years is more of a straight up rock and roll, punk rock type of band.  More indebted to the Stones and AC/DC than Sabbath and Deep Purple.  I guess some people would still consider it "heavy", but to me it is more rock and roll than metal.  And we've even been throwing some country leaning stuff into the mix lately too.  I haven't played in what I would call a "stonerrock" band in probably 6 years.

lordfinesse

I like the quiet clean for sure. I like the thickness too though. Somewhere in between is where I usually live.
Billy Squier 24/7

RAGER

I'm not sure what to call us but we're not Doom or Stoner Rock by any means
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

Play bass for The Mother Truckers (face-melting rock/country) and the Eric Tessmer Band (heavy TX cosmic blues). Guitar for my own projects Ironclad (heavy rock) and Ocean of Stars (heavy progressive instrumental rock) and for Shandon Sahm band (originals are stooges/ziggy influenced rock, but we also do amped up sets of Doug Sahm tunes).

Haven't played more stonerish music in awhile, kind of missing it...
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

strangelight

i play a lot of blues and folk. a little bit of jazz, but it's hard to go all free jazz by yourself. it just sounds like you suck. i've been favoring the dobro over the tele lately.

db3jed

Quote from: strangelight on December 07, 2010, 11:39:57 PM
i've been favoring the dobro over the tele lately.

I love a dobro.
One of these days I'm gonna' have to break down and buy one.
A friend of mine came by practice the other night with one he had just bought.
Shit, I could have sat there all night and played on that thing!
Unfortunately we had to get back to practice. :(

strangelight

i just have a shitty no-name one i got in a 30% off sale because it's blue. bright fucking blue. sounds decent enough with a slide, but without it sounds like wet cardboard. still fun as hell, though.

Pure Rock Casey

I play guitar in a metal band and bass in a hip hop band.

I'd love to play in a stoner band, just dont know any other fuckers who are into it and can play instruments

MikeyT

(...but we also do amped up sets of Doug Sahm tunes).
- DannyG

Man, Doug Sahm was the coolest, wasn't he ?

I can't get over songs like Nuevo Laredo, Dynamite Woman, Mendocino, She's About A Mover, Nitty Gritty, Texas Me, Stoned Faces Don't Lie, Crossroads(is that the name of it?), and Texas Tornado. Love the way he combines Tex-Mex, Country & Rock (& more).

mortlock

Quote from: strangelight on December 07, 2010, 11:39:57 PM
i play a lot of blues and folk. a little bit of jazz, but it's hard to go all free jazz by yourself. it just sounds like you suck. i've been favoring the dobro over the tele lately.
may i recommend you checking out mary halvorson for some free guitar. i saw her at the stone last march..unbelievable.

mortlock

oh yeah..i play bass in an all improv experimental scumjazz band..NPV

eyeprod

I also play punk rock, blues, and some country stuff on acoustic.
CV - Slender Fungus

El Zombre

Yeah man free improv is hard - the discipline and vision needed to have songs come out different when w/i each context anything/everything is permissible.
I have fingerpicked guitar songs that are solo songs @ the moment bc I have no time at all to get together w/ other folks. Also play some traditional music w/ my wife.

MikeyT