Naming my new stupid band

Started by beardofcthulhu, January 17, 2011, 09:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardofcthulhu

Ok, after two and a half years of non-activity, I've gotten myself into a new band situation.  We haven't gotten a note written, and I'm being arsed to name the band.  I've done a pretty decent job in the past, naming my own projects, but as we all know, all the fucking good names are taken.  Is it possible to tag your heavy metal band without using the words 'iron' or 'black' or 'death'??  And furthermore, how close can you get to an existing outfit without looking like a complete jackass?  As far as I'm concerned, it's too early on to start worrying about this crap, but you never know when the next myspace musician is going to steal the one good idea you have, before you get that precious domain name..lol.  Thoughts, opinions, etc?
Peace through volume.

Metal and Beer

Is Beard of Cthulhu taken ?

Don't go with "....naut", "....ess" or plural animal names

\m/ Black Iron Death \m/
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

beardofcthulhu

I'm going to start compiling a list of terrible name ideas.  First on the list, not surprisingly, is Black Iron..lmao.  Next up is Shovel Tusk, which sounds badass, but it's just another variance on Mastodon.  but hey, people love big fuzzy elephants right?  It's hard to not sound like a hack...but I'm beginning to think maybe I just shouldn't give a fuck.  I already know that I'll be lucky to ever get a gig outside of Pittsburgh ( if I get THAT lucky), so how much thought should I really put into it?
Peace through volume.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

beardofcthulhu

But tigers hate mustard....or is that cinnamon?
Peace through volume.

black_out

I like the bands. How about The Swamp Thangs. You could all use swamp thang speakers and dress like big foot. A little schtick goes a long way.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

spookstrickland

"Electric Green Panty Sniffer"

that should get you some attention LOL
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Volume

Green Titanium

Blue Nativity

Nascent Dysprosium

ROWDYBEER

Name your band after something local to you. Like a Mtn or a river or a town. Look at some local history. Makes sense since your going to be playing with and for locals. Fuckin band names.

hayseed

Jesus Crust
EYEATEDOG
General Richard Butler"s Sourmash Revival 2
Ham BBQ (sorry Smally, I'm hungry)
The Pooterville Savings and Loan Scandal
Crushed Dutchie

It shame its taken cuz DURAN DURAN is so you!

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

Hot Carl Jr and the truck stop tramps??

Dave J

"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Discö Rice

I'll second Beard of Cthulhu. Or I'll openly steal it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

mortlock

thats too much like to devils gotee..and we all know whats up with that..

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

tossom

"Beige rock"

beardofcthulhu

I think Sofa King Killer would take exception to that.  So far the front runner is LaserPenis.  What aboot CannonBalls?
Peace through volume.

RacerX

LaserPenis!

Nice. The capital "P" improves upon an already great name. Go forth and rock!!
Livin' The Life.

beardofcthulhu

I come to you guys, because obviously there are a ton of bands out there that I"ve never heard of.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes, not even on a regional level.  I went on a tirade against an Erie band a few months ago, named Deadhorse.  Come on.  dead horse wasn't the biggest thing on the block, but they were signed to Metal Blade fer crissakes.  The fake Erie Deadhorse had a canned explanation that they used one word, didn't play metal...blah blah blah.  No respect at all.  They said I was old.  I am, but that's beside the point.  dead horse existed, don't rehash their name!  Swill, would you mind if I used Seahag??  I'll make it one word, and we'll play shoegazing indie shit....
Peace through volume.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: beardofcthulhu on January 18, 2011, 07:59:34 PM
I come to you guys, because obviously there are a ton of bands out there that I"ve never heard of.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes, not even on a regional level.  I went on a tirade against an Erie band a few months ago, named Deadhorse.  Come on.  dead horse wasn't the biggest thing on the block, but they were signed to Metal Blade fer crissakes.  The fake Erie Deadhorse had a canned explanation that they used one word, didn't play metal...blah blah blah.  No respect at all.  They said I was old.  I am, but that's beside the point.  dead horse existed, don't rehash their name!  Swill, would you mind if I used Seahag??  I'll make it one word, and we'll play shoegazing indie shit....
Turn it around call yourself HESHAG

bass sic

What about "Freak Andy"? You could plaster it on the side of the tour van.

Jake

I just dug out a list that my friend and I made a while back. Although not serious suggestions, I personally would pay money to see any band named the following:

Pope John Paul Jones
G.G. Allin Alda
Mastodon Henley
John Cougar Concentration Camp
Landfill Collins
Billy Lotion
Bjorn Cyborg
Hell Toupée
ZZ Bottom
Fifty Foot Mook (very Pittsburgh)
Patron Taint
Dump Cloud