Hovercraft Amps (merged)

Started by xayk, April 07, 2012, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xayk

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heylookitsnial/hovercraft-amps-kt88-powered-heavy-retro-rock-guit

I know there was a previous discussion regarding Hovercraft and their recycling of, at the very least, Epi So-Cal's.  Much like the recycled amps the Kickstarter is kinda short on details, but I thought it'd foster an interesting discussion amongst our own independent builders and amp fiends.

I like the Hovercraft tones, and I like the idea turning unloved amps into something mildly worthwhile. I think the prices are generally reasonable, but it's still kind of a tough sell to 'mass market.'  Think crowdsourcing is a good idea here?  Think it'll work?  On Facebook, Hovercraft is still saying each one will be different, so is this an effort to bulk buy transformers and eyelet boards etc, or just a plethora of, say, So-Cal's to mod?

Hemisaurus

::)

The implication is it's going to be a quad KT88, which kinda lets the SoCal out. Of course it's only implied, not stated that I can see?

At_Giza

The idea behind this is that he's going to build a line of amps that's completely new. Essentially a customizable design of his own. With the usual "cherry picked" traits of other amps we get these days. He's calling it the "Caribou" (if you've seen what he looks like it's actually a hell of a legit name). Two channels, clean and the fuzzy type channel. So far as I know he's going to let the buyers pick the tube set up they want ("KT88, 6550, possibly KT120 as well as KT90 and KT77 power tubes" according to him) and traits they want. Which I guess is why they'll all be pretty different, if not entirely different.

Apparently he's doing this mainly because he can't keep up with the demand he's garnered from his rebuilt amps. Which is cool, means he's doing well enough. The fact that it's more of a new amp than a re-purposed one makes it understandable that he's shooting for $50,000. I'd like to see him make it, his amps are damned good value, $750 for the first 55 of the new ones, ~$850 for his Andromeda line, and ~$575 for the Andromeda 20s. For amps considered "boutique" (in a manner) that's is grand value.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 07, 2012, 10:12:10 PM
::)

The implication is it's going to be a quad KT88, which kinda lets the SoCal out. Of course it's only implied, not stated that I can see?

don't think u can squeeze 4 x KT88 kinda iron out of that price i think he means 2 x KT88

Hemisaurus

You might be right at that, the FB page says 100W and you don't need 4 KT/6550 to do that, shame.

It is however helluva pretty.

xayk

Yeah, their Facebook page said 100-120 watts-ish.  FB has a bit more info that's clearing things up a touch, and also includes a Dunwich reference!

I'm considering it.

RAGER

Another cool thing from Portland.
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Quote from: RAGER on April 08, 2012, 12:26:59 PM
Another cool thing from Portland.
or Huddersfield, depending on your outlook ;)

RAGER

Yeah there's that.  i've already got the Huddersfield one.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

a pair of Kt88s could get anything from say 50-135Ws, depends on the plate and screen voltage. plate and screen of 560-570 can get 100W or you can do it better by having say 630 plate and 430 screens with a dual supply. 135W a pair say with 800V plate and 450V screens. Getting that kind of split design supply needs the right PT with a good amount of plate current. I think he is trying to get some custom Merc trannies with that 50k seed money which might be doable if he is going to buy a lot of iron

Dave J

Does anyone know anything about the Hovercraft amps?  They apparently have been reusing old amp parts to make some killer amps.  Check out YouTube.  They have a kickstarter project to raise money for a new amp with KT88 tubes, sounding probably like a Matamp or something.

Anyway, I am interested in pledging because they sound cool and this is like getting in on the ground floor.  I am just not sure about the quality.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Hemisaurus

Please merge with Hovercraft Kickstart thread.

fallen

Listen to an interview of the Hovercraft guy on this podcast. It goes into a bunch more detail. He's a guitarist, worked for some interesting companies before starting his own. Has an Electrical Engineering degree I think. It's all here:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast/podcast-50-nial-mcgaughey-solid-cables-hovercraft-amps-0

Mr. Foxen

When asked for users of Laney Supergroups and not immediately going 'Black Sabbath' = fail.

James1214

I'd rather have a delorean hovercraft

words

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"