Who here plays something other than stoner/doom/metal?

Started by Ranbat, December 06, 2010, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

I play pedal steel so, yeah... not much 'stoner' music.

ROWDYBEER

I would love to start a blues/countryish band like the mother truckers. No time. Barely enough time for the band I'm in. I do play a lot of blues when I practice.

clockwork green

I've always wanted to start a surf/psych band maybe along the lines of the Mermen meet the Heads and Jefferson Airplane. I just can't find anyone else interested and I don't have much free time these days since I'm trying to get a heavier, spacey/doom project together where I sing. I'd also love to do a medley of Slayer songs surf style...it translates remarkably well.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bass sic

My dream for a long time now has been to play guitar in a rockabilly band. A little towards the psychobilly thing. Problem is I suck on the guitar, and my one night off a week goes to my stoner band. Im sure with a solid two monthes of practice I could pull it off, but the one or two hours a week aint cutting it.

Barnabas

http://www.myspace.com/gameovereugene

spaz/explosive/mood music (metal)

very rough tracks posted, guitar and drums only. recorded Oct 31 this year. The band is now a complete power trio with a deadly dual vocal attack from the string section. Will be playing shows within 5-6 weeks now. We gonna have a kick ass logo too \m/.

I ain't shook.

Ranbat

Quote from: clockwork green on December 17, 2010, 10:08:46 PM
I've always wanted to start a surf/psych band maybe along the lines of the Mermen meet the Heads and Jefferson Airplane. I just can't find anyone else interested and I don't have much free time these days since I'm trying to get a heavier, spacey/doom project together where I sing. I'd also love to do a medley of Slayer songs surf style...it translates remarkably well.

Funny you should mention the surf/Slayer. Me and a friend of mine are working an EPs worth of tunes up exactly that way. What if Dick Dale was a Slayer fan kind of idea.
Meh :/

Ranbat

Quote from: bass sic on December 18, 2010, 12:00:58 AM
My dream for a long time now has been to play guitar in a rockabilly band. A little towards the psychobilly thing. Problem is I suck on the guitar, and my one night off a week goes to my stoner band. Im sure with a solid two monthes of practice I could pull it off, but the one or two hours a week aint cutting it.

Rockabilly/Psychobilly is my other great interest right now as far as forming a band. You could always go the Cramps route. They started out playing fairly basic stuff but got better as they went along. I really liked how Kristy Wallace (Poison Ivy) played.
Meh :/

Jake

poop.

Chovie D

Quote from: Jake on December 22, 2010, 10:22:55 AM
Quote from: Chovie D on December 16, 2010, 06:26:49 PM
I play pedal steel so, yeah... not much 'stoner' music.

Oddly eneough, I am most often invited to play two different kinds of music. Country and Western swing.
Country I can fake. Western swing I cannot play at all.

L. Ron

Hey Chovie, are you familiar with The Misunderstood at all?  60's psych band with an amazing pedal steel player(obviously his approach is not traditional in this band), if you're not already familiar with them you should check them out.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

Chovie D

I know "Children of the Sun" from Nuggets  but hadnt a clue that was pedal steel. Even now knowing it is pedal steel it sonds more like a whammy bar to me...thats far out, I cant find any footage of the guy playing one or the Misunderstood live. thanks for the tip L.Ron.

Chovie D

I did some asking around. Glen Ross Campbell is still out there somewhere playing steel. I'm not so sure its pedal steel, that might be a lap or console steel with no pedals... I dont hear any pedal movement. That is some crazy shit tho.

mawso

In the old Jam Room it seemed like maybe the majority of people there listened to stoner or doom but played something else.

I just play nasty rock - http://www.myspace.com/oneeightyproof - it's stoner influenced, but def not stoner rock.

I've tried to play straight stoner stuff before but the stuff I come up with in that style always just feels half assed to me.  Whereas when I play straight-ahead rock and roll I often come up with things I feel pretty damn great about.

I listen pretty widely - bands like Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu and E Wiz get a run just about every day, but I also listen to shitloads of hair metal, 70s rock, gangsta rap, thrash, old acoustic blues, grindcore, pop music, classic metal, scandinavian punk, shred guitar, whatever i feel like really

I think people generally worry about genres a bit too much.. most of the time it just comes down to peddling riffs and an accompanying vocal line.

justinhedrick

i play something that a rather drunk friend once quipped was "champaign's only post pop metal band":

www.myspace.com/craneandbadger (our facebook isn't working for some reason?)

hayseed

I have kind of a different situation than most here where i am not playing anything different(or at all right now) ...but I REALLY want to!

I have hit a "musical crossroads" in a sense where I know that I DON"T want to play stoner/ doom at the moment! My last band REALLY burned me out in several ways and  kind of made me hate playing in a band.
I have really jumped head first into what made me start playing guitar in first place- Punk Rock.  I am currently trying to get something together that falls somewhere between the sounds of Motorhead and the Ramones with a little Stooges thrown in. The writing process has begun but it is has been very slow to find people and ultimately get acclimated with NOT playing doom or stoner rock. Also i have made the switch to bass guitar just to change things up a bit for me....keep it fresh.  

Still love listening to doom/ stoner /metal though! 
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC