Creepy fingers doomdrive

Started by Clydesdale, January 18, 2011, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clydesdale

I'm digging the audio samples I'm hearing from these.
Anyone using one and want to share there feelings on it?

clockwork green

I find the samples misleading. Its really a high dB clean boost but the clip makes it sound like an insane distortion machine. Whatever amp he was playing and however it was dialed they're a great combination on cranked amps I couldn't get that sound out of it. Once I gave up trying to get the sound of the clip I found it to be a great boost with really tight, deep low end.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

The MXR Microamp and the Univox Unidrive use the same principal of slamming the shit out of your amp to give you more distortion. Brad makes really nice shit, but if you can try out a Microamp, or a clone of a Unidrive, give it a shot. There's something like 50db of boost? He needs to come here, he always gives good advice/tech support.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

*Thread hijack alert*

Clockwork - did you ever end up getting that hold/reverb pedal? That youtube demo for it was badass. It made me want one bad, so I bought a EHX Freeze (1. I didn't have the patience to order the hold/reverb from overseas, and 2., got a Sears gift card for xmas and they sell em online there.) Doesn't sound as good, but it's a pretty goddamn neat pedal nonetheless.
poop.

Hemisaurus

Ya know a boost isn't that complicated.

That's the EHX and the Rangemaster.

clockwork green

Rejacking Of Thread:
I've had the hold reverb for a bit and really like it. It takes some tweaking to get it sounding just right and some adjustment of the levels to get it to sound even but I live the hold feature. So far it's not on my pedalboard just yet but it's the one pedal I use everytime I play at home. I think combining hold circuits in other designs like trems and filters would be really cool. The mother of all reverb pedals is about to come out but I don't think I'm willing to spend $500 for it...the Eventide Space.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

peyotepeddler

Quote from: clockwork green on January 18, 2011, 11:11:55 PM
I find the samples misleading. Its really a high dB clean boost but the clip makes it sound like an insane distortion machine. Whatever amp he was playing and however it was dialed they're a great combination on cranked amps I couldn't get that sound out of it. Once I gave up trying to get the sound of the clip I found it to be a great boost with really tight, deep low end.

checked out his samples a few times, the problem i had, and don't know if its the case with the samples for this pedal, but he was playing through one of those marshall mini stacks, the little ss ones, what are they? 2x10 or something?

anyways, i would figure the scene he comes from and the pedals he is cloning he would use a cranked tube amp of some sort

cheers

Ayek

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 19, 2011, 12:35:24 AM
Brad makes really nice shit, but if you can try out a Microamp, or a clone of a Unidrive, give it a shot.

The Doomidrive is a clone of the Unidrive

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Ayek on January 20, 2011, 01:28:12 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on January 19, 2011, 12:35:24 AM
Brad makes really nice shit, but if you can try out a Microamp, or a clone of a Unidrive, give it a shot.

The Doomidrive is a clone of the Unidrive

Wasn't sure, totally rad, though.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Clydesdale

Yeah so this thing is a boost.
Anyway it could be a good edition!
I might try and hunt down diagram instructions on how to build my own. I've built a few pedals with great success, but not good with schematics yet.

Cheers for the feedback

Hemisaurus

All you need is strip perfboard which you can get at the shack. The red marks are where you break the track with a drill bit or a scalpel. Have you done perfboard builds?

I got this of another forum, and Brad posted that

QuoteThe bottom control is a cap blend on the input.

--Brad

To which someone replied

and here's a gutshot of one someone built.

VOLVO)))

I'll gutshot mine later today, it's built on turret board, though. I've never done a perf board build, I don't know what to connect on the bottom side of the board, kinda sketch.

The difference between these and the MXR Microamp is that the Microamp uses three IC chips instead of the three transistors. The Unidrive is much more organic. Mine is modded, doesn't have the rotary gain switch, and has a high-rolloff...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Depends on the board, a lot of perfboard seems to be this crappy stuff, where you have to link stuff on the backside of the board

the good stuff, stripboard or veroboard has parallel tracks on the underside of the board

which is what that above diagram is based on, you cut the tracks where the red/white squares are, just the track, not the whole board, and otherwise just solder the component to the backside of the board and let the copper tracks do their job. ;)

VOLVO)))

holy fuck, I can buy this online, right? That's a shitload easier than the clusterfuck jumpers and solder-drag...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Far as I know you can.

Seen it at the shack too. It's the only perfboard that was prolific in the UK.